Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe, but may just be for someone who surfs successfully.

Have been trying to find out the weight of petrol, so I can work out how much more the bike weighs when its filled up.

Surprisingly, this relatively useless nugget of information is proving elusive to find, even after trawling Google.

Anyone out there know the answer?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very impressive! I guess you didn't restrict your search to uk.

Ok, so how many litres in a yank gallon ... 4?

(Yes, I am bored at work too).

PS - downloaded the Simetric evaulation software in an attempt to get the answer, but there way too much info on there to get something as simple as weight without knowing what I was doing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok - we're there.

My calculations come out as 24 litres of petrol is going to add about 8.5 kilos onto the weight of the bike. Cool!

Err ... what now - bored again - supposed to be writing test conditions for system interfaces in the World's most disorganised investment bank, who've also made matters worse by outsourcing their IT to a well known software 'solutions' company. What a joke.

·
Registered
117 Posts
landyandy said:
writing test conditions for system interfaces in the World's most disorganised investment bank, who've also made matters worse by outsourcing their IT to a well known software 'solutions' company.
PARDON???!!!????

Must say, i'd have thought that 24 litres of petrol would've been heavier, what a pleasant surprise!!!

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I seem to remember that at room temperature a litre of petrol weighs about 0.75kg and diesel about 0.8kg. So a 23 litre tank of fuel should weigh around 17kg. Can't find a website to confirm that yet though...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blimey, my calculations are way off then. Perhaps I'll just bung the tank on the bathroom scales, then fill it up!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I just assume its water which metric weights are supposedly based on. 1 litre+1kg. Or something like that any way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
24 litres will weigh 17.69kg based on the weight of 737.22 kg per Cubic metre given on the simetric site linked above.
Haydn

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
YEN_POWELL said:
I just assume its water which metric weights are supposedly based on. 1 litre=1kg. Or something like that any way.
And now for the egghead bit...

The kilogram is the last remaining base unit of the SI that is still defined by a material artefact.

The international prototype is kept with its six official copies in a vault at the BIPM (Bureau International des Poids et Mesures).

The international prototype was manufactured in the 1880s of an alloy of 90 % platinum-10 % iridium. Four of the six official copies date from the same period.

In addition, copies of the international prototype have been manufactured by the BIPM for use as 1 kg national prototypes. The first of these were distributed in 1889. Since the 1880s the BIPM has produced more than eighty 1 kg prototypes in Pt/Ir.

The BIPM also maintains a number of 1 kg copies for current use

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
What iswoolley said :scratch:

Actually I also went on the assumption that fuel was around a kilo a liter, good thing they did not sell it like that then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts