Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im working on my Sis in Laws Twin and have a teeny problem, the choke cable connector that screws into the carb is snapped, does tyhisw come as part of the cable or can you buy it seperately?
Also i believe that tihs bike is restricted, Ive taken the carbs off (as far as they would come!!) and taken off the rubbers that the carbs mount to the engine on. Should these be "striaght through?" the ones on the bike are closed down from roughly 38mm to about 22mm.

Thanks for help:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Also i believe that tihs bike is restricted, Ive taken the carbs off (as far as they would come!!) and taken off the rubbers that the carbs mount to the engine on. Should these be "striaght through?" the ones on the bike are closed down from roughly 38mm to about 22mm.
Yes they should be "Straight through".
It seems You have restricted ones.

New unrestricted ones can be had from WeMoto or David Silver

http://www.wemoto.com/

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

//Kjell

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Im working on my Sis in Laws Twin and have a teeny problem, the choke cable connector that screws into the carb is snapped, does tyhisw come as part of the cable or can you buy it seperately?

Thanks for help:thumbup:
The choke cable connector?
if you mean the small metallic piece attached to the cable and the 90degree plastic pipe going into the carb?
Its over £50 from Honda per carb as they only sell the choke parts as a kit:(
You really have to be VERY careful when taking the carbs/ choke mechanism apart
Dooh

:thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The choke cable connector?
if you mean the small metallic piece attached to the cable and the 90degree plastic pipe going into the carb?
Its over £50 from Honda per carb as they only sell the choke parts as a kit:(
You really have to be VERY careful when taking the carbs/ choke mechanism apart
Dooh

:thumbup:
If I find who broke it I will pass on your kind advice.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
DO you need anything else apart from these? I found a web site that suggests just cutting out the restriction which I did however it still runs like a slow thing!!!
What model do you have?
RD03, 04, 07 or 07A?

There could be changes in jettings.

I presume you have an German import?

The RD03 I have hands on experience from, and that model only needed new carb rubber inlets.

It could be worth a check on the German Africa Twin web site and see if they know more about the restrictions (Assuming you have the German market model)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What model do you have?
RD03, 04, 07 or 07A?

There could be changes in jettings.

I presume you have an German import?

The RD03 I have hands on experience from, and that model only needed new carb rubber inlets.

It could be worth a check on the German Africa Twin web site and see if they know more about the restrictions (Assuming you have the German market model)
According to the VIN number and the log book its an RD04 model, it just feels abslolutely gutless when you ride it and wont rev over about 6K in top giving approx 70MPH top end. Personally I think she got well and truly stiffed buying this!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine was the same and it turned out to be the choke being stuck open,clean the carbs out and try again as after I pulled my carbs apart and cleaned them it went like a bat out of hell.....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine was the same and it turned out to be the choke being stuck open,clean the carbs out and try again as after I pulled my carbs apart and cleaned them it went like a bat out of hell.....
My thoughts exactly! Especially as the previous owner has tried to get in there.:thumbleft:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice, dont suppose you have a spare one?
Sorry, he made only those two.

I think some local turner can easily make parts for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My thoughts exactly! Especially as the previous owner has tried to get in there.:thumbleft:
OK Ive had a little look and am too mechanically sympathetic to force the carbs out so is there an easy way? Got enough space to get the rubbers out but to tight for all else, is there anything that needs to be pulled apart? Ive got a Honda manual but it shows pickies and points at things to be removed, doesnt telll you how!!!

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
it just feels abslolutely gutless when you ride it and wont rev over about 6K in top giving approx 70MPH top end.
Wow! Is there a family of mice living in the airbox?

·
2,701 Posts
DO you need anything else apart from these? I found a web site that suggests just cutting out the restriction which I did however it still runs like a slow thing!!!
I have no experience with a restricted africa twin, but my xr600 is the european 'U' model which was restricted with smaller inlet connector and smaller carb jets. The inlet rubber/stub was opened and standard jets fitted to give full power.

So from the above experience, i would expect if your inlet tract was restricted, the carb jet's would also be smaller.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no experience with a restricted africa twin, but my xr600 is the european 'U' model which was restricted with smaller inlet connector and smaller carb jets. The inlet rubber/stub was opened and standard jets fitted to give full power.

So from the above experience, i would expect if your inlet tract was restricted, the carb jet's would also be smaller.
Seems logical, when restricted why would you send the same amount of fuel to a smaller hole?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
According to my friendly |Honda dealer its a 50BHP model so may have mild cams in it, anyone got a spare pair I can borrow to try??;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts