Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, returned this afternoon from Fiona and my Easter run, Fiona on her BMW F650GS and me on the mighty Varadero. Due to bad weather we cancelled last weekends run to Oban and left it until later in the week and set off on Thursday for Skye instead.
Skye was quite wet and the low cloud made it quite inhospitible really so Friday we decided to head back over the bridge and up to Ullapool a day earlier. We followed the coast up through Applecross by the pass of cattle, where Fiona was delighted to tackle her first hairpins on the BMW, and on to Ullapool where the weather improved.
We woke on Saturday to brilliant sunshine and decided to take Geoff's favourite road up to Durness for our lunch. The Ullapool to Durness road is stunning, no denying that!
Saturday night was lovely, a stroll down the beach to the harbour and into the Seaforth for a cool beer and to try some of the award winning fish dishes. Largewayround's recommendation of the establishment led to my curiousity! Agreed, Craig, the seafood is excellent! I settled for the grilled haddock with white pudding and melted smoked cheddar, I did pass my regards to the chef, the dish was well presented and cooked to perfection! Pricey yes, but for well presented good food, acceptible, £2.80 a pint was harsh though!
Sunday we woke to blue skies and sunshine again, the run back east was stunning as ever. The west of Scotland is stunning but you do need the weather, Thursday was pretty much pants over west, Friday was an improvement on the mainland and Saturday/Sunday was absolutely superb. Here's a few pics to whet the apetite! :thumbup:

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Green with envy :)- nice ride out.
£2.80 not bad just been to Castleton and pint of Leeds Beer was £3.20 and the petrol was £1.28 a litre!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye, the petrol was 127.9 at Ullapool this morning, damned rip off, Skye was only 125.9 on Friday. Annoying when I come home to Asda and Tesco with 118.9!
I had a pint of cider with my supper, Strongbow, I went back to the campsite and sat on the beach with Fiona drinking a couple of tins of Strongbow cider I bought from Tesco's for £6.50 for eight tins! There's mark up and there's rip off!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I'm envious of your trip. I bet campin was cold though! Does the horizon always tilt like that up your way?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry DW, agree with Whealie, must have been the cider!

It was a lovely weekend though, pretty similar conditions to the National back in Sept 09, agreed, probably was a little colder.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Guys,looks great ! I've got builders bangin' about all over the street and the West End is full of noisy lemmings now that the sun is out. Oh that bit of grass in pic' three looks sooo' quiet and peace full. :)

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Great Report Jim .. nice pictures.

Glad you tried the Seaforth and was happy .. My wife still talks about it , in fact we are heading up that way at end of this month , (rented cottage) . So we will surely be sampling the grand food again.

Hows your new tent .. looks the business

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Nice one Jim / Fiona, good that you were able to reorgansie the Oban spin what a difference in the weather in a week...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye, it certainly is lovely up there in Ullapool, the campsite was great as long as you didn't have a camper or caravan! They were towing them all out on Sunday as they had sunk in the soft grass up to the axles!

The weather certainly changed quickly as the roads around us were blocked the week before with a metre of snow hence cancelling Oban!

Yes Craig, the seafood was delicious, would certainly go back, either the seabass or the crab claws next time!

As for the tent, yes, very pleased with the Gelert Tornado 3, easy enough to pitch, large porch space and weatherproof as we had rain and wind on Skye, tested and approved! For £29.99 a bargain!

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Hi Jim,

Nice report
That last pic looks absolutely awsome :thumbright:

Pass on congrats to Fiona on her first Beallach, must have been a little unnerving for her,
Well done to her :thumbup:

And to you of course :angel5:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hiya lowflyer,

I had a brilliant time thanks, and yes i was a bit nervous but excited also, i managed to keep up with jim at most points but alot of the time he got away from me haha :D , ullapool was beautiful, weather was lovely and the company was fantastic :lol:, hope you are well? :thumbright::thumbleft: A big thank you to my jim, you are the best, love you loads, thank you for a lovely holiday, cant wait for the next one xx

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Fantastic pics, especially the last one at sunset. Looks so beautiful. Good to know you had a fine time, as has been said the weather does make such a difference. The seafood sounds fab too - mucho envious, not a lot of sea in Loughborough . ;)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies, the west of Scotland is a great spot if you get the weather. The seafood over there is brilliant, I'm sure you'll make it there one day Lulu, something for you to set your sights on!

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, the west of Scotland is a great spot if you get the weather. The seafood over there is brilliant, I'm sure you'll make it there one day Lulu, something for you to set your sights on!
Ah, Jim, I grew up on the West coast. You don't get to wear trews like THESE South of the border :rolleyes:.

It's been a looooong time since I've been back though, and I've not yet had a chance to introduce Nessie to her rightful home. But at least I've got a better haircut these days...:)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oooh! Royal Stewart trews! I had a kilt in that colour when I was about the same age!
I've since grown up (old!) and now own a Pride of Scotland tartan kilt! :thumbup:

Due to the volume of rain on the west I wouldn't really want to live over there, it's nothing like the Moray coast where I stay. I love visiting though, the scenery is breathtaking.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Fantastic pics, especially the last one at sunset. Looks so beautiful. Good to know you had a fine time, as has been said the weather does make such a difference. The seafood sounds fab too - mucho envious, not a lot of sea in Loughborough . ;)
With coastal erosion the east coast could be with you sooner than you think :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts