Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed a deteriorating ride quality on the old Alp of late, tried a different back shock, stripped & greased rear linkage thinking that fork oil was maybe a bit heavy after the last change a couple of years ago, I syphoned some out & added some 2.5wt, tried different tyre pressures hmm still bashed & thumped over bumps & pot holes.
The rh fork seal started leaking recently - so time for a full rebuild methinks.

With new oe seals & a full bush set on hand, the not too old oil came out black and sludgey.
What I didn't expect to see was the lower sliders PTFE coating worn away leaving bare metal, never seen any that worn before!

New (left) vs old

The top bushes looked good but were replaced anyway.

Let's see if I gain some refinement back :)

Over the years: a respoked rear wheel, new rear rocker cover, new fork gaiters, then steering head bearings & now fork bushes, this 13yr old is starting to resemble Triggers broom!
Still, shouldn't complain really, she's had a hard life.

Phil

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
is'it it grand to be able to sort it your self and not be at the mercy of a teeth sucking mugger with a spanner I know they are not all like that but a good few of them are fond of the few pound and try it on with those they think they will get away with it on but its not just mechanics its right across the board . human greed is immeasurable .

I seen a great videao on how to change fork seals on youtube dellboys garage how to change regular type fork seals . handy for anyone who has never changed their own fork seals and a nice trick for an affordable seal and bush driver :thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Blimey Phil,all that.What does that amount to,a few hundred quid.Careful or everybody will think there not reliable and go out and buy a BMW. I bet very few bikes with 80 odd thousand miles on have had so little go wrong with them and cost so little to keep on the road.Brilliant bikes I say.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'me wondering if there was any play detectable in the forks ? and how thick the coating is on the bushes. How did the fork spring length measure up ?

Quote Tranman

''Blimey Phil,all that.What does that amount to,a few hundred quid.''

------ If the Alp was a BMW he would be halfway to bankrupt by now :lol:​

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'me wondering if there was any play detectable in the forks ? and how thick the coating is on the bushes. How did the fork spring length measure up ?

Quote Tranman

''Blimey Phil,all that.What does that amount to,a few hundred quid.''

------ If the Alp was a BMW he would be halfway to bankrupt by now :lol:​
Funnily enough the fork play was not excessive, in fact barely noticeable between old & new bushes.
The coating is, err, thin!

I did not measure fork spring length, I think I measured them when I changed the fork oil a couple of years ago & they were within spec.

Still, had a run out tonight & all feels good :)

I had a spirited run to the Yorks Dales on Bank holiday Monday, matey on an 800 Tiger couldn't keep up with the old Alp & said ''I had forgot how quick you make that thing go'' lol

Phil

·
Registered
897 Posts
Funnily enough the fork play was not excessive, in fact barely noticeable between old & new bushes.
The coating is, err, thin!

I did not measure fork spring length, I think I measured them when I changed the fork oil a couple of years ago & they were within spec.

Still, had a run out tonight & all feels good :)

I had a spirited run to the Yorks Dales on Bank holiday Monday, matey on an 800 Tiger couldn't keep up with the old Alp & said ''I had forgot how quick you make that thing go'' lol

Phil
That's what I imagined the play might be similar, but the PTFE coating isn't there for nothing it must make the sliders move that bit easier/quicker and it sounds to be back on form.

Bet the alp and a good rider can beat many a higher rated bike on the right roads :) ( not me these days old fart with a bad back :lol:) its the first V twin Iv'e ever had and Iv'e been amazed how the engine likes to spin :D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Here's a vimeo video of a 600 Alp, I am sure most of you have already seen it but it does fit with T Alp's comment "Bet the alp and a good rider can beat many a higher rated bike on the right roads"
Makes me chuckle every time i see it.
https://vimeo.com/7982248
https://vimeo.com/7982248 hope this works best thing I seen in a long time , oh how I laughed :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
With new oe seals & a full bush set on hand, the not too old oil came out black and sludgey.
What I didn't expect to see was the lower sliders PTFE coating worn away leaving bare metal, never seen any that worn before!

New (left) vs old

The top bushes looked good but were replaced anyway.

Let's see if I gain some refinement back :)
Phil
Might be more than just the bushes, Phil. That home-made fork leg in the background looks a little worn to me....

·
Registered
897 Posts
thetimkirby ( quote )

''Might be more than just the bushes, Phil. That home-made fork leg in the background looks a little worn to me....''

Yeah I was thinking the same, didn't think hickory would be much good for that its out of round and wasted away in one part
:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts