Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I currently looking getting a set of aluminium panniers for my @ and I’m looking for some advice.

There are Givi racks for Givi Monokey panniers already on the bike, so the first question I have is; how suitable these are for mounting aluminium panniers? I have been told that by removing the fixings that the boxes clip into from the racks that a standard mounting kit could be used (I was recommended the Touratech mounting kit), has anyone ever done this? Are the Givi racks strong enough to support the alumimium panniers?

The next thing I need to consider is which panniers to get. I’m considering either the Alpos ones or Touratech ones but the price difference is massive; £170 for alpos and about £380 for the Touratech ones. Has any seen or used both and how would you compare the 2? Are the Touratech ones worth all the extra money?

Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I bought the SWMOTEC carriers for my givi panniers because I am thinking of going over to the Aluminium boxes and these racks can carry both.
I looked at the ALPOS and the TRAX boxes they both need specific type of mounting hardware on top of the mounts to hold them.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts

·
Hi SuperNintendo Chalmers
248 Posts
Hi ******,

I have just fitted Alpos 32lt ones to my Baby dero,

which i fitted to my Givi monokey rack i also removed the monokey mounting at the top, i used the touratech pucksystem and some plastic furniture coasters £2.49 from b&q instead of the £20 spacers from touratech.

to great sucess i like to think (well thet didnt fall off this morning on the way into work)

I think the Diff in the TT and the alpos ones is the thickness of the alu Used, or this is what i have been told and imop the quality of the hinges, from what i have seen the TT hinges look better quality... But i am not sure if they are worth £210.00 more, a few people on here have used alpos for a while and would but them again

I am very impressed with my Birthday pressy, and i would rate them but these are my fisrt panniers !

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses, I'm gonna take my time before I decide (and get enough money together :rolleyes:)

Stormforce,
That link doesn't seem to work, any chance you could repost it?

Have a look through these threads :thumbright:
Cheers,

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Stan,

They look great... come with Givi compatible mounts and powder coated too.. excellent :thumbright:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ******

I've bought my boxes from 'allit' in Germany. Fitted them to Givi racks (lugs removed) on a Caponord and more recently adjusted them slighty to fit my Tiger. The service I received from my contact Klaus was second to none. You can reach him on [email protected] He gave me a lot of help and made the whole process very easy.

'allit' boxes are also now available on ebay. 'Buy it now' price is around £190.00 for two boxes, inner bags, locks, keys, intructions, fitting kit and postage from Germany. Good value I reckon.

As for performance. Mine coped with 'The Longest Day' and they're off to Bordeaux this weekend and Ireland in August. I've got every confidence in them.

Hope that's a cheaper option that helps.

Andy

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses, I'm gonna take my time before I decide (and get enough money together :rolleyes:)

Stormforce,
That link doesn't seem to work, any chance you could repost it?

Cheers,
Oops - try THIS one :thumbup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, all the advice and links etc were great. :thumbright:

I'm thinking I'll probably go with the ARD ones recommended by Stan because they look really solid (2.5 mm) are a relatively good price and come with the mounting for my Givi rack.

I'm going to call the guy this evening to discuss what I want and, as you mentioned stanbloke, he can do any colour so I'm thinking about what colours to go for.:cool:

Any suggestions for colours that might look good on an 2002 RWB @ (just like the one at the top of the screen)? I'm thinking I might just go with with the gun metal grey or silver. What do ya reckon?:color:

Cheers,

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
:thumbright:Roger is a nice bloke and the panniers are superb in build and finish.:thumbup:

the grey and black would offset the RWB on your @, and that would look cool.

I had a set on my Vara (now owned by Austin) and they are the nuts !, i had them finished in black to match the bike. being P/coated inside means that you wont get black marks on your stuff like the unfinished (TT) ones do.

Good luck with them Stefan, look forward to seeing these on an @. :D:D:D.

P.s. I think I'll be havin these on my 990, I dont like the Gobis (fleabay next week):thumbright:.

·
Yokel In Utah
1,088 Posts
My ARDCases should be arriving in the post either today or tomorrow (sent by Roger on Saturday) - I've just gone for the standard grey with black lids.

I'll be fitting them to SW-Motech QuickLock racks, so will take photos as I go.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Since your bike is red, white and blue the obvious choice for colour co-ordination would be a kind of pinky-purple. :happy10:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since your bike is red, white and blue the obvious choice for colour co-ordination would be a kind of pinky-purple. :happy10:
Oh yeah, Pinky-Purple... how obvious!?! :confused::pukeright: :D:D:D

I decided to go with the grey and black and I'm picking them up this evening :blob5::blob5:

Pole is gonna help me fit them so I will post some pics when done (if samwise doesn't beat me to it :thumbup:)

Thanks again for the advice everyone :thumb:

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Anyone know the website for ARD cases? Google's useless for words like this.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Anyone know the website for ARD cases? Google's useless for words like this.
I don't know if he has a website as he does this in his spare time and based on orders etc.

There's more info about them here

But I reckon if you need to get in touch use his ebay contact on the link posted by Stan or contact him via the ukgser site.
He seems a really sound fella :thumbup:. Can't wait to get the panners :blob5:

·
Yokel In Utah
1,088 Posts
Pole is gonna help me fit them so I will post some pics when done (if samwise doesn't beat me to it :thumbup:)
Fat chance - ParcelFarce 48 from Saturday, and not arrived yet, hopefully I'll have a delivery card today, but islands being islands...

I won't be fitting until the weekend anyway, so you should get some good shots up first :thumbup:

·
Yokel In Utah
1,088 Posts
Arrived:

I've got the SW Motech Zarges mounts, but they won't work as provided due to being designed for panniers with a lip on the bottom, whereas the ARDcases have a flat bottom.

Decisions now on whether to mod the brackets, or bolt the panniers to the removable pannier frames - to take off the panniers then would mean removal of the frames (two big bits at the top of next pic)

Hmmmmm :confused:

Oh, and find four padlocks all with the same key :toothy7:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Samwise,

Panniers look great :thumbup: They are almost identical to mine, I'll post up pics on Sunday as I only put them on the bike last night (I say I but Pole did nearly all the work, Cheers Pole, much apreciated :thumbleft:, defintely a few beers owed there!), so I haven't had a chance to upload them. (Also I'm going to Wales this weekend so hopefully I'll get some better pics than the ones I took in the rain and dark last night ;))

My first impressions of the panniers are very good. The good points are:
  • The aluminium is a good thickness and the boxes are very study :thumbleft:
  • The mounting kit for the Givi rack is very good (similar to touratech mounts)
  • The welding seems to be very good quality (not that I'd know but it looks very strong and is very neat)
  • The powder coating is great
The not so good points are:
  • The latches are not great, the padlocks vibrate with lots of noise at low speed :( (gonna replace them once I have a bit more cash)
  • I need to use a file to round off parts of the Givi frame but that's not a big deal really cos it's just the way my racks are.
  • One of the mounting pieces needs to be slightly filed and straightened a little.
The other thing I noticed is that I got 2 symmetric boxes rather than the right one being thinner to accomodate the exhaust. I only noticed after collecting them and I thought this would be issue but it's not at all, the bike feels perfectly balanced (much more so than when I use my Givi top box). Actually I barely noticed them today even though they are full of my stuff for the weekend... I avoided filtering this morning though... just in case ;)

The next thing I'm going to look into is putting a support bar between the two boxes to stop the Givi racks sagging over time with the weight (Givi racks are good but not the strongest).

So overall, I am very happy with my panniers, Roger did a great job, and I would definitely recommend them.

:D:D:D

·
Hi SuperNintendo Chalmers
248 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts