Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I posted this in the travel section but didn't get much of a reply, was hoping to have better luck here.

Well Im heading out From Ireland to Alaska in June and taking about 7 or 8 Months to reach Argentina.
Being planing it for a few years but getting down to the small details now.
What Im trying to find out is what spares, I DON'T NEED TO CARRY.
The Africa twin was not sold in the Americas, so is it possable to get the usually consumables there, as in break pads, sprockets,chain, leavers. tyres, oil filters, wheel bearings.
All of these I have in the garage but trying to keep the weight down.

So if anyone has done some of this trip in the last few years on a similar bike, it would be great to hear from you.

Will be riding one up on a 02 Africa twin xrv 750.

Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I having owned an RDO7A-W in N. America some 6 years now maybe I can help.

With the AT 750cc motor sharing the same crankshaft as the Honda Shadow you will find many tidbits such as gaskets, orings etc...Many parts from the AT illustrated parts come up good here...but many don't.

What you won't find in N. America will be head gaskets and you hope you never need those.

Clutch cable...bring one. Not a good # here. Levers, grips, oil filters etc can be found here no prob.

Wheel bearings can be sourced cheaply from a Bearing Supply Dealer in any major town.

OEM fuel pump. Might be hard to find one and exspensive. I hope your running a Facet solid state pump on a trip such as yours.

Regulator Rectifier...bring one. You can find alternates here but the connector will be wrong. A battery charge monitor is a must IMO for a long trip so that you know the status of your electrical system at all times. The overvoltage situation these R/R's go into can ruin your day. I purchased one here recently. Best price and reasonable shipping.
http://www.te-motorcyclespares.co.uk/RegulatorRectifierHonda.asp

The OEM front sprocket is easy to source from Honda but finding a rear sprocket may be more difficult. 525 drive chain is common of course but not everybody carries the 124 links req'd.

You won't find an AT OEM honda air filter over here. It might be good
if you have fitted a K&N cleanable filter.

EBC front brake pads FA185R are readily available here.

Plan to get tires here at SWMoto when in the USA. They ship free. The Shinko 705's are cheap cheap. Check it out.
Dual Sport
Bring at least 3 tire levers and a patch/tube repair kit.

Give me a shout if you come through Calgary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lad's.

That is exactly the info I was after.

I have a spare clutch cable ran alone with the current one ready for action. Have a Facet fuel pump prepped for installation but will carry it as a spare. Have a Regulator Rectifier spare but will install a charge monitor, good idea.
Have k&N installed.
Have my three leavers and puncture repair kit. Hope I don't need to use them I a hurry. Takes me a long time to break the bead.

So am I correct in saying no break pads required, oil filters.
Was not going to bring a chain as I figgered i'd easy get one there.
When im near Calgary will give you a shout GSPD750.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Thanks lad's.

That is exactly the info I was after.

I have a spare clutch cable ran alone with the current one ready for action. Have a Facet fuel pump prepped for installation but will carry it as a spare. Have a Regulator Rectifier spare but will install a charge monitor, good idea.
Have k&N installed.
Have my three leavers and puncture repair kit. Hope I don't need to use them I a hurry. Takes me a long time to break the bead.

So am I correct in saying no break pads required, oil filters.
Was not going to bring a chain as I figgered i'd easy get one there.
When im near Calgary will give you a shout GSPD750.

Thanks for your input.
Yup. Oil filters, brake pads, drive chain all easy to source here for the AT.

Hopefully I'm on days off from work so it might be possible to ride into Banff with you. Your welcome to hang your hat here for the night. Have garage and tools. cheers.
Wayne
phone 403 275-9360

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
A small 12v pump to pump up tyres - those gas cylinder things are rubbish. Nippy Normans have a deal on a small one that has good reviews. I got one from Halfords - it is apprx 6x4x2 and packs everything inside the case even smaller is the one that is just a pipe fitting into a spark plug - not sure if ok on. Twin plug bike though I suspect not

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last year, I traveled North-Central-South Americas. by RD07.
It had taken about 100,000km/1year.

In general, you can get usual-consumptions.
(Tyre,drive-chain,brake-pad,wheel-bearings,oilfilter,spark plug)
At GuatemalaCity,Bogota(Colombia),Santiago(Chile),Buenos Aires(Argentina),
there are many bike-parts shop. you can get all of them.

RD07's F&R sprockets, you can not get in all Americas.
Therefore you need to take or arrange for sending them out from your home/friends.

In South America, it's hard to find 124/130Links O-ring chain.
I always used non-sealed, clip-type, China-made, cheap 525chain.(with Scott oiler)
I bought 100L x 2, and cut & connected as 124Link.
I recommend you to add a small chain-cutter to your tools.

RD07's Rear brake pads are not general in all Americas include USA & Canada.
Even Honda dealer doesn't have stocks. but...
Probably it's same as Buell XB's, some Triumphs', Suzuki DL650's one(please check it out by yourself)
...so maybe you can get it.

The highest place I rode in Andes is 4800m-altitude.
RD07's normal carbu did not have any problem.

Air freight cost Panama to Colombia is about 900US$ per 1 bike(+pannier).
Air ticket for yourself is 312US$ per 1 person. Total 1212US$ (or more).

It's hard to get fine road map below Guatemala.(except Chile,Argentina,Brazil).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here in Argentina you can find any consumible (oil, oil filter) Japan made DiD chain w/ o-ring (not sealed) you have to use clip.
Original Honda air filter, brake pads and F&R sprockets are hard to find and expensive, but here there is always Plan B...
I´ve a 2000AT RWB and trere are a lot of them running here.
For Garmin Gps maps you can check:
Proyecto Mapear
It´s free and very complete in Argentina

If you need samething else feels free to ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts