Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just given my luggage setup (Trax panniers & Motech quicklock rack) their first strength test. Tried to squeeze between a wall & signpost (ok, yes, it was on the pavement but it's one of those places where you can park nae bother) as I have done plenty of times before when BANG! ....... gave the right hand side pannier an almighty [email protected] on the signpost pole.
Only then did I remember that the panniers do stick out a tad:rolleyes:

Checked everything over but all seems to be well so tick vg for the first strength test .............. I say first 'cos I'm sure there'll be more:D

Doggy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doggy - What size TraX panniers did you get - the 37s or 45s?

Thanks

KEITH
[my first post]
Hi Keith, welcome to the madhouse:thumbright:
They're the 37's. Plenty of room in 'em & they only stick out an inch or two further than the bars......... still managed to clout them tho':rolleyes:.
If I'd got the 45's it would have looked like a Vulcan bomber comimg down the road:D

Doggy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Damn fine overall set-up you got there Doggy .. :thumbup: .. I really do need to copy your example. I guess a pair of the 45L boxes might be over-the-top, widthwise .. eh?

I've read elsewhere that the TraX are top-notch stuff - and by comparison, reasonably priced too.

I'm also in the market for some crashbars. I've been looking at the SW Motech's offering (wot you got .. right?), but I'm now starting to focus on the Hepco & Becker (tank + engine c/bars combo) as my favourite.

BTW, I have a '05 650 Alp - see attachment, which is now parked-up in South Island, New Zealand; awaiting my return next February ('09). But unfortunately I [.. eh-hem] 'modified' the Givi panniers somewhat [see second attachment] - hence the reason why I'm now considering Alu replacements!

Thanks for the welcome BTW.

Cheers

KEITH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, I have a '05 650 Alp - see attachment, which is now parked-up in South Island, New Zealand; awaiting my return next February ('09).
Cool:cool: I bet there's some canny roads over there.

But unfortunately I [.. eh-hem] 'modified' the Givi panniers somewhat [see second attachment] - hence the reason why I'm now considering Alu replacements!

Thanks for the welcome BTW.

Cheers

KEITH
Ooh! .. looks like you gave the Givi gear a fairly severe scuff test:D:D

Doggy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doggy - Just one other question: Is there still plenty of leg-room for a pillion to sit astride on the rear seat and comfortably rest her legs over the boxes and still keep her feet easily planted on the passenger pegs? My one is yunno, 'normal' [kinda] - around 5'5" tall and c/w standard leg-length [i.e. not a Cornish pixie in other words].

I ask cuz I often ride with my mrs-pillion on the back. I can't really tell what the score is from your profile pic [attached below, for your ease of reference].

Thanks

KEITH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pillion comfort wasn't a consideration when I got them 'cos Sue (Mrs Doggy) has her own bike so I dunno but what I can do is get her to try it & see what she thinks. She's about 5'4" so whatever she reckons should be a fairly good pointer.

Doggy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks .. :thumbup: - I am really considering a couple of these TraX jobbies, plus a load of other stuff for the Trannie down under. Thing is, what I can't buy locally in NZ - when I get there next Feb - I'll have to buy up here first, and then get it all shipped down to a Kiwi mate in advance of my departure.

It might be that I can just buy cheaper up here in any case [notwithstanding the shipping freight costs]. So it would be more than a darn shame if I bought a pair of TraX boxes* (+ the mounting racks) up here; then got 'em sent down to Auckland only to discover that they impede 'er indoors' natural seating position.

Thanks again Doggy. Your appraisal and advice could save me a lot of hassle later on.

Cheers

KEITH

* still can't make-up my mind to go for the 37s or 45s. The 37s look good on your steed, but I'll be needing the extra stowage space for a 3-4 month long-distance trip (inc Aussie).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sue tried the pillion seat & there's plenty of room for legs & feet. The only thing she said would be handy is a pad on the front of the topbox so she could lean back & get some kip:D

Mind you, this is on a 700 but I can't imagine there'd be that much difference in the positioning between that & a 650 but it might be an idea to ask someone who has the Motech pannier rack on a 650.

Also, the 37ltr panniers stick out about a couple of inches past the bar width and the 45ltrs are about two inches wider again so yer pays yer money & takes yer chance :thumbright:

Doggy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Doggy, this is very useful info. I'm thinking of replacing the top box with a luggage rack upon which I can strap a waterproof roll bag, something like an Ortlieb duffle bag, or similar. I should be able to pack more into a soft bag; certainly it should lower the CoG. But there again, you raise the interesting issue of the pillion's backrest. Without the benefit of a top box to lean back on, then I'll need to organise something like a padded sissy bar - an accessory that I've never seen on an Alp before. [ .. have you heard of one of these?]

Panniers: The mounted (on wing racks) Givi E41s are considerably wider than the width of the bars - see pic below. This was only a problem in heavy traffic. Lane-splitting always needed a bit more thought! I think I only ever just 'clipped' a couple of car rear bumper corners, so I can live with the extra width. Interestingly, both the TraX 37s and 45s are narrower than the Givi E41s, E.g:

TraX Alu 37
490 x 370 x 230 mm (37L)

TraX Alu 45
490 x 370 x 280 mm (45L)

Givi E41 Monokey
575 x 433 x 290 mm (41L)

I'm thinking now far more seriously now about getting a pair of TraX 45s.

Thanks again

KEITH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts