Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Space Emperor
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads!

I'm currently doing the big loop around northern Vietnam, and I've been riding on super dusty roads for about 10 days now. The big girl is starting to run slightly rough, and I'm thinking the airfilter could use a cleaning. I have a Pipercross foam filter, which is easy to clean, but I don't have the oil it needs after cleaning. Do you know if engine oil or any other oil can be used instead?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Like K&N and others the manufactures are really quite specific as to what type of oil is used
which is why they sell their own formulated oil. I would not use engine oil. From my understanding it will
go through the filter and possibly make it worse. It has to be sticky...and not able to flow through the filter or
damage it.

So I really don't know what to suggest without the possibility of making it worse for your filter and engine. Again, it
has to be sticky. Maybe the juice from a Dragon Fruit. :toothy10:

I don't mean to start a filter wars but that is the reason why I only use paper...especially on an extended trip.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I dont know what bike your on but my xr400 I've used engine oil for the foam filter that comes with the bike with no issues if supplies are short there that would be better than nothing :thumbup:
Just remember the dustier it is the more often you should be cleaning it

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Any oil better than no oil and if I had it to hand I would be looking at some sort of chain oil as it is mighty sticky stuff. Perhaps dilute it with a bit of petrol or something so it washes in a bit better. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have always used ordinary oil, whatever you have available.

Just make a mix of oil and petrol - 50/50 - and squeeze it through the foam. Then let it dry for a while, the petrol will evaporate and oil will stay, then re-install.

This way cleans off easier too, just use soap and warm water.

It's more important to clean the filter often and re-oil it throughout, than to wait for some special "sticky" oil that you don't have right now.

It's your choice though, as always. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a friend that always use "automatic gear oil" because it is thinn. He says it has always been ok. He rides moto x.

·
Space Emperor
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks, guys! Looks like I should invest in a small stock of paperfilters. I thought Pipercross - as oopposed to K&N - were as useful as the original.

For now, I'm approaching Hanoi, so will try to find some filteroil there. After that, I have about 1000km home, so if all goes wrong, I will use some mineral oil for that last bit.

Thanks again!

·
Space Emperor
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No oil for foam filters here ... So what's best, brush off the dirt and go the last 1000km with a dry filter, or use some engine oil?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think that's already been said; any oil is better than none. If you want thick and sticky, try gearbox oil (EP 80 or 90), you should be able to get that at most garages. If you want thinner, use engine oil or similar. It's there for the dirt to stick to, so anything is better than a dry filter. At a pinch, I'd even try used engine oil, rather than leave it dry; your engine is full of it anyway, so it can't be that bad for it! Worst case is, it leaves a film in the carbs, but you can wash that out when you get back and it's still better than getting road dirt in there.:thumbup:

·
Space Emperor
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that's already been said; any oil is better than none. If you want thick and sticky, try gearbox oil (EP 80 or 90), you should be able to get that at most garages. If you want thinner, use engine oil or similar. It's there for the dirt to stick to, so anything is better than a dry filter. At a pinch, I'd even try used engine oil, rather than leave it dry; your engine is full of it anyway, so it can't be that bad for it! Worst case is, it leaves a film in the carbs, but you can wash that out when you get back and it's still better than getting road dirt in there.:thumbup:
Thanks a lot, Tim! Engine oil it is! The road from here shouldn't be too dusty, so I think it'll do until I'm back home

·
Space Emperor
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ended up using some Scottoiler chain oil. Made it back home, and will wash it good and replace the oil with the Pipercross oil. Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts