Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would the filter have worked properly the wrong way round? also, is it a hard and fast rule to mount a facet pump narrow side to the frame as stated somewhere on this very helpfull site thanks

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Probably more Yen than me :D I just looked in the book.

Although I do have a new filter somewhere and don't remember seeing anything on it that made it especially 'uni directional'

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Don't know about the filter for sure , but if it's been on for a while any dirt will be on one side, so you wouldn't want to mix it up when you put it back. I've never seen a fuel filter without an arrow so there must be a reason the flow has to go one way.

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
I fitted a fuel filter to a gpz750 years ago and got it the wrong way round. Would not go above 75 and would not rev out suffered fuel starvation I always check now:violent1:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I fitted a fuel filter to a gpz750 years ago and got it the wrong way round. Would not go above 75 and would not rev out suffered fuel starvation I always check now:violent1:
I had a faulty fuel tap on my GPz750, it was flooding the engine overnight. Kawasaki manuals were brilliant in those days. I read in the manual how vacuum taps worked and decided that the spring wasn't closing the tap off when the engine stopped.

I tried a stronger spring that I found lying around which cured the leak but also starved the engine of fuel at high speeds. In the end I put the original spring back but with a shim underneath it to give it a little bit more oomph. This cured the flooding but still let the tap open fully so didn't cause fuel starvation problems.

I alsways wonder if someone still has that bike (It'd be 21 years old now), has opened the fuel tap to put new seals in and is scratching there head as to why a 5 pence piece is inside.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I miss my old gpz there was something about the 750's.
I was alot younger then of course.

Ahh, you must have been rich, I could only afford the black n white model!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
That's a fantastic pic! I love the XR3i in the background and the Cortina.

Proper old school atmosphere to it :thumbup:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
That's a fantastic pic! I love the XR3i in the background and the Cortina.

Proper old school atmosphere to it :thumbup:
1990 or 91 that was taken I think, Mutley Plain in Plymouth, my 2nd GPz750. Picture taken by a photography student at the college there, hence the black and white film which was considered arty.

I had the trip from Mile End in East London to Plymouth down to 3 and 3/4 hours (in rush hour) then and without using any motorways apart from a short stretch of M3 to pick up the A303. I often couldn't hear anything except engine for a few hours afterwards so it was about then I started to wear earplugs.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I know that feeling :D what was your average speed for that journey? :angel9:
I think it was 250 miles so that works out at 66.6 mph, but I did have to constantly overtake caravanners and I had to stop to fill up twice usually (I used to top up every 100 miles cos of the strange LCD fuel gauge those bikes had).

I learnt years later that one of the first ever speed cameras was being tested on a road in West London that I used to pass through (A316 I think) on that journey. Luckily they were only seeing how they would function rather than nicking people.

Lastly, let me add that I don't condone speeding normally (well I do but not to excess) but I was on a promise every weekend then so time was of the essence, as I had to be back in work by Monday morning. I raced an off duty policeman for about a 100 miles one Friday evening, but stopped in the end to put my air seat on cos my backside was killing me. The bloke came back to see if I was alright cos I'd just disappeared and he was worried. He suggested a coffee which was how I found out his job (he was a redundant dolphin trainer with a defunct safari park before becoming a rozzer).

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I miss my old gpz there was something about the 750's.
I was alot younger then of course.

Remember the fancy swing arm, lovely looking thing, I was told the only reason it was on there was because of the production racing rules. If they wanted it on the race bike it had to be on the bike being sold to the general public. Coulda been rubbish though.

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
Oh yeah the gpz's were very trick I thought. Always wanted to do a big wheel conversion but it got forgotten then the bike was moved on.I had zxr runnung gear for it too. Another of my fav's the h series zxr's with the hoover hoses. That was when kawasaki were top of there game.
To me the 550's 750's and the 1100 gpz were the ultimate bikes suppose they still are really.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts