Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on the little R65 and went to remove the rear swing arm for some cosmetic work and to check the bearings, pulled back the rubber boot on the drive shaft coupling and one of the 4 drive shaft connecting bolts dropped out on to the floor. :(

It got worse. Turns out the shaft was only being held by a single bolt, the other 2 were still caught in the boot, by the look of the heads they had been reused when the previous owner had the shaft split to have the frame powder coated even though it's specified they should be replaced with new each time.

Don't want to think about what could have happened if I'd not pulled back the boot.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Lucky escape there Roger. Probably more a case of forgetting to torque them up rather than reusing them

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I suppose I'll never know the exact reason but I have to admit not torqued correctly is very likely. The bike has covered about 300 miles since the rebuild and given 3 bolts came out and how difficult the things are to torque correctly without the proper tool it's very possible.

This morning I shall mostly be making a special tool in preparation for the arrival of new bolts tomorrow. :D

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
That must've had some odd vibes then when running. Yikes. I'd say not torqued up enough, indeed. If 3 of them came out in 300 miles, you'd have noticed soon enough too.

Still. Not the worst place to have stuff come adrift. I once rode across the country only to find this grinning at me on arrival:

That was definitely a case of a lot of thought very pointedly not going there.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Interesting that, Rubberchicken, considering how much force is needed to normally remove that item!

And Thunder, pop to the PO's house and just stand outside staring with a maniacal face;)

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Yeah I thought so too. My theory is that maybe the nut cracked or something, as I'm 100% sure it was on there and torqued up to 107 Nm given that I did it myself under guidance from a friend who showed me how to do that little song&dance with the bearings. So two pairs of eyes on it making sure it was done correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts