Honda XRV Forum banner

OK, I'm assuming it's the fuel pump :(

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Steve C 
#1 ·
But just in case, any helpful hints appreciated!

Plenty of fuel - about three-quarters full, bought petrol from the garage on Chiswick roundabout last Friday.
Started bike on full choke, then turned down to half, trickled down path to road, choke all the way in, everything normal, set off for work, still everything as normal, got half a mile, bike hesitated then faded, then died.

Engine turns over, but won't start. No fuel in the visible part of the fuel filter, fuel pump pretty hot.

Hung around about five mins, tried to start, bike splutters then springs into life but soon fades and dies.

Wish I'd got around to getting a fuel pump for the cupboard for this day :(

Too busy :(

Anything I should be looking for apart from fuel pump?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
PS, put Tank Bag on this morning and loosened the rear two bolts on the tank looking for somewhere to put the rear strap - no good so just put the bolts back in.

#3 ·
I think you have guessed it... if you want to "know" by pass pump and see what happens...

#4 ·
Thanks Xander. Ho hum, just getting the plastic off to get access and wait for the pump I ordered to arrive...
I'll probably bypass the pump if I can make the feed tubes reach though, just to be sure.

#5 ·
I did as Xander suggested and bypassed the pump. Bike runs OK ;)
Oh I wish I'd made time to sort this out earlier... :crybaby:

At least I was only half-a-mile or so from home... got muscles in me spit now from pushing him home :naka:

2-hours for the RAC man to come and scratch his head :scratch:

#7 ·
Hey there Doc :)
Well, I'm hoping that my new Facet pump will arrive tomorrow and I have the time to cut off the unwanted tabs and squeeze it into the round rubber before I set off for Leeds - or I'll be leapfrogging from petrol station to petrol station all the way there - and back! :(

I've seen suggestions that it can work normally again after apparently failing, but I'm like you - I'd find it hard to trust that it wouldn't stop again half way up the Mway.

#8 ·
Don't worry,

We've all been there with riding after a breakdown. Be positive, otherwise it will affect your riding and then you WILL be in deep dodo. I was on a thread about replacing the original pump with a Facet ---- dead easy

good luck

#9 ·
OK guys, listen up, if your bike stops 'cos the pump dies, hit the pump with something (a good rap with a spanner from the "tool kit" will do the trick)

if you can do this while turning the engine over, and it fires up again, you've found the problem.

You can keep riding the bike, with the need to hit the pump getting more and more frequent until it refuses to work, or jsut use this as an emergency get you home "fix", and then get a new pump (recommended)
End of.

#11 ·
Did you order it from here?
Oh; and don't forget to emphasise how little the bike costs (compared with public transport or a car it saves you money - honest!) - AND how small your carbon footprint is :D

#13 ·
Well, just so's you know...
The Facet didn't arrive this morning so I went with Helmet Hair's and others' strategy and hit it, while turning the engine over. Then I hit it some more, then I got a bigger spanner, then I hit it a few times, then I thought about it and worried about running the battery flat to add to my woes, then I hit it a few more sharp taps and stopped as nothing had happened and the pump was starting to look like it's been in a fight.
So I reconnected fuel feed direct to the tank outlet and started the bike. No probs here :)
Then I realised that I could clearly hear the pump going pocketa-pocketa-pocketa and sure enough, it was ruining like a dream :D
Reconnected, ran for a few mins, sorted my Scottoiler while I was down there, started him again just to be sure, put him back together (I'd got all the plastic off yesterday expecting to poss take the tank off for access today) and started him again.
So far, so good.
I'll let you know how I get on going to Leeds today and back again at around dawn tomorrow, into a shift in Chiswick and home again tomorrow night :brushteeth:
Needless to say I've put the bits n bobs under the seat and charged my mobile!
:blob8:
Only form of transport I have... so I'm up for it if he is :love6:

#15 ·
Ha! Well, I was glad of your advice when my scientific approach was failing!
Seeing your sig line: "Bubbatta-bubbatta-bubbatta-bubbatta...... " I suddenly see its significance :D
I'm pretty sure mine was going: "pocketa-pocketa-pocketa" but for how long? :bom:
It's like the closing scene of Blade Runner :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.