Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks,

just subscribed.. looking for a transalp out here in germany and wondered what you think of the below..

Motorcycle Ad: Detailed Item Page

this is my dodgy translation of the text

"technically good condition and well maintained, some customisation. suitable for small people due to more cushioned seat. new aluminum cases from Hepco and Becker, crash bars. maintained and yearly inspections made"

the seat to me looks lower than usual - i've not sat on a standard 600 as yet but at 6 foot 4 i'm thinking the regular / higher seat would be more what i'm after.. are these easy to come buy? i didn't see much on ebay.de or .co.uk

HU (MOT equivalent) till march next year.. all good.

from what i've read, the mileage is no problem (approx 37,000)..

price wise it looks expensive for age but if it's well maintained then could be worth it.. bikes are more expensive over here anyway.. plus those H&B boxes are approx 200 english each.. wondering if he/she has a top box to go with. centre stand would have been nice i guess..

anything in particular i should look for on this model? going drop them an email now and hope to view at the weekend.. just wondered what y'all think.. wish me luck !

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum. I think there is a good AT for sale on the forum check the bikes for sale section and from my exxperience the AT would be more confortable for someone your height.....just a thought and again wilkommen!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi welcome to the forum. I think there is a good AT for sale on the forum check the bikes for sale section and from my exxperience the AT would be more confortable for someone your height.....just a thought and again wilkommen!
hey mate thanks for the suggestion.. i'm open to an AT if that suits better.. if only there was somewhere round here i could go and test drive / compare eh. which ad do you mean? i'd travel within germany for a good one but as yet not up for bringing one over from the uk.. mostly for paperwork reasons.. and that fact that mostly my savings are in euros :(

·
Elefant rider
210 Posts
even the regular PD06 seat will be too small for you. Been driving that (me being 6'2"). But if you want to swap, I have the regular one and it doesnt matter to me which one I will need to have rebuild.

But I do have a xl650 raised in all angles standing in Hannover for sale... :D

The bike itself doesnt look bad, but I think it would need a couple of mods before you could ride it without your back hurting, knee angle and stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
hey mate thanks for the suggestion.. i'm open to an AT if that suits better.. if only there was somewhere round here i could go and test drive / compare eh. which ad do you mean? i'd travel within germany for a good one but as yet not up for bringing one over from the uk.. mostly for paperwork reasons.. and that fact that mostly my savings are in euros :(
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bikes-sale-wanted/46730-sale.html

hope it works.....it's in the bikes for sale forum...I am 6'.4" tall or 1.96mt and I rode an Africa Twin for 6/7 yeras with no probs, very confortable and unbreakable!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks folks.. most helpful.. i'll deffo contact the berlin group as a test ride or talking to some knowledgeable people would be brilliant.. like i said on my intro post i only did my licence last year and not so experienced and have only ridden the er5 i learnt on.. fancied the transalp for everything i read about it and based on my size and what i imagine i would like to do with the bike.. africa twin looks good also i think i discounted them early on and leant more towards the transalp as the AT is perhaps a little more focused on off road / real adventure riding..? but, if it's more comfortable / riding position better for me personally and it is as adept in the traffic then i'd happily go for one..

ich hoffe das die berlin gruppe mein schlect deutsche verstehen kann.. or that someone speaks english :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
even the regular PD06 seat will be too small for you. Been driving that (me being 6'2"). But if you want to swap, I have the regular one and it doesnt matter to me which one I will need to have rebuild.

But I do have a xl650 raised in all angles standing in Hannover for sale... :D

The bike itself doesnt look bad, but I think it would need a couple of mods before you could ride it without your back hurting, knee angle and stuff like that.
thanks so much.. i'll let you know if the seller gets back to me.. it only appeared on mobile.de a day or two ago so we'll see.. and just out of interest.. what mods would be required, how expensive etc?

·
Elefant rider
210 Posts
even if you change to normal seat... you will probable have it redone. Most people do.

100€-150€ if done by a local

bar risers

20-35 € , depending how high you need steel braided brake hoses (three digit)

depending how much you ride and how much pain you are willing to take: (prolonged) rear shock, new ones starting at 450€

and the list of possibilities/necessities would go on.
lower footrests
progressive front shock springs (not really necessary for size adjusting, but really good for riding)

I have tested a couple of PD06 es and I would suggest you look for something bigger. Have you sat on one before? If not: do so.

