Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyup,

Whilst planning next year's road trip week (probably to the Nuburgring), my mate spotted a Pama intercom system which M&P are doing for £70 at the moment, which could be fun.

Anyone have any experience of this kit?:confused:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
No but I have done loads in that price range and will only recommend Autocom

maybe a bit more than your budget will allow at the moment but they are an investment anything cheap is a waste of money

IMO

what is it your after
Bike to bike via PMR
or rider pillion
or Satnav
or mp3
or telephone

Autocom does them all and no I haven't got shares,
I've just wasted loads of money gaining experience

good luck

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
No but I have done loads in that price range and will only recommend Autocom

maybe a bit more than your budget will allow at the moment but they are an investment anything cheap is a waste of money

IMO

what is it your after
Bike to bike via PMR
or rider pillion
or Satnav
or mp3
or telephone

Autocom does them all and no I haven't got shares,
I've just wasted loads of money gaining experience

good luck
Yep:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Got my autocom now 6 years or so and still have not found any better.Tried the "NEW" Nolan blue tooth intercom.:rolleyes::rolleyes:Absolute rubbish:(:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Yep:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Got my autocom now 6 years or so and still have not found any better.Tried the "NEW" Nolan blue tooth intercom.:rolleyes::rolleyes:Absolute rubbish:(:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I have the Nolan Bluetooth and changed it for the Autocom, a much better system.

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
There was an advert in MCN this week, big discounts on Autocom :thumbup:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
+1 on the Autocom, got mine s/h off Ebay 3 years ago and never had a problem, does my mp3 player and satnav as well. :D:D:thumbup:

Andy.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Me too, + 1 for Autocom

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
All complex systems are only as good as their weakest point.

Experience with building my own intercoms (I'm a communications engineer so that isn't as scary as it looks) has revealed that the weak link is always the headset; that is, the speaker & mic in the helmet, and the wiring from there to the "brain".

I have also observed that expensive intercoms have very good headsets, and cheap intercoms always have crap headsets. I conclude that the headset must be the part where all the manufacturing and development expense lives. This makes sense, as the innards of the "brain" couldn't possibly account for the pricing differences across the range. My first intercom "brain" was an £8 special, and the "brain" innards were only about half as complex as an Autocom's innards.

If it were possible to buy an exotic headset from a manufacturer of expensive, quality gear and then marry it up with any old "brain" then this would be a good way to save money without sacrificing too much quality or versatility. But that is extremely difficult unless you feel happy making up adaptors.

So if you can't go down this route, just pay up and take the hit. Buy the best. A low-quality intercom will drive you nuts. It will be more annoying than not having an intercom at all, by a large margin. So you will soon just stop using a cheaper one. And then you will have wasted the purchase price completely.

If anyone wants to know what I built in the end, then I can discuss the process I went through by pm. Or email. But if any experimenters are interested, I can point out that I now favour throat-mic bands with soundtube earpieces. These also have the hidden advantage of being usable with any and all helmets that you might wear.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
If it were possible to buy an exotic headset from a manufacturer of expensive, quality gear and then marry it up with any old "brain" then this would be a good way to save money without sacrificing too much quality or versatility. But that is extremely difficult unless you feel happy making up adaptors...................
you'd never get the makers to standardize on fittings, its not in their interests to.
it takes a long time argueing to even decide what that standard should be, it took the frogs 20yrs to bring out metric, and even then they had to behead anyone who didnt like it, and the rest of the world are still not sure after 300yrs!:mrgreen:

·
chrisb
59 Posts
-1 on the Autocom. I have one. Totally crap. Spent as much money again onto their techie team to try sort it out. Don't waste your money. Enjoy the silence.:happy11:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
-1 on the Autocom. I have one. Totally crap. Spent as much money again onto their techie team to try sort it out. Don't waste your money. Enjoy the silence.:happy11:
place it here in the for sale corner if you want rid of it
What have you got and please can I have first refusal if you want to sell.

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
it took the frogs 20yrs to bring out metric... and the rest of the world are still not sure after 300yrs!:mrgreen:
"Rest of the world" ?

By that, do you mean "The USA and people in the UK who are over 20" ?

The whole world apart from those two groups have been happily metric for a very long time...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts