Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last outing with the panniers on (ArdCases on SWMotec racks), the off-side frame was hitting the exhaust can on big bumps as the racks had bowed in too much with the wieght of the boxes. So, I decied that some form of adjuster was needed in the cross-bar that goes across the back in front of the number plate.

I just hacked the bar in half (pic 1), welded an M12 nut to one end, (Pic 2), then turned an M12 bolt into a screw by cutting the thread all the way down to the head, (Pic 3). I then filed the numbering off the head of that and another M12 bolt so that they would sit flush together and welded them up, (Pic 4), I then cut the threads off the bolt to leave just the shank, which is a nice sliding fit into the other side of the cross-bar. With the addition of a stainless steel nyloc nut to the threaded end to act as a lock-nut once the width is set, (Pic 5), hey presto, job done.......

Now all I need to do is put the frames and boxes on then once they are packed I can wind threaded portion out which will force the rear of the frames apart, once happy they are clear of everything, just wind the lock-nut bcak along till it contacts the end of the bar and that should stop the bloody things smacking bits of the bike they shouldn't..........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts