Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Went over the chanel with P&O at the week end , on the way back the deck hand told me I had to strap my own bike down to the deck , on the out ward sailing they did it, but I was told coming back that it was new company policie, in other words if your bike falls over its now your fault not P&Os,
The deck hand said it was due to bikers complaining ?.
So be warned
Only ever had problems with SEA FRANCE.:eek:

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Hi, Went over the chanel with P&O at the week end , on the way back the deck hand told me I had to strap my own bike down to the deck , on the out ward sailing they did it, but I was told coming back that it was new company policie, in other words if your bike falls over its now your fault not P&Os,
The deck hand said it was due to bikers complaining ?.
So be warned
Only ever had problems with SEA FRANCE.:eek:

I always prefer to strap it down myself - just in case some monkey doesnt do it properly - and i end up worrying all the way across if its upright at the other side..

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
on one plymouth/santander run with brittany ferries the deck jonnie pulled the strap down so much the seat burst off its mounts, bloody fool. now i put the bike on the centre stand, chock both wheels and use the strap over the handlebars to compress the forks.
only on the santander run where it gets a bit choppy in the bay of biscay. all other ferry crossings ive tried have been good as gold.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
I'm not sure on the fine print, but there's something in a maritime law about them being responsible for vehicles when they're on the boat (they're counted as freight or something). If they decline to strap it down, they may still be liable if it falls over.

I know (from my motor insurance days) that they're responsible if they're directing you and you hit something, but I think it may go wider than that.

Or my information may be completely out of date.

On my last trip to France the LD Lines crew member strapped the bikes down on the way over and the way back and undid them too (we beat him to it on the way home, but he was clearly on his way to). Perhaps it just depends on how many bikes there are on the boat, because they don't always do that.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
On my last trip to France the LD Lines crew member strapped the bikes down on the way over and the way back and undid them too (we beat him to it on the way home, but he was clearly on his way to). Perhaps it just depends on how many bikes there are on the boat, because they don't always do that.
The nice guys on Brittany Ferries last summer were very helpful we found both ways, and were unstrapping the bikes as we arrived.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'm happy to take the crews advice, but I always strap my own bike down since a Dover-Calais trip many years back, when they strapped my Ducati down so hard that they snapped the sidestand. I spent 7 days, at the Le Mans 24 Hours, and a bit of touring, trying to find walls and trees to lean the thing against!!!

Bob :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts