Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks iv got a problem on my 1987 Transalp 600. The exhaust heats up to 120 degrees within 20 seconds of the engine starting on the front cylinder, Valve clearances are spot on and the carbs have had a new kit fitted and she is still doing it . Any thoughts .

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
when you say "exhaust" do you mean the downpipes (that come out of the engine) or the silencer (the bit at the back)?

if it's too hot then this would suggest the fuel/air mixture is too "lean". i.e. there is less fuel going into the cylinder

i would look into the carb and the fuel/air mixture

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi its the down pipe at the engine it will glow cherry red if it runs for longer the other down pipe is only at 17 degrees

·
Registered
673 Posts
Or air leak in system - are the carb manifold rubbers sealing? When did you do to the carbs when you had them off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yes done valve clearances and carb kit at same time and rubbers look ok i will find out where to get carbs balanced locally and see if that does the trick. Iv had bike 8 years and carbs have never been touched.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I wouldn't think a weak mixture would have the exhaust glowing red hot in such a short time, its something i would expect from a stuck or bent exhaust valve try and do a compression test on the offending cylinder

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't think a weak mixture would have the exhaust glowing red hot in such a short time, its something i would expect from a stuck or bent exhaust valve try and do a compression test on the offending cylinder
Took the covers off when doing clearance and they seemed ok

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Is the rear cylinder running ok? I would have thought after 20 secs it would be starting to get hot.
The front pipe will glow dull red on the 650 if the throttle is held open slightly but takes much longer than 20 seconds

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the rear cylinder running ok? I would have thought after 20 secs it would be starting to get hot.
The front pipe will glow dull red on the 650 if the throttle is held open slightly but takes much longer than 20 seconds

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Im sure the rear cylinder will get hotter after 20 seconds but i dont want to run it for too long and if i give her bit of a rev she starts melting the clutch cable LOL .I will get carbs balanced and take it from there miby need to strip it down or just go bike shopping

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Took the covers off when doing clearance and they seemed ok
It could be something as simple as a piece of carbon trapped on the exhaust seat holding the valve open it don't take much. I cant see a weak mixture causing the exhaust to glow red hot in under 20 seconds and from cold surely you have the choke on to start it which will cancel out any weak mixture issues. The last time i saw this happen my mates 650 dominator dropped a valve seat i do hope i'm wrong though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts