Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads

Motorcycling riding and quaffing fine ales..............Well its like this I now ride my Restored / loved Africa Twin every where , to work , to home to bed . Im welded to it . The last couple of night's while slumped over the handle bars in the bedroom waiting for day break the age old question of MPG came calling so the department of reasoning was alerted .

Bike (Rd04) is in KM so at 260 KM Yellow Light "ON"
349 KM Yellow light still "ON" and waiting for RED light to come on.

Before you say it have backup fuel in Givi box (not sploshing around in Givi box but in container in Givi Box).

So while all this is going on Im out with all manner of equipment making very accurate measurements , recording excact data and well really making a balls of it on the old conversions so much so that my bike was knocking 65 mpg , while I would like this I knew that whilie riding the bike like it was robbed all the time 65mpg was really , well just not possible with me.

So I found this
MPG calculator UK miles per Gallon - calculate MPG

And I recon I could be doing 45 mpg with non standard can and choke not pluged . If I do cap the choke what mpg improvement should I expect???

Great to be back among the unhinged

J

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I reckon that's about right for an RD04. You could ride like a woos and get it closer to 50.:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I must ride like a real wuss as I get mostly 55+ mpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well its like this I now ride my Restored / loved Africa Twin every where , to work , to home to bed . Im welded to it . The last couple of night's while slumped over the handle bars in the bedroom waiting for day break
:lol::lol: I must remember that one :lol:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK
Experiment X001 "Opperation eye Ball"

Tank filled to max capacity 23 ltrs
RDO4 Driven until YELLOW WARNING LIGHT IS "ON" in this experement 250km activated YELLOW WARNING LIGHT.
RD04 Driven until RED WARNING LIGHT activated in this experement RED WARNING LIGHT did not activate (bulb working sensor failure).
RD04 Driven until fuel runs out this happens at 358km.
Right Hand side of tank petcock is now switched to on position.
RDO4 Driven until fuel runs out of reserve at 388km.

1 ltr of fuel in GIVI BOX added to tank and driven to station.

Summary
23 ltrs
250 km yellow warning light
....km no red warning light (sensor non function)
358 km switch to reserve tank
388 km fuel out

Bike 47.65 mpg (Open to correction)

Experiment X002 "Big Ball"
Will run bike at 80km constant and compare output.

Jonny

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
now ride it like you stole it , and see what happens:D:thumbright:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats the problem mate have the balls twisted off the bike and wondering why I can pass every thing bar a filling station. ;)[HR][/HR]

·
Registered
687 Posts
sorry to butt in, but doesn't the fuel economy depend on the weight and aerodynamics of the rider as well? so in that case I would imagine the ideal rider would weigh 20kg,be tall enough to just fit behind his windscreen and have a a bald head shaped like a rugby ball....i just have the head:p

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
sorry to butt in, but doesn't the fuel economy depend on the weight and aerodynamics of the rider as well? so in that case I would imagine the ideal rider would weigh 20kg,be tall enough to just fit behind his windscreen and have a a bald head shaped like a rugby ball....i just have the head:p
**** the size of me i must be getting 20 to the gallon:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
OK
Experiment X001 "Opperation eye Ball"

Tank filled to max capacity 23 ltrs
RDO4 Driven until YELLOW WARNING LIGHT IS "ON" in this experement 250km activated YELLOW WARNING LIGHT.
RD04 Driven until RED WARNING LIGHT activated in this experement RED WARNING LIGHT did not activate (bulb working sensor failure).
RD04 Driven until fuel runs out this happens at 358km.
Right Hand side of tank petcock is now switched to on position.
RDO4 Driven until fuel runs out of reserve at 388km.

1 ltr of fuel in GIVI BOX added to tank and driven to station.

Summary
23 ltrs
250 km yellow warning light
....km no red warning light (sensor non function)
358 km switch to reserve tank
388 km fuel out

Bike 47.65 mpg (Open to correction)

Experiment X002 "Big Ball"
Will run bike at 80km constant and compare output.

Jonny
RD04 has a 24litre fuel tank, The RD07 had 23 because the sprockets were altered to improve fuel consumption.

I can get the yellow warning light on (still 7 litres left in the tank) in anything between 160 miles and 185, sometimes more if I have been riding in a nice steady groups sight-seeing.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I've been leaving my ARDCases and top box on the bike complete with all my tools, fixings tray etc (Lazy :grin:) and noticed about 20 miles less to a tank. Rear tyre wear went up too! :(

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got really pissed off during the week now that I'm a daily rider with my Oxford heated grips. Never bothered me when my bike was a "oh its a nice day think Ill go for a spin" .

Got the right hump on Tuesday and started the whole google thing ,then rang Oxford and in fairness they said "send us the unit and we will seewhat we can do" .

Its the two button model with the4 LEDS so see what happens.

This week was also turning point as well with regards to lights now riding in the dark in the morining and dark in the evening. Bought a new battery and a set of secondary light like the ones some of the riders put on the crash bars .

Question where is the est place to cut into for power for these lights and whats the best replacement headlight bulb?

Thanks men.

Jonny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts