Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave H 
#1 ·
Forgive me as I have sinned.

Checked the Alps oil 'tother day & it looked darkish, checked in my service record - September 2011 it was last done. Oops!
It seems that I have been so preoccupied with meddling with the shinier stuff coming & going that I have been neglecting Old Faithful.

Oil duly changed, then I noticed a weep of coolant from a rad & weeping fork seal. Oh balls.
It looks like the old girl is getting her own back for the last few years of neglect.

That'll teach me......

#8 ·
its recommended every 5000 miles but it would be probably safe enough for 10000 not ideal I know but as has been said they are tough old girls and not very high revving and if ridden sparingly the oil wouldn't break down as quick . a klr 650 would not take to kindly to a missed oil change the cams would eat the head clean out of the poor unfortunate bike Yamaha xs 500 were another bike that suffered badly from lack of oil changes most of them died off early as a result .

#9 ·
I changed the oil and filter on my TA every 8,000miles or thereabouts. I just used the cheapest semi-synth 10/40 bike oil i could find (except Halfords - bike didn't like that oil). 110,000 miles of that and it still barely burned any. Great engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.