I do know a couple of tall people who ride those bikes, but none of them without modifications.

There are a couple on the market which already have some of the necessary modifications since you are not the only one of that size. I would search for one of those.

The combination of Steel braided brake hose (originals wont be long enough) + bar risers + seat will be the minimum you will have to do for some nice painfree long rides.

·
Elefant rider
210 Posts
thats the one I am selling, but it has been used off road... :D and thats the reason why I am switching.
For normal long tarmac rides absolutely ok and big enough. Did 5000km in 10 days without a problem. But for loooong days of offroading too small. Or my arms are too short... whichever.

If I was to buy a new one today.... I would at least make sure it has two front brake discs (starts in 1997). Brakes are not the best on the transalp and the older the suckers get, the worse it is.

ok the PD06 do have some advantages... thats why I bought one... better offroad ability than the 650. But mine is going through minor mods right now... :D

Edith:

just checked... there are really not an awful lot of alps (of any kind) in that area. 10 within 200km from 93-2003 is not much....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
really nice bike.. :thumbright:

i'll see.. i'm really curious to get on a few bikes now and see how they fit.. i mean, i am tall but inside leg is 34 inch.. which isn't sooo giraffe-like.. maybe legwise i'll get away with a transalp.. i'll not be doing much off roading either i wouldn't have thought.. not in the short term anyway. plus, this is my first bike.. i've a hell of a lot to learn and i don't expect to get my perfect bike first time.. i'd be quite keen just to get something, get a few miles under my belt, learn by doing kinda thing.. and move forward from there.. it's no great drama if by the end of the summer i think i need something else..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
about test riding an @

Berliner Freunde der Africa Twin

should contact them. My requests about testriding a particular bike in the respective forums have all been successful.

i'm back!

thanks so much for this link :thumb:

i met with the berliner freunde last night at their regular stammtish (read - regular table in a bar).. a really really nice group of people.. not so many riding ATs these days but talked a lot about them, sat on a couple, also a tiger and a TA.. all really nice bikes.. and i think the AT is THE DREAM.. one guy had this immaculate RD07.. sooo nice. height wise it was perfect and well, very comfortable indeed. however.. to me it felt MASSIVE and i'm not sure if i need that right now.. so i'm still thinking about whether it's the best choice for me as a first bike or whether i should just get one of the regular beginner bikes (blandit, cbf etc) till i've learnt my craft and graduate from there.. plus, i'm not in a massive rush to nail big distances day after day or set off round the world with 30 kilos of gear.. but one day, one day!

so yeah, thanks again for all the advice, very much appreciated. i'll keep checking out this forum even though i don't strickly qualify and update you on my biking adventures.

cheers
nick

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
i'm back!

thanks so much for this link :thumb:

i met with the berliner freunde last night at their regular stammtish (read - regular table in a bar).. a really really nice group of people.. not so many riding ATs these days but talked a lot about them, sat on a couple, also a tiger and a TA.. all really nice bikes.. and i think the AT is THE DREAM.. one guy had this immaculate RD07.. sooo nice. height wise it was perfect and well, very comfortable indeed. however.. to me it felt MASSIVE and i'm not sure if i need that right now.. so i'm still thinking about whether it's the best choice for me as a first bike or whether i should just get one of the regular beginner bikes (blandit, cbf etc) till i've learnt my craft and graduate from there.. plus, i'm not in a massive rush to nail big distances day after day or set off round the world with 30 kilos of gear.. but one day, one day!

so yeah, thanks again for all the advice, very much appreciated. i'll keep checking out this forum even though i don't strickly qualify and update you on my biking adventures.

cheers
nick

That's all perception. Go and sit on a 1200GSA and then try again :D At's quite small then.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's all perception. Go and sit on a 1200GSA and then try again :D At's quite small then.
you're probably right.. especially given that i'm bombing round on an old vespa at the mo.. the AT felt more like getting on a horse!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's another opinion:-

I'm 6' 2" tall and I ride a '92 Transalp PD06 without any modifications. I find the bike comfortable to ride, with the exception that the seat is too soft and doesn't provide enough support. I'm planning to get the seat re-upholstered.

I'm not sure why you would want bar risers, as the stock bars seem very high already. Mind you, my other bike is a VFR.

The single disc front brake is frequently criticised, but I find it to be OK, even when riding with a passenger.

I don't know if cost is a concern, but secondhand TAs can be found for a lot less money than secondhand ATs, at least in the UK.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts