Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to decide whether it's worth buying an RR version of ebay for £50. it would be nice to see the oil temp but then again I keep thinking it's not really needed . help me decide please!

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I would.

Without it there's nothing showing what's going on inside the engine other than gut (or rather toasty inside leg) feeling.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
trying to decide whether it's worth buying an RR version of ebay for £50. it would be nice to see the oil temp but then again I keep thinking it's not really needed . help me decide please!
Oil temperatue aint worth worrying about the one to worry about is oil pressure

·
Registered
279 Posts
For an extra 50 quid you could get a trailtech vapour unit with a very accurate oil temp sensor, very re-assuring as you can keep an eye on the actual oil flow efficiency to the head.

Heres one fitted -

DSCN0195.JPG

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I wouldn't recommend them to a dead man, i had 3 on my XR and not 1 lasted 12mths ( thats why i had 3 exchanges under guarantee)really poor build quality and definatly don't like water or the cold

·
Registered
279 Posts
Really surprised to hear that, but then again i didn't keep the bike for a long time so wouldn't know about the long term durability.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
What, the trailtech or the RR dipstick?

The latter lasted me a decade and was still in good nick when the bike was falling apart around it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the heads up but if i do go for one i think i'd rather pay more for the RR version which is reputedly decent quality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yesterday, I bought this one on ebay: ÖLTHERMOMETER Honda XL 600,NX/FMX/XR 250/650,CBR900 RR . It is JR brand and cost me 29,80 € shipping incl. When I fit it on my FMX I can tell you how it works.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes ..keep us updated would be great to have some feedback. I only mentioned the RR one as based on anecdotal evidence it seems to last a long time whereas others have apparently not been so reliable . I think the RR is made in Germany and the rest are far east copies unless someone knows different?

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I think the main thing to keep an eye on is the rubber O ring. The one on the RR was fine even after a decade of (ab)use, the one on the cheap knockoff on the GS fell apart quite soon meaning I had to fish bits of O ring out of the sump :rolleyes:

The remaining gauge works fine though, other than the O ring there wasn't that much difference in it. The plastic "glass" might not be petrol proof on the cheapies so might discolour a bit if you're clumsy enough to get petrol all the way over onto it. ;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the main thing to keep an eye on is the rubber O ring. The one on the RR was fine even after a decade of (ab)use, the one on the cheap knockoff on the GS fell apart quite soon meaning I had to fish bits of O ring out of the sump :rolleyes:

The remaining gauge works fine though, other than the O ring there wasn't that much difference in it. The plastic "glass" might not be petrol proof on the cheapies so might discolour a bit if you're clumsy enough to get petrol all the way over onto it. ;-)
I will take care of the O-ring then. For sure, after know that, I will replace it before install. If the glass are plastic for sure can be easy damaged, so Ill take care too. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here you have the two photographs of my JR oil temp gauge/dipstick:

My feeling is that works really fine. First test was a comparison with another one ambience digital temp I have, getting both on cold water and warming on the kitchen. Both match the temperatures.
Today I did my first ride with the gauge installed (original O-ring used, Ty:thumbup:), fresh morning on south Spain (about 19ºC). First surprise was how slow the oil temp raised, about 12 Kms to get the oil about 90ºC, then oil still slowly raising to 115-117ºC at 120 Km/h on the highway.
On the mountains roads, at very high speed (about 160 Km/h, the others bikes was BMW 1200 GS, Kawasaki ZZR 1400, Yamaha FZ1 and Yamaha FZ6), on a section of 20 Kms, 75% time full throttle, the oil temp raised to 133ºC, that looks me too hot and I speed down the bike.
Returning home, 25ºC ambience and constant 130 Km/h, oil was 119ºC.
So Im happy having something on my bike that shows what is happening on engine. To me, not "an unnecessary luxury".
Im sure now that here in south Spain I will need a oil cooler for summer use with some oil flow device (thermostat or bypass). If you like to ride fast (at 130 Km/h or more) , you can need one (except in Sweden winter).

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
First surprise was how slow the oil temp raised, about 12 Kms to get the oil about 90ºC,
Sounds about right. Indeed, it takes longer than you think. Another surprise for me was that during winter sometimes it doesn't get properly warm at all. I've had days where it barely cracked 60ºC...

The absolute temperatures don't really matter but you'll soon get a feel for what is normal and what isn't, and that is indeed not an unnecessary luxury. How's your oil consumption anyway? Keep an eye on your oil level after those high speed high temperature runs, if it uses more oil during those it gets too hot, if it still hardly uses any oil then it's (apparently) ok. In my experience on the NX 110-120 ºC was normal.

Looks good, too. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I check oil level very often, and after those days of fast ridding or very hot days, I saw the oil level gets lower, about 4-5 mm on the dipstick (maybe a few cc of oil). Im going to install an oil cooler for sure. When you make work the engine hard you must protect it. Agree with you 110-120ºC is the normal temp on normal use on this motor, but I like lower it for no engine damage when I ride fast.
I´m lean on mixture too; when my jets arrive for sure the temp can go down a few ºC.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My take on this is - it depends on your personality type. In my case I don't want an oil temperature gauge because I'd just spend the whole time looking at the damn thing and worrying about it.
Honda built the bike to be reliable, just ride the bloody thing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You're not kidding!
I have had the misfortune of owning a CB400/4 (sh*t), CB250RS (utterly sh*t), CX500 (I could cry just thinking about it), Superdream (we all know about these, right?). There are, however, a few Honda bikes that I love - CG125, C90, VT600 and of course anything with the RFVC engine!
In general though what I meant was that it (the temp gauge) is an unecessary worry generating tool.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am agree with you Bobn when you say if you buy a reliable bike you don´t want to worry more than normal of it. Of course depends on your personality type and riding style. But people use to make themself some medical check occasionally if your health is important thing for you. Thats where those kind of extras (like oil temp meter) shows their advantages. You dont have to be the whole time looking it, but if you check it one or two times while you are riding, you can make an idea of what is normal or not (avoiding expensive failures), even you can change your riding style to make your engine more reliable that it is.
My little Honda ANF 125 Innova is on a open heart surgery, and the last two days I used my FMX to go to work on a "normal" engine use. This way I noticed the oil temp is around 100ºC, so if you always ride on normal use you don´t have to worry about oil temp, only for the level and maybe the pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts