Honda XRV Forum banner

Painting engine cases

13K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Wingnut 
#1 ·
Had a search and could not get a defn answer - when painting the side cases on the @ do I need to use a primer - special or std - fair bit of corrosion on them so will rub back and then respray but want to do it once - the right way
thx James

#2 ·
A pal of mine resprayed mine about twelve months back.
Rubbed back, then hi-build primer, rubbed back again, standard primer then top coat of wheel silver, lastly laquered.
Wheel paint is a good choice as it's developed for alloy wheels that also get hot.

Here's the pics.

Before

After

It's now been twelve months and a few thousand miles and they still look like this.
Hope this helps.

#5 ·
+1 Thanks!:thumbup:
Looks nice

I have been thinking of doing the same for a while since I resprayed all black parts. Made a huge difference as my bike had alot of surface corrosion. I also used wheel paint for the black, but no clearcoat. Also used black "hot paint for the exhaustpipe covers. But now the bad engine cases sticks out. So I need to paint the cases as well. ;)

engine case corrosion

Treadtrader:
What color did your freind use? I used cheap wheel color (for you scandinavians: "Biltema fälgfärg") for the black bits but would like some paint of better quality for the engine ceses.

#6 ·
+1 Thanks!:thumbup:
Looks nice

Treadtrader:
What color did your freind use? I used cheap wheel color (for you scandinavians: "Biltema fälgfärg") for the black bits but would like some paint of better quality for the engine ceses.
Sorry i can't help regarding colour. He works in a big body shop and mixes the paint to suit.
Best of luck.

#9 ·
Futter

Yes , my bike had a previous owner who knew nothing about bikes or just didnt give a sh1t . If your going to refurd your shocks you should change the oil seals and dust seals at a minimum and buy the way its easy.
I striped my forks for a rebuild. Wire brush the housings of the fork , then filed down a couple of nicks , did a good job degreaseing them and sprayed em with hammerite silver smooth finish and gave them a week to cure in the house. This is what they looked like before I started.

And this is how they finished up.

I did the head stock and lower as well .
I'm minding the bike now so far theres been no problem with the paint in fact the hammerite on the crank cases seems to have cured hard on account of the heat time will tell but Im happy.

Hope thats of some help.

Jonny

#10 ·
Here's some correspondence I had with RS Bike Paint. Please note the reference for the exact colour match :

Sent: 09 March 2010 09:46
To: Wilkins, Mike
Subject: Re: Enquiry from Website

Hi Mike,

You'll need to rub down any loose paint, prime the bare metal with a self etch primer...apply the paint and then a satin lacquer. If you'd like to discuss this in more detail, please give us a call quoting paint reference 15550 and we'll be happy to help!

Heidi

Many thanks,

RS Bike Paint Ltd

Tel: 01707 273219
www.rsbikepaint.co.uk
sales@rsbikepaint.co.uk

----- Original Message -----
To: RS Motorbike Paint
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 7:28 PM
Subject: Enquiry from Website

Hi RS
the laquered finish on the alu crankcase left hand side cover is lifting and corroding underneath, on a 2000 model Honda XRV Africa Twin. This I presume is due to stone chips.
The engine casings appear to have a slightly bronze silver finish for which I understand you can supply an exact match.
Please can you explain what I need to rectify the situation
Thanks
mIKE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.