Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since purchasing the budget priced (new 'uns could be had for 5.5k at the time) 650 Strom just over a year ago, it struck me that this is one of the few recent bikes that has managed to break the '9 month honeymoon' period!

As I'm now Transalp-less it'll be here a while longer.

Overall, the finish looks to be holding up well, the layout is pleasant & access to various components looks decent too and it certainly seems less fiddly to do stuff on than a 650 Alp. The headlights are great, theres a decent bit of storage under the seat (for a modern/abs bike), the seat even clicks into place easily without jiggling.
Stock seat comfort is great, the engine is refined & performance is certainly perky enough, with a 10k redline it's happy to rev, a little more low rev torque wouldn't go amiss but I guess thats where the litre bikes come in....

Economy & tank range is brilliant - 70mpg/300mile range is achievable easily enough with a bit of moderation which drops to low 60s mpg/260 mile range when out playing with the boys....
I deliberately ran it empty the other day to check tank capacity & range. It conked out at 325 miles & took 20.8 ltrs to brim (at 330 miles) giving 72mpg which is better than a kick in the nuts.

As usual, screen selection is an ongoing issue, the suspension is 'ok' but still a bit budget.
The stock exhaust is woefully muted & lacking in tone - even for a modern bike, a diy baffle mod and de-cat helped no end.

The bike is a bit more road focussed than the Transalp, being a bit more stable when pressing on round the twisties at the expense of a bit agility in the very tightest of twisties that the Alps excell at.

As a genuine do it all allrounder, it's great

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Phil

Nice review. Just back from touring the Schwartzwald with a mate who chopped his in for the new 1000. He still reckons the 650 is a more usable all-round bike though.

Have you had to adjust front shims yet? Getting the front cams back in was interesting on the older 650. I never went near the tappets on my old TA so can't compare the procedure.

Apparently there was a recall which affected some of the new 650s, something to do with valve clearances going out of spec too quickly, possibly due to soft metal in cams. I think the affected bikes had cams replaced.

/td

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had a letter from Suzuki as my bike falls within the recall range.
If bikes that are due for recall are below 2500 miles they automatically get new cams and buckets, above that mileage it's a clearance check, IF the clearances have opened up, new cams & buckets get fitted otherwise they are deemed fine.

Researching the net, it seems very very few bikes worldwide (with over 2.5k) have required new cams & buckets so it seems a very isolated precautionary recall so fair play to Suzuki as it must have cost them a bob or two.

I wanted to get well over the 2.5k cutoff & I'll check them myself over winter as I really, really can't be bothered with dealers and like to have a poke about, grease stuff, lube exposed connectors etc.

Anyway, what are you riding nowadays?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, another thing.
Suzukis service schedule harks back to the dark ages, I reckon there's plenty of scope for a bit of flexibility in there....
Oil changes at 3750 miles, iridium plug changes at 7500 miles!!!
Cripes, my 25yr old vfr has 8k oil change intervals.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Been on a GSX1250FA for a couple of years now. Up to 40K miles with no problems, very relaxed riding position and loads of grunt, loving it.

Yep agree about service intervals - maybe they do it to keep the dealers sweet? I was advised by a bike mechanic that if using Comp4 I could double the interval, or stick to the suggested interval if using Super4. I have always played it safe and stuck more or less to suggested intervals and expensive oil, but I tend to do high mileages before changing bikes so I like to be kind to engines, and I'm not paying mechanics for oil services.

My bike is used all year round in all conditions and the only parts showing signs of corrosion are the Givi racks. Givi should up their game IMHO.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nice review Phil. I was sooooooooo close to buying one of these until another bloody KTM came along :toothy9:

Glad to see that you're enjoying it, fancy a go on the KTM at the national, we could do a swap for 20 mins or so.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bob, that's a kind offer and would be so tempting. Maybe too tempting.
I've always had a soft spot for the KTMs. Maybe in a few years when the rumoured 800 twin becomes a proven unit.....

But then it'd have to be fuel efficient. I'd struggle to go back to a ~50mpg bike

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice review Phil

·
Hill Rider
3,087 Posts
Excellent write up Phil :thumbup:

Gotta admit that the Thou version has got it's claws into me :thumbright:

You've got me pondering whether or not to bring it or the F8GS south to Kelso in September.

Guess I'll be tossing a coin come packing time as too which machine makes the trip :rolleyes: ;) :thumbright:

See you soon

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to admit Steve, I rode the thou' at the Suzuki demo day and was fair chuffed with it, nice & chuckable, not too bulky or heavy with lovely big twin grunt.

TD, surprised you are still on the 1250, weren't you thinking of chopping it in a while ago?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts