Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all .
Starting rebuild RD04
Need recondition ... frame is rusted to f**k nothing new . Was wondering what's best way to go powdercoating or painting ? Or is there anything else ?
Val

2 bikes , twice is happy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Glass blast - metallization and then paint.
Powdercoating can be okay - but not as nice looking ... imo

·
Junior
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glass blast - metallization and then paint.
Powercoating can be okay - but not as nice looking ... imo
Cheers , to be honest I don't care about looks to much its protection I want , now days powder coating much better and loads colours

2 bikes , twice is happy

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quality powder coating, if you have access to it, will be more durable than paint. Paint is easier to repair if it gets damaged.
I'd zinc plate the entire frame in any case.

·
Junior
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zinc plate ....? Yeah that an option . See how much will cost .

2 bikes , twice is happy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cheers .....Have tried both options and no Im not particular fond of the "melted cheese" look.
Both metods are probably good but of course everything depends on a really careful blasting.
If you get the frame metallized after blasting, it will last just as long as powdercoating .... if not longer!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Zinc plating a frame. I have mixed feelings.

First, the frame will be dipped into acid for prepping. Then cleaned. Plated. Neutralized. Holes will need drilling to allow fluids to escape the cavities. Then the dripping will leave traces. And remember that the frame was acid dipped, meaning some cavities will be left to raw metal, without plating.

Been there. Done that. Never again.

The whole resto : https://www.facebook.com/Massive-Ride-1153740581384956/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1156113051147709

·
Junior
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right Lee, I can see it's long process, did you paint frame after or left like that ? I'm on the budget so we see what happens .

2 bikes , twice is happy

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's only additional corrosion protection, it should be painted over. If the part is of complex shape it the plating doesn't have uniform look or can have dripping marks and it will become dull over time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts