1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was looking at a cheap way, for now, of adding luggage to the @

and I spotted the Oxford luggage
2008 Sports Panniers Black

which is only £59 I appreciate it says it's for sports bikes but I wonders if anyone had tried them and what was the outcome.
Cheers

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Re: Oxford sof luggage on AT

I used them for years - great kit and fit at very well - follow line of exhaust and is high enough above it not to get hot. Fit with wide end forward narrow to rear.

I think there is a photo on one of my blogs
Motorbiking in Europe
check out the write up on the Stella Alpina.

They are not 100% waterproof without the covers and the covers are baggy so get 2 cheapo cargo nets and put them over the wet weather covers - functional and look quite cool.

No need fir any racks etc. I only stopped using mine this year after buying Ali Panniers - more security but not as narrow as my oxfords!

You won't be dissappointed

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: Oxford sof luggage on AT

These older Oxfords were a perfect fit and have lasted well. They may not look as cool as ally boxes but I got a set for £30 from Ebay

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that guys.
They don't look too bad at all. I have stuff to take to work and back and end up wearing a ruck sack which drags.

The ultimate plan is to dump the oem plastic panniers from the varadero and have some ardcases made for both bikes which I can interchange. That means 2 racks and 3 cases so I have started a coffe tin fund :)
at £60 the Oxfords look the biz especially as I can sell them on to a mate with a zx9

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can anyone recommend a particular model from the current line-up of Oxford soft panniers (for a RD07A). I see "Sports" discussed but the ones on Angelo's bike look more like the "Sprint"?
I would like the biggest volume I can get on the bike comfortably without cooking them on the exhaust. My exhaust is a Leo Vince SB but it follows the lines of the original muffler.
Also can anyone tell me if a (small adult) pillion can be carried comfortably with the panniers fitted and loaded?
Cheers
B.
:thumb:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Mine are definately the Sport but some years old now. They are quite large and can be expanded although look very wide them. I used to put a saddle thing from a horse over the seat - it is a neoprene thong that gors on a horses back under the saddle - it's perfect for protecting the seat and side panels from scuffing.

Pillion - probably but it might be tight - I never had a pillion on with pannies fitted that I can remember.

A mate has a set of newer ones like mine - they have integral rain covers and seem a bit bigger but fit well. I think the Sprint are quite small - depends how much you want carry. Mine were fine fir a kitchen sink and all 2 week tour - probably ok for much longer. The only issue is security and full they are heavy lifting on and off for hotels with upstairs rooms.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
...a horse in a neoprene thong? Whatever next!
Ha ha arent they all like that - mmm so it must be a Welsh thing!!!

Or of course it could be predictive text on my iThong uuuhhhmmm THING

Love it

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can contribute with a few pictures. I bought the sports panniers a month ago but haven't actually used them yet. I searced for "cheap quality" panniers with large capacity (NO Biltema!, you scandinavians know what I mean). Found theese on Ebay. 113 pounds shiped to my doorstep in sweden. That is cheaper than all soft givi models and copies, except Biltema (in sweden). 65 litres total capacity puts them i in the larger range.

But they seem to be great and fit nicely without any rack. But as angelo said the rain covers are probably going to flap around in the wind. Funny that Oxford advertises them with waterproof zip's and included rain cover... the zip's will be waterproof but the bag wont ?! Overall it seem to be a quality product with a few straps and shoulder straps included. They are "semi-rigid" (is that even a word :) ) with flat plastic inserts in the bottom, they should keep the shape fully loaded or empety.

Maybe I will come back to this thread when I have had the chance to use them :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
got a set. used then alot expanded they hold shed loads

recomended :thumbup:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I've had a set since 2000. I haven't seen the rain covers for them since about then, never had any water get inside without rain covers.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I've had a set since 2000. I haven't seen the rain covers for them since about then, never had any water get inside without rain covers.
Come to Wales in the winter - lots of opportunity to test how waterproof they are! Ha ha seriously they are pretty good but I found if you got them reall soaked and the stayed in a hotel or camped the didn't dry out quickly enough - using the rain covets with a cargo net over them kept the bags dry and stopped the covers flapping. The covers I have are the plastic ones - bulking but waterproof - the new ones are thin nylon in a special pocket in the top of the bag - neat and light etc - still need the cargo net though as they flap enough to tear eventually

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Come to Wales in the winter - lots of opportunity to test how waterproof they are! Ha ha seriously they are pretty good but I found if you got them reall soaked and the stayed in a hotel or camped the didn't dry out quickly enough - using the rain covets with a cargo net over them kept the bags dry and stopped the covers flapping. The covers I have are the plastic ones - bulking but waterproof - the new ones are thin nylon in a special pocket in the top of the bag - neat and light etc - still need the cargo net though as they flap enough to tear eventually
I've had many winter rides in south Wales, honestly, I don't know how you put up with it. That comedian Rhod Gilbert ( I think that's his name) has got it spot on when he asks welsh people in the audience "At what age did you realise it was possible to take your cagoule off?"

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have put the Oxford panniers on the twin

Sofar seem to be fine

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had a set of soft luggage that expanded out on my vfr800 and rode from amsterdam to istanbul and back and were the best,stil got them now and use them on my yam xt600 cos the givi rack nearly broke both my ankles in a riverbed.......:thumbup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Stick some builders bags or similar inside panniers, your gear stays dry and you can take them out when you get where your going and leave panniers in situ. Dry and hassle free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts