Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the top left red light is on my RD04 1990 ? im assuming oil pressure switch light, It comes on after after the engine has got warm and just glows, revving it up makes no difference, turn engine off and after its cooled down the light is off, Im thinking faulty pressure switch ???????? just Bought a genuine oil filter and Shell Advance AX7 10W-40 4T Motorcycle Engine Oil Semi Synthetic 4 Litres 4L and am also trying to locate a oil pressure switch, (BELT AND BRACES) Am i going overboard with this ?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Am i going overboard with this ?
I don't think so. The warning light is there for a good reason; low oil pressure kills engines. If the sender is dodgy, definitely replace it, but check the wiring and contacts before you condemn it. The 'glowing' suggests a poor contact somewhere in the circuit; most likely culprit is the connector at the sender end or the wire attached to it. It gets hot there and the insulation gets brittle over time. Do you have a wiring diagram, to trace the circuit?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
123.JPG Anyone know if this is a join ? im tracing a possible wiring fault with oil pressure switch ? also anyone know what the correct resistance should be for the oil pressure switch ?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The pressure switch normally has 1 wire that earths with no/low pressure to put the light on so check the wiring, particularly at the switch end & where it runs through retaining clamps.
You could do a continuity check of the wire & switch too.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You know the light works you just got to make sure its the pressure switch thats bringing it on and not a fault elsewhere. Take the oil pressure switch out and turn the engine over for a few seconds to check there is oil being pumped out don't forget to put something down to catch the oil, then replace the pressure switch. if there is flow there warm the bike up and when the oil light comes on disconnect it at the switch to see if it goes out if it does there's a good chance its the switch. I had to do the same on my CB a few months after i bought it and it was the pressure switch at fault. oil pressure switch is £52 from lings honda :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Thanks piguglyshandydrinker so no voltage to check just resistance ?
You have voltage as the light works.

Disconnect the wire from the pressure switch, turn ign on, is the light on? It shouldn't be, earth the wire & the light will come on.
Check resistance/continuity between the switch & earth, there should be continuity with engine off & none when running.

As said, unscrewing the switch & momentarily cranking the engine should give a dollop of oil out of said hole.
I doubt it's anything wrong with the engine which leaves the switch or wiring at fault.

Edit; re-reading your first post, the light comes on when warm, so it doesn't come on when first started?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You have voltage as the light works.

Disconnect the wire from the pressure switch, turn ign on, is the light on? It shouldn't be, earth the wire & the light will come on.
Check resistance/continuity between the switch & earth, there should be continuity with engine off & none when running.

As said, unscrewing the switch & momentarily cranking the engine should give a dollop of oil out of said hole.
I doubt it's anything wrong with the engine which leaves the switch or wiring at fault.

Edit; re-reading your first post, the light comes on when warm, so it doesn't come on when first started?
That's what i've been thinking about all day and i can only think of two things 1 the switch is failing when hot 2 when the oil warms up it gets thin and the pressure drops because of worn parts letting the oil pass to easily i hope its 1
Edit i've just been looking at photos of the RD04 dash is your oil light the bottom right and top left a fuel warning light.Is it like the photo on the left or right.

dscf8615.jpg rd07.jpg

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
View attachment 108761 Anyone know if this is a join ? im tracing a possible wiring fault with oil pressure switch ? also anyone know what the correct resistance should be for the oil pressure switch ?
No, it's not a join. They put a little black dot where the wires join, although the 'join' isn't necessarily exactly where shown; they usually run both wires to the next connector, then splice them together.

·
Registered
161 Posts
yep, that's what I was going to say - top-left red light is the low fuel warning. Look under the tank - there are 2 fuel sensors. Red comes on first then amber. I think. Might be the other way round!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
yep, that's what I was going to say - top-left red light is the low fuel warning. Look under the tank - there are 2 fuel sensors. Red comes on first then amber. I think. Might be the other way round!

It's always been amber for NEARLY EMPTY and red for GET TO A PETROL STATION FAST on my RD03/4's but it is very easy for someone to put the bulb holders back in the wrong place on the back of the idiot light assembly.

:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts