Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original paint on my '98 bike's clutch casing has peeled quite a bit, as is quite typical on many AT's. I've sanded off the offending paint with wet & dry paper and, not wanting to remove the downpipes and casing at the present, plan to mask and respray the casing in-situ, at least the centre part where the paint had peeled.
Any suggestions for a suitable rattle can (ideally from experience, please!) which is a good colour match and durable? And should it be primed?
Many thanks.
PS - the paint on the other side, to the alternator casing, is perfect.... strange how one side is so bad and the other so good

·
Registered
51 Posts
The original paint on my '98 bike's clutch casing has peeled quite a bit, as is quite typical on many AT's. I've sanded off the offending paint with wet & dry paper and, not wanting to remove the downpipes and casing at the present, plan to mask and respray the casing in-situ, at least the centre part where the paint had peeled.
Any suggestions for a suitable rattle can (ideally from experience, please!) which is a good colour match and durable? And should it be primed?
Many thanks.
PS - the paint on the other side, to the alternator casing, is perfect.... strange how one side is so bad and the other so good View attachment 166277
Try the RS Racepaint website. I've just looked and they list a Silver Grey Metallic Engine paint. I've used their stuff before and it works. I'm pretty sure that you have to buy primer, top coat and lacquer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try the RS Racepaint website. I've just looked and they list a Silver Grey Metallic Engine paint. I've used their stuff before and it works. I'm pretty sure that you have to buy primer, top coat and lacquer.
I got the name wrong. It's rsbikepaint.com

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Eddie, I'll have a look at the RS website. I've bought a couple of touch-up sticks from them before and have found them quite helpful. Hope you're keeping well, we should meet up at H's again to talk AT's sometime over the summer!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, Eddie, I'll have a look at the RS website. I've bought a couple of touch-up sticks from them before and have found them quite helpful. Hope you're keeping well, we should meet up at H's again to talk AT's sometime over the summer!
Good idea to meet at H's. Do please let me know when you visit. I had a similar corrosion problem on mine. When I saw the financial investment required for such a small area of paint and the time and effort involved in applying it, I cut a disc out of carbon fibre look vinyl and stuck it over the offending area (after priming with a paintbrush). Four years later it's still fine. A bodge maybe, but I call it character. I also considered a pair of Rugged Roads Kevlar Case Guards, which are only a little bit more expensive than the primer, paint and lacquer from RS. See you anon.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after a little bit of further research I've ordered a can of Autotek aluminium VHT spray paint from David Silver spares. I phoned them and asked if they simply sold it or have they had any direct experience of using it as well? The chap I spoke to said it's what they used on the CB400/4's they've refurbished and sold on in nearly-new condition. So that's a recommendation of sorts, I guess, rather than buying blind. It needs no primer or lacquer finish, and can be applied to bare metal as well as existing paint so long as all is (unsurprisingly) rubbed down and cleaned.
So, I've rubbed down the offending part of the casing with emery cloth followed by wet & dry, to leave a fine surface key, all cleaned with spirit.
Just waiting for the paint to arrive and will report back once it's done!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, after a little bit of further research I've ordered a can of Autotek aluminium VHT spray paint from David Silver spares. I phoned them and asked if they simply sold it or have they had any direct experience of using it as well? The chap I spoke to said it's what they used on the CB400/4's they've refurbished and sold on in nearly-new condition. So that's a recommendation of sorts, I guess, rather than buying blind. It needs no primer or lacquer finish, and can be applied to bare metal as well as existing paint so long as all is (unsurprisingly) rubbed down and cleaned.
So, I've rubbed down the offending part of the casing with emery cloth followed by wet & dry, to leave a fine surface key, all cleaned with spirit.
Just waiting for the paint to arrive and will report back once it's done!
Good luck with the masking. I look forward to the official unveiling at H's!

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
After masking the adjacent components, I sprayed the clutch casing today. The VHT aluminium paint is not a particularly good colour match to the OEM paint finish, but is preferable to the very flaky original.... it will suffice until next winter when I'll take off the casing and get it fully stripped and repainted for a more precise match. Now to get the bike MoT'd and back in use after 6 yrs off the road.
After fitting a new battery the other day, it refused to start. The culprit was the fuel pump, which had packed-up after being idle for so long. Luckily, I had a spare Facet pump sitting around and after fitting it, it fired-up without hesitation.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the aluminium VHT paint I sprayed onto the clutch casing has gone, I was not entirely happy with it. I'll remove the casing and get it powder coated next winter with a better matching shade of silver.
I took off the VHT simply using Solvol metal polish - even after curing with the heat of the engine, it remained soft. Then I cleaned the casing with 800 and 1200 grade paper, and finally with Solvol. It actually looks quite good but will undoubtedly need very regular cleaning to keep looking good - not really what one should be doing with a trail bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used Simoniz Engine Enamel Spray Aerosol Aluminium Silver Paint. Decent match for OEM.
No primer is required - just clean well as I see you have done.
Available on eBay/Amazon
Still going strong four years later
[You don't need VHT for clutch/alternator cases -plus always a dull finish in my experience)

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you're quite right, Sheep, the VHT paint I used had a dull (satin/matt) finish, plus it had a rough surface even after applying it relatively slowly & evenly. I can see it working on a cylinder block/head where the high temp would cure it properly, plus it would not be in a highly visible location like the clutch casing where appearance is everything.
I now think I'll leave the casing as it is - it's cleaned up very well, with the remaining sound OEM paint hardly distinguishable from the polished central part. It's all part of the age-related patina that a bike acquires over time, which is a good thing so long as it doesn't look uncared for. At least that's what Eddie19 and I agreed when we met up at H's biker cafe yesterday whilst my AT was being MoT'd!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts