Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to take the plunge and order some Aly box's for an upcoming trip to Scotland and the Islands..but which pannier rack is the best?..I have discounted the Givi due to the smaller tube diameter..which leaves Touratech (expensive), Holan , Hepco Becker or ????

I have heard the Hepco ones are higher and therefore miss the exhaust, are the same offset left and right, is this better?

Is it possible to remove the nearside Side Cover with any of these as its where iv'e put my Scottoiler?

Help:confused:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ricki Cross Bars 002.jpg Africa Twin Panniers 002.jpg Africa Twin Panniers 003.jpg

Nothing wrong with Givi if you are NOT going extensivley OFFROAD.
Cheap/ cheerful/ No probs with access to scottoiler ;)

The panniers shown here are ALLIT Boxes ( from Klaus in Germany via E bay )

I moved onto (EXPENSIVE) ARD cases on my bike now on Touratwat pannier rails.!

( klaus now sells these ALLITS at over when complete at near £200 on e bay)
but they come without lining bags and may or may not have the little locks fitted to the up and over clasps it all depends which advert you read ( in German)

good luck

magwa

PS H&B ( similar to honda original as these here are;look like this but are over £200 a set !)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Magwa...some nice pics...is there a link bar missing between pannier frames on lower rear of the Givi rack like on the Honda one shown or doesn't that come with the Givi kit?...(the bikes look in great condition)....
Thanks also for the offer on the Panniers but I was after some slimmer ones for more confident filtering in traffic!

Any more offers of advice?...should I go Givi?...there is certainly a big price advantage...Givi £90..Holan £170..Hepco £225..Touratech £240..
Any one with a Holan Rack fitted...i'm tempted as it looks a good compromise between Cost and Strength..any good?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Certainly on my TA ( Givi racks ) there is a cross-brace at the back , but it goes upwards and as well as cross-bracing it fastens up under the numberplate bracket , so you don't actually see it .

On the second set of pictures there seems to be a cross-brace at the back .

I'd be surprised if Givi didn't supply one .

I'm also curious as to why you've decided you need metal boxes for Scotland . I know it's grim oop north and all that, but I didn't think it was that grim .

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Ive got the GIVI rack with Allit boxes same as Magwa.

Heres a link to a recent thread with all the info on them...

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/74324-cheap-panniers.html

Ive just finished (last night) putting extra bars to strengthen. They make a big difference. Im also considering extra strength bars on other parts of the boxes. Ive heard from Anton that these boxes can surviive a drop so they are not so bad. They are wide though, wider than the bars...just.

There is no rear brace on the GIVI racks. But Ive dropped my @ and theres been no damage to the frame (never dropped with panniers on yet....still to use the panniers so cant really comment on how they perform on the road).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks for that Magwa...some nice pics...is there a link bar missing between pannier frames on lower rear of the Givi rack like on the Honda one shown or doesn't that come with the Givi kit?...(the bikes look in great condition)....
Thanks also for the offer on the Panniers but I was after some slimmer ones for more confident filtering in traffic!

Any more offers of advice?...should I go Givi?...there is certainly a big price advantage...Givi £90..Holan £170..Hepco £225..Touratech £240..
Any one with a Holan Rack fitted...i'm tempted as it looks a good compromise between Cost and Strength..any good?
Givi's don't have the 'crossbar' fitted and don't suffer for lack of it. I think as they are well cheaper than Touratwat and the like if you feel the need you could make your own extra cross bar ;)
Good luck

Magwa;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Certainly on my TA ( Givi racks ) there is a cross-brace at the back , but it goes upwards and as well as cross-bracing it fastens up under the numberplate bracket , so you don't actually see it .

On the second set of pictures there seems to be a cross-brace at the back .

I'd be surprised if Givi didn't supply one .

I'm also curious as to why you've decided you need metal boxes for Scotland . I know it's grim oop north and all that, but I didn't think it was that grim .
I have got a top box and throw-overs which have been fine..I have done Switzerland (perfect weather) and Norway (mostly good weather) but the top box is coming to the end of its days, the latch is playing up and the throw-overs absorb water so your reliant on plastic bags!...so its time to invest in something...and yes I may witness the odd shower in Scotland, I believe its not unheard of!

