Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, just thought I'd share our Stella trip.

Fiona and myself left Morayshire on Sunday 03/07/11 at dawn for Newcastle to catch the ferry to Ijmiuden, Holland to meet Hudders on Monday morning. The beauty of the DFDS ferry is you get the evening to relax and a good night's sleep before hitting Europe!
We then headed For Koblenz, Germany. A lovely city which we took a guided tour of on Tuesday. We headed south following the Rhine to Benno's truck stop for lunch, it was as good as ever with a huge helping followed by coffee on the house!
We then stopped off at Annecy in France by the Lake. Had a nice stroll followed by a swim in the lake!
We met up with Udders and his friend from the ABR forum at the campsite in Val D'Isere on Friday for the run down to Bardonecchia on Saturday, a lovely ski village in the Alps.
We met the XRV posse at Bokki camping, great to see Stanbloke, Paul S and Mr Beddows again. Nick and Cabby arrived after us to much applause! What a pair of characters!
Hudders and myself left at dawn on the Sunday to assault the mountain, followed by three GS's. We got a good run up the hill followed by some sledging down the snow on the mountain top, minus the sledge!
We stopped at the truck on the way down for our customary badges and had a chat with several more like minded people including Boboneleg and the guys! It was a hoot, some of the hairpins were a bit rough but reasonable.
The three Beemers dropped their bikes twice each and I heard tales of a couple of smashed sumps (backed up with oil trails up the track) so not as easy as some would make out!
Monday we set off back to France and said our goodbyes to Hudders in Becancon. We had agreed to meet Nick and Cabby in Annecy so headed off north. Next evening we spent with Nick and Cabby again in Dijon before our final couple of nights alone travelling up through Belgium and Holland to the ferry back to Blighty!
The weather was very fair to us with only two days of rain, Thursday in Belgium then Saturday up through Scotland!
So, another brilliant adventure was had! 2500 miles, pure adventure!

On to the special mentions now, thanks to Hudders for being an excellent touring partner and putting up with Fiona and myself for a whole week! A very competant rider on and off the road, you're welcome with us any time Simon mate.
Thanks to Boboneleg for meeting up with us and providing stickers for the luggage boxes! Pride and place on my new Alpos box Bob, thank you very much sir!
And special thanks to my Fiona for being the bestest travelling partner and bestest friend in the whole world! We had an absolute hoot! Fiona's first trip to Europe on her own bike and both her and the Ickle GS never missed a beat!
Lastly, thanks to Triumph for developing the finest motorcycle I've owned to date! The bike developed a couple electrical niggles which Triumph are currently investigating but otherwise never missed a beat! Grounded the front suspension grabbing too much air offroad but otherwise on and offroad the bike was brilliant! It may never be a Honda, but damn it's got character!
Enjoy the pics folks, I've uploaded a large one for Nick to copy as it's a stunner on the Col Du Galibier of him with the Dommie and sidecar outfit with the Glacier as a backdrop.

Scotland in the sun

BM and Tiger.jpg

us.jpg AT and Tiger.jpg Beemer.jpg BM and Tiger.jpg Hudders.jpg Iseran.jpg Koblenz.jpg meet hudders.jpg Nick.jpg Tiger view.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Jackdaw

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Great piccies there Jim :thumbup:

Keep the rain away from that sticker, I jet washed my bike yesterday and mine disintegrated. Bl**dy load of crap, seems that they are just vinyl-covered paper :(

Won't be using that supplier again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My sticker fell off on the ferry, could not get it to stick after that, never mind. we do have photo's though.:cheers:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Cracking photos Jim, wish we had more time to investigate the various Alp passes whilst down there. Unfortunately time was against us on this trip. Maybe next year. I'm lucky in that my wife has given me a pass each year to do 'something' on the bike. Just need to plan what next years 'something' is. I quiet fancy the HUMM.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha ha! Thanks for all the comments guys!

Bob, I may give mine a quick spray with clear laquer as it's still on! Even after the torrential rain we rode through on the way home!

Aye Mike, we've not really considered next yr yet but sure there'll be something comes along!

Yes Windmill John, your boxes are getting around! Fiona loves them!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Great piccies there Jim :thumbup:

Keep the rain away from that sticker, I jet washed my bike yesterday and mine disintegrated. Bl**dy load of crap, seems that they are just vinyl-covered paper :(

Won't be using that supplier again.
I want my money back ! ( I was gonna put 'em on E-bay.Now there fu**in worthless :D:D )

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Jim cracking week with you & Fiona, thanks very much :thumb:

Bob just for the record my sticker just fell in bits in heavy rain on the way to Brittany :(

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Jim & Fi at Bokki

Nice pics Jim :thumbup:
Looks like you had a really good time.

Recognise that salutory wave you have in Nick's photo, seen it many times ;) " No John, really can't take any more whisky !!! " :D:D:D

Well done the three of you :blob4:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi John, aye, was a cracking trip! We took a bottle of Glen Moray along with us, went down well along the way!
The beauty of it all was the pace, there wasn't any! We went for a holiday and had exactly that! Easy days, lots of sight seeing and met loads of interesting people along the way.
I still say the Stella Alpina rally is one of the best out there. The adventure's getting there!
Hope to catch up with you soon John, only seen you once this year so far!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Great pics Jim .....but where's the morning ritual ones???? Simon told me when he was here :iconbiggrin:
Phil

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Excellent report & excellent pics there Jim, at least you could see the mountains, my trip to the Pyrennes ended in cloud & rain & no views apart from the postcard I sent home !
Nice one mate.
The Stella looks a great soiree for the future

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aye, we got good weather, makes the trip, I stopped on the Rhine one yr to put on my waterproofs, thought "be a lovely run if it wasn't f-ing raining so much!" Which it is really! Pity about your Pyrennes trip mate, hope to do it too in the future.

Phil, our tent folding isn't for public oggling! Nothing like a pair of puppies first thing in the morning!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
:sign5:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts