Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been after one of the Arrow Paris Dakar replica exhausts for my @ for ages and until recently I was only aware of the "Not for road use" 72039PD version. I was still tempted, very tempted :D

Looking on the Arrow website (search for Africa Twin to find it) I see they now do another version, 72639PD, EU homologated. I guess this is a recent addition. It's available from B&C also B&C Express | Arrow Exhaust

My question is has anyone been able to compare these two models? Are there any differences in the design, performance and noise reduction? If the road legal version performs and sounds just the same then why still sell the race version?

I appreciate it's unlikely anyone's bought both exhausts but maybe someone here got the road legal one or has been able to compare with somebody else's bike at a meet or something?

If not I guess it's a mail to Arrow.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've been after one of the Arrow Paris Dakar replica exhausts for my @ for ages and until recently I was only aware of the "Not for road use" 72039PD version. I was still tempted, very tempted :D

Looking on the Arrow website (search for Africa Twin to find it) I see they now do another version, 72639PD, EU homologated. I guess this is a recent addition. It's available from B&C also B&C Express | Arrow Exhaust

My question is has anyone been able to compare these two models? Are there any differences in the design, performance and noise reduction? If the road legal version performs and sounds just the same then why still sell the race version?

I appreciate it's unlikely anyone's bought both exhausts but maybe someone here got the road legal one or has been able to compare with somebody else's bike at a meet or something?

Just get a 'Remus Innervation'.
Road legal because it does NOT have written on it anywhere
"not for road use"
MOT testers can use their own descresion as long as its not so marked:rolleyes:
it sounds bloody beautiful and looks the part to boot
especially when compared to the 'standard' OEM sewer pipe exhaust

see below

http://www.xrv.org.uk/photopost/data/500/DSCF00421.JPG

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

I've just fitted one on my domi and have to say it sounds great without being offensively loud.
It only seems loud at tickover, my mate rode my bike today and I followed him on his and could only hear the exhaust note if I got right close to him or in built up area's yet on the bike you can hear it clearly as you ride.
I don't know the difference between this one and the race one but I do know the race one will be allot louder and pee me off after a while and I don***8217;t think I would enjoy riding behind the race one for 8 hours either no matter how nice it sounds it would get on my nerves pretty quickly

Forgot to say it is bloody light as well i think about half the weight of one of the standard Domi cans

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :thumbright: I've got some great news here - straight from the horse's mouth as it were ;) :

Good morning Mr. Andy,
there are no differences between 72039PD and 72639PD silencers, leaving apart the approval number etched on the silencer of the latter. Paris-Dakar silencers are quiet enough to enable us to test and approve these systems without changes in the inner components or noise damping baffles. However, only in the first part of this year we've been able to demonstrate that the standards followed o approve the bikes in the past years (late '80s - early '90s) were comparable with the ones in-force at the present time to test and approve those components and devices as the silencers and mufflers.

Best regards
Raffaele Rosi - Technical Department

ARROW SPECIAL PARTS S.p.A.
Very cool! :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and order the road legal PD and it's arrived today :D I'm more than a little bit excited. This is just like Christmas, well better if I'm honest! I read somewhere on here it needs a different sized clamp to fit to the stock downpipe. I'll have to see.

:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i am using the pd with k&n its amazing with out the db killer..sound much better than leo vince and remus but its really soft with the db killer and throttle heavy. i am waiting to get my racing collector front end..then i will dynojet my ride..i forgot to mention its bloody light compared to stock!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it arrived a couple of days ago - very quick shipping from B & C :thumbleft: and I fitted it quite quickly today. You're right it sounds gorgeous with the baffle out- lovely bass note - and surprisingly civilised - I think - with the baffle in - at least at low revs. The new clamp came with it.

The hardest part was actually pulling the baffle out - had to pull and wiggle it for a long while with some pliers. I'm gonna file it down a bit where the bolts screw in then it should go in and out easily.

You're right about the weight saving too - very pleased with that. I stuck the old and new exhausts on the scales. New one was just over 3 kilos; old one closer to 7! That'll cancel out some of the weight I added with the pannier racks :rolleyes: I wonder if the Arrow collectors will save you any weight too? Let me know if you get em Lucky.

I'd be interested what size jets you end up using also ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey acid..for the baffles you gotta file em..i had the same issue too..but after filing its a lil easier..i'm waitin for the dynojet kit so most likely it will be all done by end nov. but is it really important run a dyno when i am on a full system..and k&n..can i just use existing jet and retune the carbs..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
acid ..does your pd leaks ? there are leak at the back of my exhaust on the nut and also backfiring..lotz of em..
Hi, no it's not leaking as far as I know but then I've only taken it out for one short ride since I fitted it. I did it with the baffle out and it sounds GREAT :D:D:D - I felt like a right hooligan lol - the bike even seems faster from a standing start although I could be imagining that. Which nut are you finding it leaking from? Do you mean where it clamps around the Honda downpipe?

I've not had any real backfiring except for pops on overrun when I shut off the throttle quickly and that's the norm for most sports exhausts anyhow and sounds good too. Are you getting loud backfiring at other times?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi acid YES there are leaks at the end cap..very disappointing..and the baffles are not that easy to remove i have to file it so that it can get in smoothly. It sounds waaaayy better with the baffles out. I got the racing collector front exhaust...i am wondering if i need to do a dyno or just fix it and get the mech to tune the carb..if dyno jetting is gonna to affect my fc and not much of a diff in performanc. i would not dyno it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts