Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maybe his future as a bike mechanic should be put on hold for a while....
I have told him on more than one occasion that there is loads of stuff he doesnt know and he will only find out by asking folks who do.
I also told him there is no room for error or guessing when fixing bikes.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Unfortunately he aint into reading bike mags and workshop manuals ,probably never read a magazine in his life :D:D:D
I bet that the search for the voltage regulator is going to be as hard as the CDI and I have only just got my blood pressure back to normal....
I am hoping that we might get lucky and this could be a universal part.:thumbup:
Maybe jnr should stop chasing totty and more time book learnin.;););)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
He's out chasing totty......

At least he's using his time wisely ;)
I have tried to teach him that chasing totty will end up costing him more money than all the bikes and spares he will ever buy in his life time but its a strangely addictive past time and yer only young once.....right..:thumbup:
Chasing totty brought me over to Denmark back in 92 and look how well that turned out...:D:D:D

·
Registered
942 Posts
You may well need a new CDI, but having watched that clip of the bike running i cant help but think that if its working well enough for the bike to start and tick over without backfiring, cutting out generally running like its hitting the rev limiter then it should at least rev up when you open the throttle, even if it coughs and farts when you try,
might sound obvious but have you checked the carb slide is actually lifting when you open the throttle ? its easy enough for the inexperienced to ram a slide into the carb without locating the peg in the groove or not fit cables properly, probably too obvious for you to have not checked but just in case

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
You may well need a new CDI, but having watched that clip of the bike running i cant help but think that if its working well enough for the bike to start and tick over without backfiring, cutting out generally running like its hitting the rev limiter then it should at least rev up when you open the throttle, even if it coughs and farts when you try,
might sound obvious but have you checked the carb slide is actually lifting when you open the throttle ? its easy enough for the inexperienced to ram a slide into the carb without locating the peg in the groove or not fit cables properly, probably too obvious for you to have not checked but just in case
Jnr will be o
coming round after work tomorrow so we will have a talk about it.
A guy on facebook suggested that if we disconnect the black/white wire and there is still a spark the CDI is ok and jnr tested this theory and it sparks.He told me that him and his boss dicovered that there are to earth wires in this CDI so I suggested to jnr he tries to locate where they go and to clean all earths on the bike..
You all know how good I am at electrics so as suggested we are trying everything before we order a replacement CDI.
I will tell him about the carb slide so he can check it.:thumbup:
The guy who suggested disconnecting the b/w wire says one earth wirw is for the CDI and the other is for the kill switch.
I suggested to jnr a few days ago to spray the switch with WD40 but he only listens to half of what I tell him I reckon.:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Latest update..
A new battery and a voltage regulator was ordered and fitted.
I suggested to Jnr to take the CDI off the bike and leave it on top of a radiator to try and expel any moisture inside of the unit.
He did that and also put it in a sealed bag with dried rice to try and remove any extra moisture...
He did this to his iphone once when he took it swimming one day and it worked afterwards.
The bike is now starting ,running and charging at 14 volts..
Now he just needs the snow to melt so he gan go for a test ride but I told him to wait a while unless he covers the bike in ACF 50 to protect the bike from salt...
Lets see how long it is until summit else goes wrong....:thumbup:
Did I mention I hate electrics......:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Lets see how long it is until summit else goes wrong....:thumbup:
Did I mention I hate electrics......:D:D:D
Jnr found a crack in the end of the CDI that had been letting moisture in and its now been sealed with silicone and being put back on the bike....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16730812_1686206821395328_1717011035_n.jpg
I hope this sorts it because I want to get started servicing my bikes ready for spring....
Lets see how long the DT 125 runs before it packs in again....:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:

https://youtu.be/3hUo0xICL4A

21 - 29 of 29 Posts