Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well been riding along when the engine is cold and there is no noise but when the engine is hot i can hear a metalic noise maybe it could be the chain i dont know but it only come on past few weeks never heard it before.
got home and decided to take off the front sprocket and check the shaft.in and out play normal but i held the shaft very tight and i could lift it up and down about 0.5 to 1mm.is this normal.or should it be solid.:confused:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yes it's normal...for an output shaft bearing that is showing wear. When new that bearing has no radial play. Having said that I would not worry about it all that much.
I split my cases due to this bearing having severe radial play approaching 2 mm. When it gets that severe you will probably have oil weeping out the seal as well.

Ride it...and keep your chain slack. :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
One more thing...If your not already running an OEM cushioned (rubber) front sprocket then now might be a good time to install one.

Many members here don't use a cushioned front sprocket and find the non ones have no ill effect...so it's always been up for debate. A non-cushioned sprocket I'm sure is probably just fine providing you keep up with the chain maintenance.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phew that was lucky.i put new front sprocket on and all is ok,no more noise.
other front sprocket was very worn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts