Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One step back, Or Bugger! as it is sometimes known!

I set about putting right all those little things that bug you when you get a "new" old bike, the worn bit here, the missing screw there, well I am sure you get the idea. For me it was fit the newly aquired sprocket cover, which first meant getting some allen bolts, which then meant cutting down the only ones I could get locally, but we persevere and the jpb is done.
Next it was time to look at the steering geometery, as I had noticed that when riding in a straight line, the handlebars were off centre, so undo fork leg clamps, rest front wheel against post and give a little push on the bars to get things back in line, re-tighten clamps, then a quick ride down the road and back to check, and all is much better, but the bars still seem a little out. Now my old bike was used mainly for off road use, and as such the odds are on the fact it had been dropped more than once, and to that fact, it has already replacement Renthal bars fitted at some time in the past, so I was wondering if these had a slight bend in them. with the bars duly removed, they looked pretty straight when laid on a flat surface, so I had a look at the rubber mounted handlebar holders, and the left one looked a little off line, so I put a socket on the retaining nut to remove it and , snap. off comes the nut with the thread, so I guess it has been hit at some time, so no riding for me this weekend, as I now need to source a new handlebar mount.

So when you are cleaning your bike, and you see that little thing that niggles you so much you reach for the tools, take a deep breath, reach for the keys instead, and go for a ride, the little niggle can wait, you know it will only end in tears anyway, so why bother now.:rolleyes:

·
All the gear...no idea
472 Posts
tell me about it.

was watching tv last night (plasma) and noticed a bit of blue patching on one part of the screen so had a fiddle with scarts to make sure they hadnt come loose and then notice that patching is spreading all over the screen, ok when watching something but noticable on the sky tv guide. anyway have a check that nothing is interfering ie move the wii, remove vga cable. then notice that there is a loud buzzing noise coming from the back. So take back cover off and have a look, but nothing noticable, so think sod it will have to live with it. so put cover on turn back on and sit back..........BANG

thatll be the end of that tv then

oh well that'll teach me

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Next it was time to look at the steering geometery, as I had noticed that when riding in a straight line, the handlebars were off centre, so undo fork leg clamps, rest front wheel against post and give a little push on the bars to get things back in line,
Top tip:

Push the gaiters all the way down, and put a piece of mirror across the bare fork legs (that is, the shiny bit).

If you can rock it back and forth then the forks are misaligned. (Or bent.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One step back, Or Bugger! as it is sometimes known!

I set about putting right all those little things that bug you when you get a "new" old bike, the worn bit here, the missing screw there, well I am sure you get the idea. For me it was fit the newly aquired sprocket cover, which first meant getting some allen bolts, which then meant cutting down the only ones I could get locally, but we persevere and the jpb is done.
Next it was time to look at the steering geometery, as I had noticed that when riding in a straight line, the handlebars were off centre, so undo fork leg clamps, rest front wheel against post and give a little push on the bars to get things back in line, re-tighten clamps, then a quick ride down the road and back to check, and all is much better, but the bars still seem a little out. Now my old bike was used mainly for off road use, and as such the odds are on the fact it had been dropped more than once, and to that fact, it has already replacement Renthal bars fitted at some time in the past, so I was wondering if these had a slight bend in them. with the bars duly removed, they looked pretty straight when laid on a flat surface, so I had a look at the rubber mounted handlebar holders, and the left one looked a little off line, so I put a socket on the retaining nut to remove it and , snap. off comes the nut with the thread, so I guess it has been hit at some time, so no riding for me this weekend, as I now need to source a new handlebar mount.

:rolleyes:
I don't seem to be able to find a replacement, so I wonder if any of you have one kicking around?

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
if it is the same as the slr yes what year dommie do you have, if it is anything after 1990 it looks hopeful, all ihave to do is find it in one of my sheds
merv

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
Kevin
That looks the same send me your address and i will post you one, just checked the EPC again and the 88 dommie bracket is listed as the same number as my 97 slr
merv

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
in post this morning 1st class so you should have it tomorrow i hope
merv

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
Good glad to hear it arrived safely, good to know i have helped and it fits, happy biking, take care, i am away to holland in the morning so see ya when i get back
merv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts