Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its 2017 and yours truly is up to his old tricks again.
I found this online for £500 and I told jnr if he gives me half the asking price it will be his next project.:blob8::blob8::blob8:
Its a 1983 Kawasaki Z 650 with 34000km on the clock but it hasnt run in a few years.
Should I or should I be happy with what I got?

$_57 (3).jpg $_57 (1).jpg $_57 (2).jpg

As jnr wisely pointed out ,"I sold my last moped for more than that".:teeth::teeth::teeth:
Ere we go again....lol....;););)
Happy new year to you all.

·
Stone Crazy
5,300 Posts
Should be ok , i got one of them in the shed rougher than that though , but on the road , most likely problem will be starter sprag clutch , can be done with the engine in though ,

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Should be ok , i got one of them in the shed rougher than that though , but on the road , most likely problem will be starter sprag clutch , can be done with the engine in though ,
I spent about five years riding one of these and didnt have any problems that I couldnt suss out.
I even remember how to do the maths when you have to work out how to do the bucket shims when you set the valve clearances which I did twice when I owned it.....:thumbup:
Balancing the carbs was a doddle and the point of this exercise is to point jnr in the direction of how bikes used to be back in the old days before they get legislated out of existance ....
Thanks for your positive input though mate. ;)

PS, WTF is a starter frag clutch? I dont think mine had one and if it did it was fine.:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Z650B ? with the drum rear

New Member from Denmark | Kawasaki Z650 and KZ650 Forum

Shame the seat is beige - I had one like it but in black on Z400J many moons ago. Slap some flat bars and a nice kerker / alpha exhaust on it to boost popularity with your neighbours :protest:

Thanks Wicky ,just what I need to convince Jnr to get his wallet out.
As this will be his project ,I promised to pay half and sort the transportation to Germany out....Nice one mate.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only just found it on the web today so we need to contact the guy about going down to take a look at it.
I also need to make sure jnr coughs up his half of the price and arrange a car and trailer to drive the 300 miles to go get it if it aint been sold already.
This is going to be his project while he is riding his DT 125 LC for the next couple of years...
Should keep him from wasting his money in pubs and on those naughty Danish girls and other such things that tempt todays teenagers...;););)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Change of plan as the owner of the Z 650 hasnt replied to my e-mails or telephone messages so we found a different bike and the owner has replied to my mails.
I just need to make a plan to drive down and get it.
This one is a 1980 XS 400 with 20000 miles on it and it has just passed its mot in Germany.
The guy wants €950 but I knocked him down to €850
Here is how it looks now.

$_20 (2).jpg

This is something like how it will look if I have anything to do with it.:cool::cool::cool:

0a966a040960924cadf9a620566dd64a.jpg

As its Jnrs first big bike project ,he has the final say in the design dept.
As I have taught him well over the years we have the same tastes.:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Scouse, is it old enough to skip the Danske Told go Skat bastids ? :)
Yes it will ,any bike over 35 yrs old is the rule but the told og skat bastids make new rules up as they go along.:(:(:(
This bike is restricted to 27bhp so Jnr can legally ride it after he does two years on his DT125 and then passes his next licence which restricts him to 34 bhp.
We will register it as 27bhp.
Jnr wouldnt dream of de-restricting it to 38 bhp ,and I wouldnt advise him too honest occifer....;););)
I probably wouldnt suggest a big bore kit for it either.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
One thing I like about Denmark is you dont have to MOT your bike every year once its registered , only when you change owners so we can register it ,modify it and as long as he keeps it ,no one will be the wiser......shhhh ,dont tell anyone.:angel2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts