Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

About to sell my FJR and get myself something lighter and a bit more dual purpose to get off the beaten track a bit more and not limit myself to 'nice' roads. With all the experience on this site I would value your opinions on what I've narrowed it down to ..........Transalp or V Strom.

Thanks for any advice :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Of the two I would go for the Transalp.
Philw keep quite.
I think the Transalp looks more rugged and able to handle the rough terrain better, the V-strom looks more of a road going bike styled to appeal to the adventure rider.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have ridden my dad's TA 700 and my own TA 600. Both are very nice bikes to ride. I have not ridden the DL650 but....the Wee-strom is lighter and more powerful.

Regardless of how it looks, the V-strom has had very good feedback from peope who have used it on various extended trips, RTW and the like.

At the end of the day, specs sheets are very misleading. The best way to decide is to test ride!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is a personal thing I tried them both. I felt the V-strom was lighter and a bit faster but the TA felt more connected, fitted better. On this type of bike speed is not everything it is how it feels on a long run, is it fun to ride. That is why for me Mr Honda won and I don't regret my choice. fat-mal:thumbleft:

·
Registered
533 Posts
You did say you want a bit more 'dual purpose', so the Transalp wins. If you want to do more road touring, the VStrom would be better, but the Transalp can still do it to a good standard.

·
White van man
560 Posts
Asking "Honda trail bike forum" which is best between a Honda and Suzuki is going to lead to a very predictable answer.

Test ride both, speak to owners and ask why they're selling, thoroughly research both bikes, then buy a Transalp.:thumbright:

A pal of mine has recently sold his Wee strom, only uses his bike for a 90 mile round commute. He's looking now for a replacement, tried both new versions of Transalp and Strom, but is leaning towards a Yamaha TDM900.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You did say you want a bit more 'dual purpose', so the Transalp wins. If you want to do more road touring, the VStrom would be better, but the Transalp can still do it to a good standard.
Don't be so sure.

Have a look on HUBB and see hjow many people have done trips, two-up and solo around South America, Asia, even Round the World on a DL650. A lot more than are on TAs, I think.

They all seem pretty pleased with it's performance on and off road, and don't be fooled by the cast wheels.

I'm not plugging one bike or the other, and I doubt this bike would see as severe conditions as on the trips mentioned above so ultimately it is going to be just down to feel on a test ride, but saying the DL is not dual-purpose or less than the TA would be inaccurate in my opinion, based on what I've read.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The V-strom is a little lighter and a little more powerful with a far better choice of on-road rubber, but only "dual-sport" tyres for trail use.
The TA has a 21" front wheel which allows a good range of off-road/dual sport tyres, but only really BT45's as road-only tyres.
Style counts for a lot, 'cos neither are really designed for off-roading, just the odd dirt trail. XR's and DRz's are for off-roading.

:)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Hi folks

About to sell my FJR and get myself something lighter and a bit more dual purpose to get off the beaten track a bit more and not limit myself to 'nice' roads. With all the experience on this site I would value your opinions on what I've narrowed it down to ..........Transalp or V Strom.

Thanks for any advice :thumbup:
I suspect that you would find both a bit lacking in the hp stakes after an FJR!! The weeV has a bit more poke and can wander down a dirt track as well as being good on the road. Honda's still have that Honda aura of build quality about them... :thumbright:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Realistically it boils down to personal choice. There isn't really that much in it between the capabilities of all high riding twins between 650 and 900cc except some are more powerful than others obviously.

I too fancied a TDM, but TA shaded it - lighter, excellent handling, possibly better build quality, and for the majority of the time, I don't need the extra horses. Tempting when touring though and TDMs definitely worth a look....

·
Sans contrefacon
32 Posts
Hi nt1 and welcome. I agree with others who mentioned test rides, but in my opinion I`d go for the Transalp. I absolutely love mine and wouldn't part with it. It's outside in all weathers, doesn`t get washed for months, and I admit is a bit neglected, but it's there for me first time, every time. I commute on it, go for weekend jaunts, it's been to the Algarve in the middle of summer and the Elefantentreffen in deep snow a few weeks ago and never missed a beat. Have a look at another thread on here called (I think) "Why I love my 'alp". The fairy dust bit is quite true! :thumbup:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Have a look at another thread on here called (I think) "Why I love my 'alp". The fairy dust bit is quite true! :thumbup:
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/42518-i-love-my-alp.html

Idiot bias apart, both bikes are good for your purpose. The WeeStrom is a bit quicker but the Honda will ride over and smack into obstacles all day and nothing will come loose. I'm not sure I'd trust the Wee'un to do the same. Mind you, winXPmaster has one and he's no fool.

If you rode them both and chose on that basis, no-one could criticise your choice.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have an 05 TA which suits me great.....my mate(winxp) has the v-strom and we have taken both bikes over a lot of miles in the last year or two and there are good and bad points about them both..

to get to a lot of the xrv events we've had to do a fair few motorway miles and I've got to say the v-strom is much better at high speed prolonged cruising( a feature that craig has demonstrsted more than once,cue wheelie:D)

but on the more rugged environments the alp does take the lead with it's nimbler manners and better off-road bias and much more tractor like pull you up anything motor and gear ratio's)...

overall if I'm honest, we tend to do more on-road than off-road so the v-strom would probably be the sensible choice.

having said that however, I once got into a pickle with a sports bike that didn't like mountains(an experience i do not want to repeat) and i like to have the transalps rugged strength at low speed in reserve just in case
you never know where you could end up..

hope you enjoy whatever you decide:thumbup:

Derek..

·
White van man
560 Posts
Realistically it boils down to personal choice. There isn't really that much in it between the capabilities of all high riding twins between 650 and 900cc except some are more powerful than others obviously.

I too fancied a TDM, but TA shaded it - lighter, excellent handling, possibly better build quality, and for the majority of the time, I don't need the extra horses. Tempting when touring though and TDMs definitely worth a look....
I've been looking at this lately, possible change myself. Tdm900 is lighter than the old 850 and a 700 Alp.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I like my 650 Transalp but When I replace it in the future I will have to try lots of bikes of similar ilk to find which has that quality about it.
It will have to be your choice after test riding both to see which one ticks the most boxes.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've owned 650 TA and 650 weestrom. Strom is definitely quicker on road, several other advantages including fuel economy, tank range, ABS option, suspension adjustment, headlights. TA is probably a bit better on easy trails, and will have better trail tyre choices for bigger front wheel, and strom needs sump guard to protect vulnerable oil filter & cooler. Both need crashbars. Both have limited ground clearance. Quality is good on both bikes. I've had one frayed wiring problem with the strom. Both bikes are versatile, fun and are good for 2-up touring.

I've never ridden the 700 TA but I think its got a smaller front wheel than the 650 so tyre choice and overall trail ability would be similar to weestrom?

BTW winxpmaster's bike is the Vstrom 1000 so obviously has a lot more grunt on motorways but would be like a grand piano on trails.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts