Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the overall opinion now on the crf250l? Its been out a while....
Is it reliable and easy to work on?
What about travelling on it with full luggage as this is what id be doing..

Been thinking of buying something smaller and lighter but not had a chance to ride one yet..

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Bon Jour Kevin !!

There's a chap over on ABR that has just adventurised a CRF250 (Dancanovas - I think)

If you're not on there I 'll try and find it and put a link in

Hope you are well matey

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that paul. All good here and still happy on my twin. Waiting in anticipation to see the new one though :toothy9:Did find him on abr and found lots of other info too.
He's going down to the stella on and another guy i found on another thread so I chat with them there :thumb:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Good stuff Kevin

Take care and enjoy the Stella

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking about downsizing a little while but still keeping the twin..
Prob look into a bit more first, nobody seems to be reporting problems except the speedo
Hows it loaded mike? Power and handling wise?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good to me.. speed aint everything and I was thinking as a travel so would avoid motorways anyhow.
I done 10,000km around asia this winter on a 125 scootef and its then I realised I dont really need a big hefty lump for this type of stuff. Might be going bavk to vietnam this winter and would rent crf for 3/4wks to try it for sure

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waiting in anticipation to see the new one though :toothy9:Did find him on abr and found lots of other info too. He's going down to the stella on and another guy i found on another thread so I chat with them there

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Isn't the little 250 CRF about the same weight as the DR 650 for half the torque and power ?

DR 650 SE - 44hp / 5.51kg.m @ 4600 rpm / 147kg dry weight

CRF 250 L - 27hp/ 2.24kg.m @ 7,000rpm / 147kg wet weight

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spot on but as you know they don't make a perfect bike so the Crf would be a great choice for slow/reliable travelling overland, a few upgrades are available soft luggage etc.
The dr would be a great choice but long in the tooth now so spares could be an issue

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The CRF250L is a great little bike. But add 30kg of equipment for a long haul trip, and you realize the little donkey will be bearing a lot of load... ;-)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Its a nice bike i spent a few hours on a demonstrator but i discovered i'm not ready to loose the power of a bigger bike yet. Personally if i had to go for a 250 i think i'd go for the KLX 250 i think it's a better bike it's a bit cheaper lighter and has fully adjustable suspension front and rear.
I'm hoping there's some truth in this below though. I think we need replacement bikes for the xl and xt 500's fingers crossed :teeth:
16266088_1753338168025737_6830994263739933318_n.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do I wait until it comes out, I have a rally on order but I know the 250 is underpowered the 500 could be the perfect bike. Is it the truth or someone's wishful thinking?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It was on facebook so it must be true :D seriously though i'm not sure i've googled it and come up with nothing these are the other pictures there,
I hope it is true
16174907_1753341681358719_3475643746823563727_n.jpg 16265255_1753341718025382_8581443134943285145_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good one Massive Lee, you can't take anything from this guy great effort and great engineering, but not for me if I wanted a near perfect rally bike it would be easier, cheaper and lighter to buy a 690 ktm then add a few bits and it would be far better off-road.
Now to have a cbr 300 engine fitted in the new 250 rally frame would be something else it's an easy swop with only one wiring connection change, That's the engine they should have used for the rally.
Having had various fast ktms bmws etc it's now time to enjoy the ride at a slower pace taking more side roads tracks etc, with a bike that's not a pig to pick up so I still think for choice what's on offer at the moment
It still looks like the rally for me,I will keep the fast bikes in the garage in case the wife wants to join me and after a while if I think it's painfully slow I will then put the cbr 300 engine in.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Have you looked at the CCM 450 GP may be more suited to what your looking for or are you like me and find it hard to buy anything other than Honda :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi 650 Fred don't know about the service intervals on the com but the Crf are 8000 miles plus the parts are readily available worldwide plus you are buying reliability with the Honda

1 - 20 of 24 Posts