Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have returned to the forum after a few years away. I had a RD07 that I rode around spain and france and then part restored after 11 years of ownership. My user name used to be africamadness and before that barryw33 and all the photos etc should still be on the forum. I sold the bike 3 years ago and have tried to replace it with a Boxster, DL1000, NC750X, and finally a multistrada that went bang 91 days after I bought it with a 90 day warranty.

Anyway the reason I have rejoined and am posting is this. I have just moved back to Spain and bagged a job working in Gibraltar. My daily commute is going to be 110kms. Parking is a fortune just outside Gib (€17 a day) so have decided to buy a bike and go over the border each day. I have around 5k to spend but will need to have spanish plated bike and second hand bikes are very expensive over here. Anyway there is a RD04 listed that has had a new paint job, seat etc, all serviced with 50k on the clock, it was listed at €1850, but the guy has just reduced it to €1350 as he says that although running fine it has started using oil, it has used 500ml oil in the last 500km(300 miles). i am not a mechanic but know my way around a bike, problem is its 2.5 hours drive away and it from a Spanish guy and my spanish is fairly poor.

Question: Would you take a punt on it?

cheers in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
theres also a fully restored one with red bull paint job for 4900 but its being held for someone else and I only get a chance to buy if other guy backs out. Spanish people are like that, money doesnt always talk. Personally I'd sell to the highest bidder

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The price is very good but there is a problem as you stated. You also have enough money to rebuild or replace engine. Replacing the plastics are the most costly jobs and repainting, You know your stuff round engines definitely worth a look and I have a spare engine in shed if needed lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He says its burning the oil, not leaking it, so probably piston reings or something similar. Problem is that I want to buy to use and not sit in a workshop. When I suggested piston rings to him his reply translated was this

The question is that the bike goes and sounds scandalous that's why I was so surprised. I do not notice anything strange. But...

The bike is located Jerez way and they are bike mad around there. hmmmmm dont know whether to take a punt that's why I was so surprised. I do not notice anything strange. ButThe question is that the bike goes and sounds scandalous that's why I was so surprised. I do not notice anything strange. But

1 - 4 of 4 Posts