Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My darling wife, Rachel, has been granted a six month sabbatical from her lecturing post at the National University of Ireland, here in Galway and intends to spend it at the Environmental Research Institute in Thurso.

So, tell me about Thurso. Other than it being way North. :D

She will need somewhere to live, obviously, though I probably will not be able to spend the whole time in Thurso with her - I'll have to look after the house here in Galway, unless we can find someone to look after it for us.

So, thoughts, opinions, recommendations are all welcome.

Thanks

Tony (aka Lutin).

Edit: Forgot to say, this will be the second half of this year from July onwards. Oh, and will be over in May or June to have a first look round Thurso - might even turn this into a bit of a holiday and bring the bike.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
So, tell me about Thurso. Other than it being way North. :D

Err. That's it. It's way north. Actually there are call centres and one of the best biking roads in the country there. But basically it's way north.

Did I say lucky git?

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
First thought is --- TAKE THE BIKE !!! :thumbup:

There are some really good roads up that way, in fact you will probably still find Geoff hooning along between Ullapool and Durness ( his favourite stretch ) :D Fantastic bit of road to ride on and good views :thumb:

We are currently working on the de mob of Dounreay power station, which is, I suspect, where your wife is going to be involved. The de mob will be active for a number of years.

I will contact the guys on site after the Easter holidays to suss out somewhere to stay.I think they are renting in Thurso.

Generally, we rent a house for the duration of the contract, depending on the contract duration and the number of guys involved.
The times you are looking for are close to the tourist season, so best get in there quick and get sorted out sooner rather than later. Some of these lets are booked for a year in advance:confused:

Anyways, I will be in touch. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rachel's area of interest is groundwater - specifically groundwater inputs to coastal waters. Some of the guys at the Environmental Change Institute are into the same area of study, apparently.

The nuclear stuff is my side of things - if you can say having the majority of your work experience in the nuclear industry (albeit power generation).

Rachel is currently waiting for response from the bods in Thurso, as she only learned of the successful sabbatical bid just before Easter. But she has been in contact with them for some time discussing the possibilty of going there - they were all for it, as I suspect that they don't get too many visitors. I might be wrong......

Any Lowflyer, thanks for the heads up regarding accomodation.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
It has a superb surfing wave

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Popeyes bar at Scrabster was good when i was last there,

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, this is getting serious now. Looking to have a bike trip up to Thurso in the latter half of May. This is so that the other (and obviously better) half can have a look see at the Environmental Research Institute before her sabbatical starts in July.

So, do we go clockwise or anticlockwise? Where's good to stay / see / eat etc etc.

Will be getting the ferry over from Larne to Troon for a kick off. Would like to hook up with friends in Oban and Dunfermline on the way round. Whichever way around we decide on.

So any of you Celtic folk have any suggestions / would like to meet up for a bimble / can suggest B&Bs - all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I suppose it depends on how many days you have.

Let me know and I'm sure we can come up with a good itinerary

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Yep,

Always up for a wee thrash :D:D

You can stay at mine if you like, show you around the loch :thumbup:

It'll cost you several large drams of course :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Looks like we'll be over for the major part of a fortnight, Rachel has to be back for exam board related things. And I think she'll want to spend a couple of days in Thurso. So, let's say 10 days and work from there.

Anyone offering accommodation should expect a dram or several. :thumbup: :D

You might be cheaper in B & B :D:D:D

Keep in touch :thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Well with 10 days the world is your lobster. Have a think about places you want to see and we can take it form there.

My top ten are

Durness
Ullapool
Applecross
Glen Coe
Skye

and 5 other places

I suppose you should also see my home town of Edinburgh

Actually just about anywhere north of a line between Glasgow, Stirling, Perth and Dundee is worth seeing but the further north and west you go the better it gets.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Well with 10 days the world is your lobster. Have a think about places you want to see and we can take it form there.

My top ten are

Durness
Ullapool
Applecross
Glen Coe
Skye

and 5 other places

I suppose you should also see my home town of Edinburgh

Actually just about anywhere north of a line between Glasgow, Stirling, Perth and Dundee is worth seeing but the further north and west you go the better it gets.

Oi matey,

You forgot INVERNESS --- Capital of the Highlands ( and my birthplace ) ---- you bachle :D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Oi matey,

You forgot INVERNESS --- Capital of the Highlands ( and my birthplace ) ---- you bachle :D
That MAY well be one of the other five.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay, here's a plan. Maybe not the definitive plan, and it may change, but a plan none the less.

Friday 14th May - Troon to Oban. Stay with friends 2 nights (to be confirmed).

Sun 16th - Oban to Portree (possibly) via Mallaig ferry.

Mon 17th - Portree to Ullapool.

Tues 18th - Ullapool to Durness.

Weds 19th - Durness to Thurso. Stop in Thurso 2 nights.

Fri 21st - Thurso to Inverness.

Sat 22nd - Inverness to Dunfermline. Stay with another friend but just for one night. Might want to drop into Forth Gear, whilst in the area - over hte bridge and back again. :D

Sun 23rd - Dunfermline to Troon. Hopefully via the A71 and NOT the motorway!

Not huge distances per day, but I'm on holiday dammit. :D

So, any thoughts? Ideas for places to stay - or, more importantly, places to avoid. :D

Anyone up for a bimble - even if it would be mid-week?

This is only a plan and could change........... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
i flew to Inverness and then went to Skye this weekend. wow! rode a bike back down to Dorset.
one thing i was told was to not drive past a petrol station without topping up the tank,as it can be a LONG way to the next one.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I did the same route once ina small camper - I have to say Scotland is superb - nearly as good as Wales !!! Ha ha
I drove the opposite way around to you - one thing to consider is the prevailing wind and sun - will you ride into it or with it and it was very sunny the time I went - I must go again on the AT

it's just those midges - I never saw any how come?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Tues 18th - Ullapool to Durness.
I assume you are planning to B&B

Also go via Lochinver and Achmelvich. The roads are narrow and slow but there is loads to see.

In Durness I can recommend Foinaven B&B Durness run by Carol Keith (whose family also own the campsite and pub). The Craft village and Smoo cave are a bracing walk away and worth a look.

Ullapool, Ross-Shire, UK to Durness, Lairg, Sutherland, UK - Google Maps

I'm also up for a rideout. Keep us informed of your plans

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I assume you are planning to B&B

Also go via Lochinver and Achmelvich. The roads are narrow and slow but there is loads to see.

In Durness I can recommend Foinaven B&B Durness run by Carol Keith (whose family also own the campsite and pub). The Craft village and Smoo cave are a bracing walk away and worth a look.

Ullapool, Ross-Shire, UK to Durness, Lairg, Sutherland, UK - Google Maps

I'm also up for a rideout. Keep us informed of your plans

Cheers Boris, that's just the sort of thing that I'm after. :thumbup:

I'm hoping that we will not have to book B&B's, but just get somewhere to stay the night by turning up on spec.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, ferries booked. Will be landing on Scotland's fair shores on evening of Thursday the 13th of May (a week tomorrow) and leaving again on Sunday the 23rd May.

Itinerary as stated previously with a certian dose of "ish" to the destinations each day, ie Troon-ish, Inverness-ish - I'm sure you get the picture.

Anyone have any comments on the SYHA hostels? Might be a bit less wallet bending than doing B&Bs all the time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts