Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or other west coast sea-farers...

Basically, do I need to take tie-down straps for Mallaig - Armadale crossing?
Planning a long ride home, Edinburgh to Gairloch via Dunvegan & the Bealach, next Friday (after last MSc exams); have to make the 10.55 boat though, meaning c. 05.00 depart from the south :pale: Thought I'd inject something new by breaking my ferry-cherry... Hoping for mirror-seas & vanilla skies, expecting Maui level surfing waves. Wondered how Cal-Mac do at securing the bike for a whole 30 minutes?
Be visiting a cousin in Kyleakin too, so will drop into your establishment if I get there during opening hours!
Cheers in advance,
Rob.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Last time I did the crossing the lad tied my bike down for me.

It does seem though if it's flat calm they don't bother and even when I asked once they said it wouldn't be necessary. I just go with the flow.

Reactions: rgarrioch

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Our bikes were tied down when I crossed on that route about 3 years ago. It was fairly calm but not mirror smooth. In my experience the guys at CalMac do as good a job as any ferry operator I have ever been on.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Hill Rider
3,095 Posts
In my experience the guys at CalMac do as good a job as any ferry operator I have ever been on.
Lets hope the ferrymen that take you over to Sardinia and Sicily are as well trained - Safe journey matey and see you on your return.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Lets hope the ferrymen that take you over to Sardinia and Sicily are as well trained - Safe journey matey and see you on your return.

Steve T

Not if they are anything like the Patra/Ancona crossing where we had to scout for bits of rope & tie the bikes to "somewhere" - most of which had been undone by the crew when we had returned to the bikes. Presumably they didn't like us using the pipes/rails or whatever.

But yes the Mallaig crassing was well tied last time I used it (quite a few years ago)

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mallaig crassing
Yorkshire does Teuchter? :D
Thanks for your reassurance men - discovered a couple of those wee spring-jawed webbing straps in the cave, might as well sling 'em in the topbox / tankbag; just a multi-tool & we're ready for anything!

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts

Steve T

Aargh why did you both have to say things like that. I have just had to go and squeeze some tie downs in now.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Sorry to hijack rob's thread but finished packing tonight. Not taking camping gear means there's loads of room but we are still travelling light - giant loop tail pack thing and a small tank bag each. Hull to Rotterdam ferry at 9pm tomorrow so plenty time for a relaxed run over avoiding the M62. I think we will stay in Maastricht Sunday night - either the "Boat hotel" or Stayokay hostel, but after that it's just a vague route south with a couple of destinations in mind but nothing we are committed to.

I will start a thread and Post some pics before long.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I think we will stay in Maastricht Sunday night
Sorry to add to the anguish... ;-) But lock your bikes to something solid and/or each other there. Or park it next to a GS. :mrgreen:
Maastricht is legendary for bike thefts, being as close to the borders as it is.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not if they are anything like the Patra/Ancona crossing where we had to scout for bits of rope & tie the bikes to "somewhere" - most of which had been undone by the crew when we had returned to the bikes. Presumably they didn't like us using the pipes/rails or whatever.

But yes the Mallaig crassing was well tied last time I used it (quite a few years ago)
when we did Ancona to Patras it took 2weeks for the seat to reshape itself after they strapped the bike down so tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts