Honda XRV Forum banner

Paint Explorations

24K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  TJE 
#1 · (Edited)
My beloved @ will be getting a refresh in the next 6 months or so. I've had a nice chat with Mr. Stormforce8 and am currently trying to figure out how I can explain my crazy plan to the wife! :D

My bike already has a boano fairing with custom paint...but the fiberglass has taken quite a beating. My plan is to get another fairing, among other things, from our favorite Rugged Roads. For now, I need to save up and play with some paint options. Here are a few I thought I would share with fellow @ers!

Here is what I currently have:

And here are a few options...

This one was inspired by a Ducati 916:

And here is one to match my 1989 Transalp!! :p

See less See more
#3 ·
Very colorful indeed ... I'd go with the orange, but without the grid in the background, and perhaps with black side covers instead of grey :)

Very nice photoshop work, by the way!

#7 · (Edited)
I am at the begining of a Boano RR project. I am going through hoops deciding on a colour scheme. I currently favour the transalp colours you have created. Mudwiz on this forum has offered to lend me a transalp panel with the right colours for a colour match. I was fairly settled on that till I saw the orange one with the world map. Now I am definatly undecided!
All the options exept the first one do it for me. I wish I was able to use photoshop to create options.

#14 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will post more options based on your feedback tonight (just got to work). Some replies:

TJE, I'll do a new version of the orange without the grid and with black panels like you suggest.

Kevinhancock750, I got a quote on a simple paint job to like I have now at around $750 USD (for all plastics and tank). The extra graphics would be more. I suppose I could go with decals...haven't really looked into it much. When you are designing your dream bike, cost doesn't enter the picture I suppose! I'll regret that later!

Traveller, I have set up the photoshop file to allow fairly easy alterations for someone who knows photoshop well..so I can do some alts if you like. Is there a paint job you want to see?

Craigrevo, I'll do a coffee brown one this evening!

Racinghero55, yeah photoshop. I'm a designer by trade, so this stuff comes pretty easy.

Snaphappy, good point about the equator...I'll give it a shot tonight.

#17 ·
Kevinhancock750, I got a quote on a simple paint job to like I have now at around $750 USD (for all plastics and tank). The extra graphics would be more. I suppose I could go with decals...haven't really looked into it much. When you are designing your dream bike, cost doesn't enter the picture I suppose! I'll regret that later!
Id urge you to try it your self! My whole paint job cost me around £120 and that includes £40 for decals.
I learned how to paint by watching a guy on youtube and my first ever paint job turned out fine. Here is a link to my project! ;)
This guy is excellent at teaching how to paint with cans.
YouTube - Step One in Painting the DIO

#26 ·
Yes mate, all off the shelf spray cans (rattle cans) and wet and dry sanding. Watch all the parts to the video tutorial I posted, and you will see just how easy and rewarding it is. ;)

Hi Craigrevo, I saw your paint job at the Ace overlanders day, it looked as good in the flesh as it looked in your pictures. Amazing for a rattle can job, absolutly fantastic for a first attempt.
Thank you very much mate, I also never thought a good finish was achievable from cans, until I watched the youtube tutorial. :thumb:

#24 ·
My beloved @ will be getting a refresh in the next 6 months or so. I've had a nice chat with Mr. Stormforce8 and am currently trying to figure out how I can explain my crazy plan to the wife! :D

My bike is already has a boano fairing with custom paint...but the fiberglass has taken quite a beating. My plan is to get another fairing, among other things, from our favorite Rugged Roads. For now, I need to save up and play with some paint options. Here are a few I thought I would share with fellow @ers!

Here is what I currently have:

And here are a few options...

This one was inspired by a Ducati 916:
I wish i could learn how to do photoshop / paintshop pro like that, all i ever use it for is correcting photo's. What programme did you use??

#25 · (Edited)
JasonBC,

You guys across the pond have all manner of Transalp colors from Honda. Here in the states we only had them for two years and technically only have three colors: white, red and "moonstone". The white with red and blue stripes finish is, by far, the most common (and my fav).

I shot the picture with my DSLR and chopped it up in Photoshop. The trick is build shadow and highlight layers on top of the color to make the paint seem more realistic. I can share my tricks if others want to do it for themselves.

Itching to get home and bang out a few more color options!

#27 ·
I shot the picture with my DSLR and chopped it up in Photoshop. The trick is build shadow and highlight layers on top of the color to make the paint seem more realistic. I can share my tricks if others want to do it for themselves.
Ahhh So you do all your shading on a clear layer of its own and save that layer, so you can then add it to the base coloured bike?

#31 · (Edited)
#32 ·
#33 ·
I had a little bit of time to put a few more options together...

First off is a "coffee brown" version of a previous design:

Next are two revisions to the orange design (one that keeps the grid and one that drops it):

Here is a new version of the blue/white design based on an earlier suggestion:

With all my clients, I always include one "way out there" design. This option came about by asking myself "what would a revamp of the original Marathon XRV look like?" I realize that redesigning a classic is likely considered sacrilegious around here...:D

#37 ·
#34 · (Edited)
You also need to consider what it will look like with you riding the bike. Your knees will obscure much of some of those designs.

My favourite colour scheme?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Though I don't recommend my painting technique: http://www.the-zebra.com/painting/

#36 · (Edited)
You also need to consider what it will look like with you riding the bike. Your knees will obscure much of some of those designs.

My favourite colour scheme?

View attachment 11159

Though I don't recommend my painting technique: Painting | The Zebra
yup see you took the picture from a distance so you cant see the brush marks :) you used a yard brush as I recall and B&Q's finest :)

#41 ·
Hi Ujeni.

Bumping an old thread but its a beauty. :thumbup:

U got fantastic design skills there sir. :salute:

I've got a black 2001 RD07A and have to repaint damaged fairing & front panels as well as paint a new Touratech 43ltr tank.

Before jumping straight back to the OEM black, I'm toying with a colour change, possibly to all-white with subtle (minimalistic) decal work in black, charcoal or silver colour. I'll leave the bash plate as a polished metal finish but will change my black crash bars to match the scheme if necessary.

Is there any chance you might have some spare time to Photoshop an all-white AT please? It's a bold request I know and a bit presumptuous too, but I hope you don't mind... no offence if you tell me to nick off. :-D Also, any suggestions you may have with decal work would be great too but no worries if you don't have any to offer... I'll get busy with a marker pen.

Farc

#42 ·
Here's a shot of mine, that you may be able to use? My original sketch is below also, but the image is quite small.

I still have the stickers lying around ... actually I like it best without, allthough not so faithfull to the brand :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.