Thanks for the input lads..I think I will go down the Holan route as they look pretty bomb proof to me and there cheaper than Touratwot?..lol.. they do a symmetrical set (you have to move the exhaust!) or ones with an offset for the exhaust in black or silver...

Holan » Asym. Pannier rack for Honda Africa

The box's look pretty neat too but not cheap...ARD Cases seem to get good reviews (Magwa?)..is there anything else up to that price bracket? (I think that rules out Touratech Zegas!).. advice on sizes, I don't want huge boxes..7" or 8" wide?:confused:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have got a top box and throw-overs which have been fine..I have done Switzerland (perfect weather) and Norway (mostly good weather) but the top box is coming to the end of its days, the latch is playing up and the throw-overs absorb water so your reliant on plastic bags!...so its time to invest in something...and yes I may witness the odd shower in Scotland, I believe its not unheard of!

Thanks for the input lads..I think I will go down the Holan route as they look pretty bomb proof to me and there cheaper than Touratwot?..lol.. they do a symmetrical set (you have to move the exhaust!) or ones with an offset for the exhaust in black or silver...

Holan » Asym. Pannier rack for Honda Africa

The box's look pretty neat too but not cheap...ARD Cases seem to get good reviews (Magwa?)..is there anything else up to that price bracket? (I think that rules out Touratech Zegas!).. advice on sizes, I don't want huge boxes..7" or 8" wide?:confused:
ARD cases ARE THE BEST and best value for money I've found
Mine are mounted to Touratech Frames on my 'Dark side' machine;)
The guy custom makes them to the size/ colour(powder coat)/mounts/locks/ you want......
what more can you ask for and all CHEAPER than Touratech stuff
SDC10264.jpg

PS :you can get the 'Budget' / cheaper ALLIT/ ALU Boxes here in the UK direct at.......wait for it £116 EACH ( bare)
see HERE:- if you want to be 'ripped off'........ ( by good honest to goodness UK business !)

http://www.4x4overlander.com/products/storage-solutions/aluboxes/

So Klaus's stuff is a BARGAIN as it includes locks/ liner bags/loops/mounting kits ! All under £200

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have finally taken the plunge...reading the forums and with numerous recommendations, I spoke to Roger of ARD Cases and now have a shiney new set on Panniers mounted on a Holan Rack...really pleased with them...really solid and no rattles.

I opted for a 7.5" and 9" wide Pannier which means the bike is only 2" wider each side than the handlebars which makes filtering through traffic easier...the panniers are 2mm seam welded aluminium powder coated silver and measure 16" long x 14.25" deep and come with integral locks.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
I have finally taken the plunge...reading the forums and with numerous recommendations, I spoke to Roger of ARD Cases and now have a shiney new set on Panniers mounted on a Holan Rack...really pleased with them...really solid and no rattles.

I opted for a 7.5" and 9" wide Pannier which means the bike is only 2" wider each side than the handlebars which makes filtering through traffic easier...the panniers are 2.5mm seam welded aluminium powder coated silver and measure 16" long x 14.25" deep and come with integral locks.

Looks good. The Ard cases look the business.
Did you go with the asymetrical rack ?
What exhaust have you got there ?

Cheers

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
looking good mate , are those frames stainless or chromed ???

·
Very Enthusiastic Member
391 Posts
Those ARD cases look quite good. I have TT racks aswell, but will be getting some Steel Pony textile panniers and have a lockable topbox. I also need to relocate my topbox like yours. Good stuff!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The rack is a Holan Asymmetrical rack which means you don't have to re-locate the exhaust, there is enough clearance to allow removal of the side panels which is handy, they make a symmetrical one as well but the exhaust has to be lowered below the rack...the frames are available in Black or Silver painted finish...no silver ones were available so Roger at ARD Cases had the rack powder coated in a very shiny (near chrome type) finish to match the boxes and my Motad crash bars, he is a really nice guy and will basically make whatever you want..if anyone wants to contact him his mobile is 07931288035.

He had a set of unpainted 'seconds' the same as mine which he was looking to offload (I couldn't see anything wrong with them but he is a bit of a perfectionist) so if anyone wants a cheaper set I suggest you have a word pronto...;)

The exhaust is a Motad Venom in 'road legal' guise...sounds awsome...:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts