Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to hear any jokes, a young lady lost her life after all but what is everyone's opinions, guilty or not guilty?

It's so conflicting I'm interetsed to hear different perspectives

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
We have no idea until the evidence is heard in court - and even then we may only hear what we are permitted to hear.

But we can be sure of one thing: if he hadn't had any guns in the house, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
In my opinion He's Guilty - he hasnt got a leg to stand on.... (sorry had to be done!)

+1 to what Craig said though.....

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
he hasn't got a leg to stand on.... (sorry had to be done!)
I think the judge misunderstood his disability. He told him to hand over his arms.;)

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Very confusing..... on one side, if he is shouting at someone in the bathroom, if she were in bed why didn't she say anything?
I know his legs weren't on, but he has a gun in his hand, so he could have waited for the door to open.
He wasn't married to her, he has five houses, why not just leave her?
Are we saying he is just an angry man; look back to his silver at the Olympics.
Like I said, very confusing.. I honestly don't think he should be found guilty or not guilty...... like I said again, very confusing!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Can't comment as I don't know all the facts and probably never will .

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I suppose it depends on the Jury. If they have the same bunch of idiots that were on the Vicky Pryce trial then he will probably be found to be Lord Lucan all along.

My advice would to wait and listen to the evidence then make an informed decision based on the presented cases.

Reactions: Mpj

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Interesting case your honour. Having visited the place a few years back there is a large amount of paranoia (some justified, some not in my humble) amongst not just whites but anyone with wealth. Many have guns by the bedside which should not suprise us in the UK. Good test of their legal system which already appears to be cracking round the edges? (much like ours?)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm actually flying to Cape Town tomorrow hence my interest.

A friend of mine out there has had 4 home invasions in 12 months so I can understand some of the paranoia - I'm a little worried about his mental state if I'm honest as he would see no problem in shooting a burglar, thankfully he doesn't have a firearm but you have to question what living with crime rates such as that do to you.

Would she be dead if he didn't have a gun, definately not in this case but as the South African Police "lose" more guns each year than there are legal ones in South Africa, as much as banning legal weapons could have saved this life, it wouldn't stop gun crime sadly. I hope we all live to see a day when it is

Of course none of us can say if he is guilty or not, it's just an interesting one to ponder based on the conflicting facts.

The trial will be an interesting one that's for sure

·
Doh!!!!!
753 Posts
It is a strange case and I just can't see a motive. Combined with the flaws in the prosecution evidence I'd err on the side of innocent of pre-meditated murder.

Looking at this from a different angle I have viewed this as a manslaughter case not premeditated murder since I first heard the news last Thursday morning. The evidence that's come out of the bail hearing has compounded that view; I can't see how the Prosecution can make out a murder case at law. The facts (whilst not all the evidence has come out both parties have outlined their case) to me demonstrate a manslaughter or culpable homicide as they have in SA.

Tellingly the magistrate gave coded advice to the Prosecution this afternoon in his summary at the bail hearing (references to it's not just 15 years I'm considering but also culpable homicide and stating that there were weaknesses in both cases and that he didn't have to deal with that, that being for trial, but suggesting the Prosecution might struggle in that section of his summary).

I do take on board that SA law has made it clear that you can't kill to protect property and on Pistorius's own account he intended to harm the intruder. However looking at defence submissions from this morning there is no transferred malice in SA law (unlike over here where saying I didn't mean to harm A I meant to harm B won't get you off if you're on trial for harming A).

Legally I don't think the Prosecution can show an intention to kill the deceased and SA law requires malice aforethought as we have here. Put that with a lack of transferred malice they can't show the required mental element of the offence.

So not guilty to murder but guilty of manslaughter or culpable homicide is my view. I can't see a lesser assault charge. 7-10 years with maybe a bit less in mitigation.

Alas I can't see the Prosecution being sensible and offering a lesser charge as it's becoming political (an ANC minister for women and children openly criticised his being given bail!).

I genuinely feel sorry for both parties and families.

Now as I've expressed sympathy for a Saffa I'm going to lie down.

·
Doh!!!!!
753 Posts
I suppose it depends on the Jury. If they have the same bunch of idiots that were on the Vicky Pryce trial then he will probably be found to be Lord Lucan all along.

My advice would to wait and listen to the evidence then make an informed decision based on the presented cases.
:-D::grin: wow that has to be the thickest jury in history. Given that all juries receive a standard direction telling them of their role in addition to a case specific one I don't know how they could come up with the questions they did.

Juries usually reach the right decision my ..... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the rumoured graffiti at the Bailey years ago- " I'm being tried by 12 people too stupid to get off jury duty"

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Having lived there for a good few years, owned a gun, had intruders on my property and shot at them (but missed) I can believe his version of events. Living with such a high crime rate and everyone being armed changes you a bit. In a place where you can pick up a AK47 for £50 on the black market (and millions of them being around) carrying a gun to protect yourself and your family is seen as normal. People get killed for 50p. Most of the time during a robbery women get gang raped first and than everyone gets killed to leave less evidence. You can not compare the police force in SA with the british police
My 10p

Still nobody will know till the trial I guess

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Having lived there for a good few years, owned a gun, had intruders on my property and shot at them (but missed) I can believe his version of events. Living with such a high crime rate and everyone being armed changes you a bit. In a place where you can pick up a AK47 for £50 on the black market (and millions of them being around) carrying a gun to protect yourself and your family is seen as normal. People get killed for 50p. Most of the time during a robbery women get gang raped first and than everyone gets killed to leave less evidence. You can not compare the police force in SA with the british police
My 10p

Still nobody will know till the trial I guess

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
what i cant understand is why he used a gun when he is so handy with the blades :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

lets face it he cant be the only man to wake up legless on valentines day and shoot all over his girlfriends face imagining she was someone else ;):D:D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
what i cant understand is why he used a gun when he is so handy with the blades :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

lets face it he cant be the only man to wake up legless on valentines day and shoot all over his girlfriends face imagining she was someone else ;):D:D
Glad we are back to normal. This was getting way to serious:toothy6:

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts

Did you have a good valentines day then? :D:D:D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
A friend of mine out there has had 4 home invasions in 12 months so I can understand some of the paranoia - I'm a little worried about his mental state if I'm honest as he would see no problem in shooting a burglar, thankfully he doesn't have a firearm
He seriously needs to move.

Based on info from relatives living in SA, shooting a burglar dead means you're not going to get shot dead yourself so it's not really a questionable mental state - just survival. It's a similar thing with car-jacking. I knew someone a few years back who had a foot-operated flamethrower device installed on her BMW so if a gun was pointed at her through her side window, she could put her hands up in surrender and simultaneously fry the car-jacking $hit to death. That would avoid her being shot in the head or captured at gunpoint, raped and then shot in the head like one of her friends. She had no problem with the concept and I saw no issues with her mental state.

Enjoy the trip. There are places where you really don't want to go but there are also places that are fine. Chose wisely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts