Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need some advice concerning the annual mileage on my policy.

When I took out the policy in february I put down 4000 miles for the year, however I've already done more than that so far.

My question is:
Do I have to let my insurers know or is it used as a guideline when you take out your policy and doing a few more miles wont bother anyone?

Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I would inform the insurance company, I have a 6,000 mile annual policy.
The mileage is taken into account when they insure you. The last thing you ant is for something to happen and they refuse to pay out on a technicality.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea true, ok will phone on monday.

How were i to know i was gonna have sooo much fun on my bike? I've never put 4000 miles on any of my cars in a year?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Yea true, ok will phone on monday.

How were i to know i was gonna have sooo much fun on my bike? I've never put 4000 miles on any of my cars in a year?
I used to only do 2,000 miles a year in the car.
Now I do 5-6,000 a year on the bike. due to the fact I work unsocial hours and do not get much down time I worked out I would do about 500 miles a month. Multiply that by 12 gives 6,000.
Some times it might exceed that with a trip around europe but the average is 6,000.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I've done the same on my Motorcycle Direct policy and all they said was that the excess increases slightly.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Hi guys,

I need some advice concerning the annual mileage on my policy.

When I took out the policy in february I put down 4000 miles for the year, however I've already done more than that so far.

My question is:
Do I have to let my insurers know or is it used as a guideline when you take out your policy and doing a few more miles wont bother anyone?

Cheers in advance!
Simple thing with insurers is tell them everything. The principle is utmost good faith, so if you withhold information from them they can argue that the contract is void because it was not on the agreed understanding.

They then refund you your premium and you have been driving uninsured.

Tell them and they will adjust the premium or the policy in some way. At worst they can say they no longer want to insurer you and you need to find another insurer.

They may charge for changes to the policy - the cheaper insurers tend to. The cheaper policies are often harder to amend too.

The thing is, this can all work in your favour because if you keep a record of what you have told them and what they have asked, they will be bound to pay out in the event of a claim even if they missed a bit of what you told them and should have refused or increased your premium but forgot. That is the flipside of utmost good faith - no backing out on the honest customer.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one! Thanks again for the advice guys.

Like you say whealie I'll keep A record of this just incase. :thumbleft:

If only I can pluck up the courage to tell them its actually a triumph rocket not a Transalp that they are insuring, then we'll have this trust thing sorted aswell :D

I wish.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rung up bikesure this morning and the bad news is that they had to move up my mileage to unlimited (is that bad)

Good news is its only cost me £15! :thumbright:

Cheers for the words of wisdom guys.

·
Insurance Advisor
178 Posts
Rung up bikesure this morning and the bad news is that they had to move up my mileage to unlimited (is that bad)

Good news is its only cost me £15! :thumbright:

Cheers for the words of wisdom guys.

With such a small difference in premium, it's probably worth having unlimited in the future.

Insurance is just one expense that we have to put up with while running a bike. But lets face it, that all becomes a distant memory when we are out for a blat!

Take care,

Phil

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Top result.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
A bit late but...

I had the same problem as I am going to hit around 5K this summer. Emailed Carole Nash and was quoted 30 quid to go to 5K from 4K. I queried this on the phone and told the lass that I would be better cancelling the policy and starting again (6 months in) she came back in under a minute, cover to 6k miles, no charge. Good thing too, as I will be nearly 5K when I get back at the end of August :)

Bostin' service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just out of curiosity...when I renewed my insurance this year..I tried the comparison sites and did multiple combinations of mileage...it made no difference to my premium!
I imagine it's just another way of wriggling out, of paying out, if you have stated a low mileage and exceeded it?
Does that make sense????? :confused2:

I also played with the different security measures and the No pillion option....Now there is another surprise!!!!

All I can say is be carefull and shop around at renewal time!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
On price comparison sites, in order for insurers to provide the lowest or near lowest premiums they don't smply monitor prices and reduce theirs. They actually reduce the cover they offer, enabling them to bring the price down.

Under regulation, something called Treating Customers Fairly means they cannot just offer the same cover and up and down the price whenever they like - price changes have to appear fair, so to reduce the price without evidence showing their claims records have fallen, they must reduce the cover offered.

The cheapest policies will almost always have the least cover, the most exclusions and the worst claims handling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts