Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am planning a solo trip to Spain around Easter with a mate, It'll be my first overseas trip and the longest ride I have ever done since getting back in to bikes 9 years ago.

I have a Vara 08 with topbox, but having done a 2 day ride in autumn, I know the box isn't big enough for what will be a 8-9 day trip. Ideally I would like some hard luggage, but the cost is a bit high for me, so I am considering throw overs, however, my last memory of throw-overs was a trip to the TT in 1984 on my RD350LC and the resulting scratches on the side panels, so I'm after some advise.

My budget is £150 tops, so I guess secondhand hard luggage is a possibilty, but I don't know what to look for, and I guess I will need the mounting kit too.

Has anyone any plans/patterns for the tubular kit as I can possibly get that fabricated by a mate, or has anyone got a knackered/spare one that I can borrow to make a copy of.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy New Year one and all.

Richard

·
Registered
116 Posts
to avoid scratches from throw-overs, you can get protective self-adhesive plastic for the side panels. indeed i've seen someone use regular sticky-backed plastic from an arts/crafts shop. you can peel the stuff off afterwards (and remove any remaining adhesive with polish).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another advantage of throw-overs is that you can keep them for use on subsequent bikes when you replace your vara!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
HI
I,d love a set of hard luggage but it aint cheap i have a 45ltr top box and make do with soft panniers they work fine just make sure you have lots of fixing points ,most set have a built in rain cover but i put all the important stuff in the box. Save a lot of money you wont be using them all the time buy a good soft set
Phil:blob6:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
instead of throwovers get a big roll top ortleib type bag, from kayaking or camping stores or ebay. ive got a 90ltr bag i use as a tent bag bungied across the back seat and its more than you would need.
two long bungies going from the pillion footrests to the back of the rack holds it hard against the front of the topbox.
its very strong, secure on the bike and totally waterproof, and i got it for £12

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
If your solo, I agree to soft luggage, I've got a bag similar to the ortlieb, 100% waterproof, bodge repairs if necessary can be done with BMW GS gaffa tape. I've got pannier racks fitted and only use the panniers for shopping and deliveries, for touring there off so I can filter in trafic, regardless of who makes the hard luggage it will be wider than your bars.

Tank bag topbox and a waterproof bag will see you fine, mine is a 50ltr sponsor bag for a fiver and I'll treat myself to a new one for The Longest Day

http://www.louis.de/_

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Rich,

for a little bit (20 ish) over your £150 budget you could get this:

42 litres worth of luggage for about £85, and the pannier rack for 80 odd as well.

Bought mine from http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk/index.php .

Easy fitting, and the kappa pannier rack takes any givi monokey luggage that i subsequently save up and get.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rich, I have some aluminium boxes that you can borrow for your trip. As far as brackets ect, I am sure we can knock something up. PM me.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hello

I am planning a solo trip to Spain around Easter with a mate, It'll be my first overseas trip and the longest ride I have ever done since getting back in to bikes 9 years ago.

I have a Vara 08 with topbox, but having done a 2 day ride in autumn, I know the box isn't big enough for what will be a 8-9 day trip. Ideally I would like some hard luggage, but the cost is a bit high for me, so I am considering throw overs, however, my last memory of throw-overs was a trip to the TT in 1984 on my RD350LC and the resulting scratches on the side panels, so I'm after some advise.

My budget is £150 tops, so I guess secondhand hard luggage is a possibilty, but I don't know what to look for, and I guess I will need the mounting kit too.

Has anyone any plans/patterns for the tubular kit as I can possibly get that fabricated by a mate, or has anyone got a knackered/spare one that I can borrow to make a copy of.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy New Year one and all.

Richard
I had a set of Oxford throw overs on mine when i went to spain they were ok but the straps fitted to the bags weren't quite long enough for the bike they didn't actually ever come apart as they were velcro but there wasn't much holding them together. You could feel them moving in the wind aswell. They had 3 straps 2 over the seat and 1 under the seat ( if i remember correctly) the one that went under the seat did put a small tear in the seat cover and it did rub away a very small amount of the orange paint. I have since put full Hepco & Becker hard luggage on and would not be without it again it's far superior to soft luggage

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have a look for 'pre-enjoyed' Ventura luggage. You should be able to get the mounting frame and bag within your budget :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi.

When using hotel/guest house I can easly do a 10 day trip using only a tank bag and top box.

Learn to travel light
You don't intend going clubbing etc. :blob7::blob8:

Wash out undies, t shirts at night. They will be dry by morning.
Bring old socks, undies and leave them behind.:toothy1:

A dry bag is a very good idea for very little money, if you feel you need the space. Will be more secure on the bike than throwovers. (well if you put it on right :) )

Loudpedal

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Have a look for 'pre-enjoyed' Ventura luggage. You should be able to get the mounting frame and bag within your budget :thumbup:
no offence Twotter, but i cant believe im the only person around who thinks ventura make the ugliest luggage in the world?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
no offence Twotter, but i cant believe im the only person around who thinks ventura make the ugliest luggage in the world?
I think it has something to do with the cut up shopping trolly they use for the frame.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I think it has something to do with the cut up shopping trolly they use for the frame.

AHA! i see im not the only one then!

as functional as it undoubtably is, it does have a certain "style":thumbup: all of its own doesnt it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have used soft luggage and ey were great, ihave just got some Honda hard panniers from dasvid Silvers for £212 +vat ( as long as you like black) with all the fitting kit. After your tripo you could always sell it and perhaps make a small proffit on ebay.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I saw a set of Nonfango boxes with a universal fitting kit on Ebay today for £90 (buy now), better than any soft bags!

I've used bags once, wasn't impressed! Watched my mate Roy's ones go up on fire one day and that convinced me to never buy soft luggage!

I'm sure some have had no problems but I've only had one problem with hard luggage and that was when I forgot they were there in Jersey and caught a bollard in a car park! I replaced the catch at a bike dealers and away I went, haven't made that mistake for a while! Doh!

Honestly, a set of hard luggage with a universal kit to flit from bike to bike is the way forward!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I'm well qualified you know....my last bike was an 1150GS :clown:
my varaderos ugly but has a nice smile, a bit like fern britton, you still would.

1150gs ugly but funky ugly, like a tiger tank. i hate it when they do that, just when i start to like something they replace it with a hideous monstrosity. the 1200 just looks wrong, lots of visually great parts which when put together totally lack any impact, like a gay mans war film.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts