Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my carbs back a few days ago and fially go around to fitting them this morning.
I started the bike up and now its peeing oil from the chamber under the airbox. I can hear oil sloshing around inside the air box.
Does this mean I need a new airbox or would a healthy dose of araldite fix it.

Wizard

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Is it definitely oil? The crankcase breather feeds into the air box but there's also another pipe with a cap on the end that is under the bike that collects water.

Take the cap off, it's only a sop to the eco-weenies.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah is certainly oil. I, ll check the breaher and take the end off.when I took the airbox off before I sent the carbs away I noticed a fair bit of oil in the airbox, bit I had flipped it over so the oil that was in the breaher housing might have been transferred into the air box.
Although saying that no actual oil has come out of the air filter housing, its only ever come out of the breather part.

Regards
Gerard

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
What's the oil level like? The crankcase should only vent oil vapour into the air filter housing, to be burnt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi oil level is normal, or it was a few days ago. I, ll check it again once I put the air box back on

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Worst case is excessive crankcase pressure which can be caused by worn bores and/or piston rings or some other top end problem. But you would notice a drop in oil level quickly together with poor running and starting and burnt oil in the exhaust.

Best case is its overfilled and just needs some oil taking out.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would make sense, but it was fine before I sent the carbs away to have the float valves looked at.If I get time tomorrow I will check the oil level and put the air box back on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all.
Right I put the bike back together and snipped the end off the engine breather pipe coming from the air filter.
Started the bike up and out poured a load of black liquid.
It looks like a mixture of oil and petrol !!! There if a whif of petrol so I put some in a jar to see if it separatesi switched the engine off and checked the sump oil level and it was full to the brim with the same thinned down oil like liquid.
Is it in anyway possible that when I put the carbs back on I have crossed a pipe over and am now putting petrol straight into the sump.
If anyone can help with this I would be eternally grateful.
Regards
Gerard

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Can't figure out what's going on there. The petrol goes into the filter - pump - carbs - engine. The only thing I can think of is that there is something sticking in the carbs and it's allowing petrol to fill the carbs to the point of flooding the cylinder head, seeping past the rings and into the sump. Breathers are just that, they vent off gasses and liquids. Can't see any other way the fuel is getting in the oil apart from getting in through the intake manifold, seeping past the rings and into the oil.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike was running fine until I had the carbs done

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Exactly. So something in the carbs is causing your problem. Did you use a genuine seal kit for the carbs? Does the exhaust smell really petrol'y? I think you will need to strip the carbs again and see what's going on in there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with an old trails bike years ago. Something in the carb was sticking and just continually flooding which was then finding its way into the sump through the cylinder. Can't remember exactly what the problem was but a carb rebuild fixed it. I think you're definitely on the right lines with a carb problem.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
You've probably got a float stuck, or a float valve not seating correctly in one or both carbs, and what this is doing is allowing the float chamber to overfill to a point where petrol is leaking constantly through the carb, into the cylinder, and then into the sump, mixing with engine oil. Has your oil level increased, or does the engine oil in the sump smell of petrol?

If this IS the case, do not run the engine, as your 10w/40 will probably be as thin as water!!! (and I know, because it happened to me!)

Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi
Seems like this is the problem.the carbs were sent to nrp carbs in Manchester becacuse petrol was coming out of the carbs overflow pipe.
They had the carbs for over 4 weeks and replaced the float pin and valve.
The oil is indeed as thin as water and overfull with a whiff of petrol.
I put some in a jar to see if it seperates failing that I will see if it is flammable. .
Looks like the carbs need to come off again.
I emailed nrp yesterday but it might be a few weeks before I get a reply because they are crap at communication.

Thanks for all the help so far

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Odd's are they have fitted the wrong float pin or valve or both, damaged something or not put it back together right?

Carbs are very reliable. There is very little to go wrong in them. Sticky floats, worn jets or diaphragms getting holes in are the usual ones. Usually problems occur as they become gummed up. All that's needed is a good sonic clean and they are right as rain.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had a GPZ900r years ago that had a bad float needle on one carb and overnight it managed to get into a cylinder and fill the sump with petrol.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
+1 for a dodgy float valve. Sounds like you need a better carb service company; it's not that complicated. I'd suggest you don't bother trying for flammability: if the oil's over-full, thin as water and smells of petrol, what else could it be?

While you've got the carbs off, drain the oil without running the bike. If it's already been run on the contaminated oil, fill with cheap, clean oil and spin it on the starter with the plugs out for a while. Drain and discard, it will probably stink of petrol. Personally, I would repeat the process with fresh oil and discard again, to make sure it's all gone. New filter, too. Might sound expensive, but it's cheaper than a damaged engine. I'd also do it quite soon, as you don't want the petrol forming varnish in the engine as it evaporates. Any point in trying to get the carb company to pay for the oil?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Job done she is up and running.the float valve was put in wrong.drained the old oil stuck new stuff in.dunno if its worth trying to get my money back or just tell folk to avoid nrp carbs like the pox.
Thanks for all the help and advice.
Wizard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts