Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can somebody assist with this please?

got a new oil pressure sensor as the old one didnt look great, but when I degreased the cable from the wiring loom and peered inside
whatever type of connector was in there is snapped off..

when I look at the parts fiche it just seems to be part of the wiring loom, I tried hamart.. they have them for the 650 and 600 transalp
but I cannot seem to find one ..

what type of connector goes in there? and can I solder on a new one, or where can I get a new cable?

this is all I have

ta

iain

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah the other end.. the sensor has a round opening, but I didnt know if it was a special type of sensor, or connector with a pin in it ...
all the ebay pictures and most of the google images either dont show it, or show a round circular connector.. so just wanted to make sure

I will crimp on a spade so.. and see what happens

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh nice one.. thats perfect, the picture shows it spot on.. cheers for that :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You want something like this :thumbup:
bla104-4mm-ring-terminal-for-14-18-gauge-wire.JPG

·
Registered
356 Posts
Google 'Vehicle wiring products' they have all sizes. You need to know your cable size. They're usually an M4 hole.

Find me on Facebook: MotoTed & MotoRevive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I am in the doo doo now here folks
I noticed a leak coming from the oil pressure sensor. that wouldnt stop..even used to RTV sealant.. but it just keep coming
but when I removed it and put it back look what dropped out onto the floor

I am right in saying this is part of the entire left hand crankcase?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ian, that doesn't look good, looks like the switch has been over tightened and cracked the casing, you may be able to get a good machine shop to weld it up and recut a thread for the switch but you will need to split the casings to make sure you don't get only swarf in the casings, this could destroy the oil pump and therefore stop oil getting pumped round the engine. It may be easier getting another motor and selling yours for spares or repairs, or there are a set of casing on eBay just now,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192090834084
Ideal time to replace the output shaft if needed...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :angryfire:

I put very light pressure on it to put it in.. but if there was any hairline cracks there.. anything I did would have made it worse anyway.. ah fvck it..

yeah I have a local engineering company looking at pictures of it... I might even suggest they cap that and tap a new hole..

can you run the engine without a oil pressure sensor?..what if I just get them to weld up that hole?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well I suppose, I have to factor in the crank case.. then somebody to do the work.. (engine stuff is WAYY beyond what I can do..)

then I am pretty much almost up at a price of a new engine.

I have been quoted 500 euro for an RD04 1993 engine... 750 euro for a 2001 engine, waiting for 2 other quotes..

but a bottle of petrol and a match would only be 5 euro.. and I could burn the bike.. make marshmallows on it.. maybe cook some steaks... have a sing song..

sounding very appealing about now..

just priced the labour for rebuild... 600 euro ... new engine it is.!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Whooooooooooooooooooooa.

Do not burn your bike and do not buy a new engine.

That can be TIG welded in Situ. Although space needs to be cleared. A lug would be created with the thread already cut to take the pressure sensor. This lug would then be welded in place of the old one.

If you want a 'bodge' then a new pressure switch could be fitted with chemical metal expoxy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It could of cracked removing your old sensor, I'm just wondering if there is enough depth in what's left of the casing to flush cut the damage off and tap in a thread to fit an male x female adaptor?

The oil pressure sensor is as already said pretty important, but likely by the time it comes on for real and you react, major damage can have already happened. Blocking the port is an option but if the oil pump fails, count for sure on a new motor, I'm sure some someone here can point you the right way to fix tho

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey Mototed...

ha ha .. no wouldnt burn my bike... just venting.. not after the months I have spent rebuilding..!!!

I showed it to a local engineering company and they wouldnt do it..

so I am going to try and use belzona 1212.. space age stuff... if that doesnt hold.. I will get a new engine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah I am going down to an engineering place to see can I get an adapter than I can set into the casing with this belzona stuff, then screw in the sensor.

This is serious stuff, this belzona goop.... not like JB weld etc... mainly used for commercial purposes

the 1kg tub is 150 pounds and 450gr tub is half that.. but the sound fella I was chatting to said he would sort me out with enough for my repair for a few quid!!

so maybe we can use my wonky motor as a test case for it..... anywho.. watch this space..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wishing you the very best of luck with the repair.
It's a heartsinking feeling when stuff like this happens.
cheers mate.. I actually had everything connected, battery in.. all carbs done.. ready to go.
this new sensor was the last piece to do.. and whadda-ya-know.... kick in the nuts..

anyway... my missus who is a total rock of sense with bikes said to me..

"isnt that your bike , you were rebuilding for the big mongolia trip?? would you ride a bike with a patched engine all the way over there"

so that kinda made up my mind, I am going down to Cork tomorrow to pick up a 2001 engine

Later this year I will get a haynes manual or workshop manual..pair of crank cases and teach myself how to build a RD07a engine...

·
Registered
298 Posts
OUCH ! This does look very nasty...but i'd go with Jakethepeg007 and cut off all the rough stuff to get as flush a surface as possible...and if there is enough depth left for a few threads, i would perhaps source a larger threaded diameter sensor from a car spares shop...they used to do taper ones on older vehicles...the engineering firm nearby may match the thread and cut thread to suit. OR if they use a very large counterbore on the damage so it's proper flat and lap it, make a circular adapter plate with the correct Honda thread in it " LIKE A VERY THICK STEEL WASHER WITH AN INNER THREAD " that can be gasketed and screwed on ! with as many as possible small high tensile cap head screws around the outside into small tapped threads...something like say minimum of 6 off or more x m3 or m4...whatever the existing material will allow...i would draw a nice diagram drawing, and pester the engineers again....of course they would want to see the bike though...GOT TO BE WORTH A TRY BEFORE AN ENGINE SWOP, cost and be less aggro....GOOD LUCK....it'll be a few hours labour though

1 - 20 of 30 Posts