Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the consensus regarding oil filters for the TA?

I did my first oil change on the bike this weekend and used a genuine filter and some Halfords semi synth oil. Unfortunately my dealer didn't have the filter removal tool, only the filter. This made things a tad tricky and I had to resort to puncturing the old filter casing with a screwdriver so I could loosen it.

While on ebay last night I noticed that there is a K&N oil filter that has a handy 17mm hex end on it to make it easy to remove and put on. The price is comparable to genuine but is the quality?

Is it best to stick with genuine Honda or are others OK?

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I think a lot of the problem with oil filter removal is overtightening by over zealous mechanics (home or overpaid confident but often incompetant garage types)
It's been a several of oil changes (cars and bike) since I've not been able to undo by hand (a bit of ummph needed, not just finger tight but def no tools req) I haven't suffered from any drips from the filter.
I have had Hi-Flo Flebay ones for the last few times and usually come in at around or just under a fiver posted.
Just my ramblings.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a lot of the problem with oil filter removal is overtightening by over zealous mechanics (home or overpaid confident but often incompetant garage types)
I think you could be right there, I've only done this one hand tight and no leaks so far. Same on my Landy I got rid of last year, removal and tightening by hand only. I find that once warm you can give them a little extra turn easily and that is usually sufficient.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I too have just changed oil and filter and for the first time bought a chain type removal tool to assist. Totally useless, as it cannot get sufficient purchase. I too resorted to the trusty, albeit messy, stabbing the screwdriver through it method.

It was of course way over-torqued - it was last done by a dealer. You may care to think why this is so....because they want you to return to aforesaid dealer to have oil and filter change perhaps instead of DIY? Cynical moi?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I use hi flow filters, made myself a tool out of a short strip flat bar which just clips round the outer end of the filter. One thing to remember is to make sure you cover the rubber seal in oil or grease, if you don't do this and the seal is mated to the crank case for any length of time it will really stick to it.
The way I judge tightness is to screw the filter on untill it just touches then dot it with a marker pen then move it round a further distance.
No leaks and easy off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
fold a piece of sand paper (or wet&dry)
leaving rough side outside
use this to grip the filter
the friction is transferred from filter to paper to hand and off it comes easily
I have a large socket that fits the filter but it cannot be used on TA or DV as the centre stand gets in the way.
hence my 'alternative'
Stephen McG in sunny but cold Glasgow

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have got a few removal tools that came with the Filters, ( David Slivers )
I had problems with the first filter I had to remove but my last oil and filter change was done using Halfords oil filter removal pliers, they work great.
Always coat the seal with fresh oil and do the filter up by hand and do not use anything else as it could over tighten.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just fitted a Champion replacement filter on mine and decided to buy the removal tool - only to find that the Champion is slightly bigger than the original so I also had to use the screwdriver trick. Very annoying.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I've used honda,hiflo,champion,k+n and a few others, never had any problems. As for taking off putting on I use an old strap type socket, a strap attached to a socket that as you do it up it tightens on the case and undoes the filter, and to put on is the reverse. was about 2 quid about 20 years ago and still going strong. same as one of these... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2-Socket-Oil-Filter-Remover-Removal-Strap-Wrench-Tool_W0QQitemZ250588386440QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3a583b5488

·
Registered
779 Posts
I use hiflo filters, they've been disassembled with a hacksaw and seem pretty stuffed full of filtering material. They're cheap so I don't feel bad about replacing them every oil change. For removal I don't overtighten and clean the filter then use a rubber glove for more friction if necessary. Liking the sandpaper idea also!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts