Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oops,
So after taking a couple of bits to the powder coater he tells me he's going to be away working for 5 weeks, out come the spanners and look what happened to my bike! I have to say I was pretty chuffed no seized or rounded bolts and the shock linkages nice and greased.

I'm going to change the steering head bearings as they are just starting to show some spots on the top bearing where they have been resting, is there a preference to using ball race or taper race bearings here. It still has balls fitted.

The throttle return cable has snapped, I've read a few posts about these, is it worth replacing? Do we have any preference to aftermarket or OEM cables, I'll change the clutch cable as well as it's been sitting on the exhaust and melted the plastic.

I was thinking about replacing many of the M6 & M8 bolts on the frame / engine mounts with stainless ones rather than clean them up and painting them, is there any issue with using stainless into the frames mild steel nuts?

Now it's offshore for 2 weeks jail time to think about what I've done to the old lady....

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a few pics of where I'm at, still waiting for the frame to come back from powder coating

Hopefully push on this week and get all the other parts painted and start building up!

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lee, I used bicarbonate of soda, it's a little slower but gentle on the aluminium. I used about 10kg and used a body Schultz gun
I still have some tidying up to do on the motor before it's finished

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can any of you guys give me any tips for refitting the engine to the frame, both side casings are still fitted and I don't really want to scratch the motor or frame!
It's likely to be just me and my trolley jack when the time comes!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Refitting is very easy.

With the motor on a piece of carpet, standing up, just slide the frame around the engine. It is really a piece of cake on the RD07

Lee

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lee, you are a star, easy peesy, engine and frame are back together again:p

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Managed a busy day today, it's starting to look like a bike again!

Progress will be slow for the next few days for family time and some parts to arrive and still some refurbishing to do.. hopefully I'll be out on it next week sometime:thumbup:

Cheers

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts
That's looking great. Love the engine cases.

Mine looks so shabby now. I really should do what you guys are doing but it's so time consuming.

My man-cave will have to be fully prepared before I start to try and make the progress easier.

Keep posting the pics.

N.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking very nice!!! What tyres are those?
Thanks, pretty pleased how it's looking:D will get some more pictures tomorrow as it's almost built up now. Tyres are Heidenau K60 Scouts, I've only done about 150 dry miles on them so can't tell you much about them, they were fitted by previous owner who was prepping the bike to go to Morocco. Can't say I was impressed with his level of work, and pretty glad I stripped the bike as there were a few troubles in the waiting!

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So every nut and bolt, except from splitting the engine has been removed, cleaned, painted or replaced, the frame was blasted and powdered coated and just about every component has been cleaned and painted, all overspray from previous owners tidy up has been removed.
New bearings for both wheels, sprocket carrier, new dust seals, new steering head bearings, new cables for clutch and both throttles, all fluids changed, (still have fork oil to do) brake calipers stripped and cleaned, new oxford heated grips, K&N filter, fairing fastners replaced, the bike had new tyres, new chain and sprockets, new fuel pump, new R/R, new battery. It's just turned 21k and I have Mot's and service to back it up. Hopefully once the last parts are assembled I won't have to do anything else to it for a long time!

I have around 100 hours work so far stripping and rebuilding it

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A couple more pictures today, going to get the bashplate polished tomorrow, but the new seat cover from Poland doesn't fit, ach... Next jobs to take the carbs back off as I think I have a sticking float needle valve, I'm leaking petrol when the ignition is switched on and engine running. I suppose if that's the biggest problem from a rebuild I'm lucky��

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I managed to get out on the bike after nicking my mates seat, I got 65miles done eventually. Africa Twins will run on mostly diesel but it did look like my 350lc from behind. So after a mouthful of the smokey stuff I got refilled from the green nozzle at Asda and away I went:blob7:
Bike rode great and the sun even came out to play so I managed to catch a few flies and scrape the large footpegs:toothy10:

Anyway here she is, all but finished, waiting for a few more new bolts from Fowlers and my seat sending to Poland to get the cover fitted

Thanks for the bits of advice during my build up

Cheers

John

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the last thing to go through the fly's mind as he splats on your screen dad? Its arse son!

A few more mile in the sunshine today after passing the mot

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts