Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I set off on the Friday to head across country. Quite unplanned I met up with BT, Ollie, Rockoz at some services? We then travelled further to meet up with GOG007 and Fishbone at some other services? After a scenic route and a few detours we got to the TA barracks in the end.

329 miles travelled today.

Meeting existing and new faces, general banter, looking at all the different bikes etc.

Cracking BBQ thanks to Snaphappy and Fishbone. Not much sleep on the Friday night if any. Captain Velcro arrived late dont know who it was but it was like everything had Velcro and Velcro unfastening went on for what seemed like 20 mins) and the ensemble of snoring kept me awake. Good call by BT et all as they decided to sleep outside in the garage that would have been considerably quieter.

3.00 am up, dressed and breakfast of tea and bacon butties courtesy of Snaphappy and Fishbone.

All set off and got to Ness Point where all the bikes were gathering. Cloudy, windy and overcast. We were hoping to be away by 4.00 am originally but sunrise was later at 4.30am. Shortly after that the ride began as the multitude of different bikes started off.

Jaqueslemac rode with us for a while. The ride was shortly engulfed in strong wind and rain for the first 20 miles or so. And it was cold. Riders started to spread out and go at their own respective paces. At times we would be riding with people we knew and then people we didn't know, all settling into their own rhythm of stops for rest, fuel, fags etc.

My plan was to run as long as we could or stop at 200 miles for fuel, which ever came first. The head wind, rain and cold and steady pace saw me stopping for the first time at 188 miles after hitting reserve. I was two up with Meesh as pillion and our baggage for the weekend.

As we got to the Midlands the weather was starting to warm up and we continued along the A5 all the way to Holyhead without another fuel stop. Weather in Wales was fantastic, however it brought out the tourists resulting in slow going.

Snowdon was again clear of clouds and standing proud in the sunshine as was Tryfan. We were making progress but not fast enough. At 11.10 am I pulled into Bangor services to phone PD Squire to let him know we would be unlikely to arrive by the 11.30 am deadline for check in. My learned friend's phone eventually went to a voicemail good enough for a summing up argument so I left a message to give our space to someone who might want to move from the later ferry and was already there.

We got back on the bike and left the services at 11.20, found another gear in the box (warp factor 9) and arrived at Holyhead 11.37 to be greated with a car crash that had happened seconds before we got there. 2 cars into the central reservation and 2 on the hard shoulder and debris everywhere. I picked a line through and shortly after some other bikes came through. Eventually rolled into the port and there was PD standing there at the gate waving 2 tickets and egging us on.

It was also then that we discovered some had not made it in time

Had some coffees on the boat and met up with the normal reprobates for banter etc.

We docked in Dublin and Sean joined us as well as Blueskies for the ride through Ireland. We passed several riders and they passed us on different fuel stops, fag breaks etc.

The weather in Ireland was scorchio too. We had a great run through some stunning villages, with thatch roofed pubs and everyone sitting outside. By now it was late afternoon and progress was far off the Google time target. Sean suggested we find a pub for tea and carry on. I was also of the same opinion as I cannot eat late and at the rate we were travelling we would not get there till late.

It was now 7pm and we had 60 or so miles to go. Found an excellent pub. Had a monster size home made burger with gammon thickness bacon topped with melted cheese with salad and chips trimmings and a pint of real Guinness. Ahhhh!

We left at 8 pm and set off on some smaller single track type roads heading west and north to get to the Dingle peninsular. Stunning views of Kerry as we progressed.

Finally arrived at Dingle then onto Dunquin along some fantastic single track roads. Stopped at Inch Bay to take some pictures. After a short while we thought we had found Garraun Point where a beautiful statue against the backdrop of rocks was but looking at the sun and the extending mountain range we decided to press on.

Then we saw another area that we thought may have been Garraun point but this was just a campsite. I said to Sean to press on a bit further and try to ask a local.

We saw Jones going the opposite way and he said he was heading back straight away.

We eventually found someone walking in the road but they were foreign and could not understand us. Just then Meesh spotted some bikes at what turned out to be the bunkhouse. We were then directed to where Garraun Point was and proceeded there instantly. We got there 9.15 pm and took some pictures while the sun was still up.

Total distance on the route we travelled from end to end 623 miles.

I have to say it was a bit of an anticlimax at the point, I was expecting something more substantial than an unmarked lay by in the road. Ho Hum! We headed back to the Bunkhouse where I dropped off our bags and Meesh and then set off at 10 pm back to Dingle to get fuel. Although it was only 11 miles away by the time I'd got fuel and returned it was nearer to 11pm but still a bit light. I went up to Garraun Point again and saw Hotgloves and his brother and Dysan on his KTM. I had a little play offroad at that point.

On returning to the bunkhouse the reality of the length of time it had taken to get there from the ferry was starting to get the grey matter turning. The young girlie at the fuel station said there were no fuel stations open in Ireland in the early hours of the morning but there was one or two in Cork. I needed to travel 225-230 miles. I had a can of fuel with me so should be doable. My original plan was to bunk down till 2 or 2.30 am and be on the road for 3 am to get to Rosslare for 7-8 am. Reality check that Google had lied !!!! It would take longer than 4 hours.

I decided we would take Jones's lead and leave that night. I dragged Meesh from the pub, we packed up, loaded up and said our good byes and left just after midnight.

Some riders that missed the first ferry had got the second one and people were still arriving up to and beyond midnight as we were leaving.

That's when the fun (spelling error nightmare) started. Got back to Dingle fine, headed for Tralee but did not like the look of the small road that sat nav wanted to take me so carried on a bit. The next road looked equally dodgy. By then I had used up 20 precious fuel / miles. The next turning was taken. This was also single track, grass in the middle of the road, tarmac missing and gravel track. I think we also went over Connor Pass. We got to main tarmac stuff and then followed another single track that took us back over the mountain again and into a valley? It was like the lakes passes, drops, switchbacks and hairpins. Eventually we got back down to a main road R561. We had used up 40 fuel / miles.

It did not help that I had left my Ireland map on the kitchen table at home. I did however have a map with me but it was one of those 3 countries to an inch maps. Anything less than a motorway is not showing on it.

We followed the R561 for a bit and then sat nav took us on another wild goose chase. It did not know where we were, stopped directing us and we were on a track that ended at a farm field at the bottom of a valley. I tried to turn around in the tight single track space we had across the dried rutted mud but then the front wheel stuck whilst on lean and the bike went over as I lost the momentum. I managed to stop it dropping completely allowing Meesh to get off gracefully. Then she fell over !!. I could not hold the bike any longer and let it drop. After righting it up it would not start. I knew it was in gear and I could not get it out of gear. I was hoping the electrickery was not going to hamper our progress and my mind went into a million scenarios. Meesh (wonder mechanic) calmly said to take it out of gear. Eventually I did and upon getting it started we headed back from where we had left a road.

By now it was 2 am and we were no where near Tralee? Meesh said "Are we nearly there yet?" Not quite but she was asking how far we'd travelled.

I decided we would head south on N22 for Killarney and then Cork to get fuel and after a while we saw signs for N22. Followed this all the way to Cork, found a fuel station but no coffees etc. We left at 4.am and were already on the N25 by then. Next stop would be Rosslare. Meesh had several sleeps on the back (no surprises there then I hear you say) As I pressed on daylight started to arrive. The last bit of the N25 to Wexford was a staight line for 20 miles or so and the sun was just coming up on the road as it's horizon and I was riding into it. I could not see much ahead because of looking directly into the sun and it's reflection off the shiny road surface. I dare not squint incase my eyes shut. We eventually got to Rosslare Harbour for 6am and found a garage open with hot coffee.

Travelled 261 miles overnight.

Shortly after Jones arrived. He'd made it to Rosslare for 3am and found a hotel room.

As soon as we got on the ferry at 7am I fell asleep. I was woken up by the safety announcement but it felt like I had been asleep for hours as I felt wide awake. Disappointed I asked what the time was. It was 10am and there had been a fault and several announcements, none of which I had heard. Got some food and wandered around the boat for some fresh air. We got chatting to a lady that was impressed at what we were doing and like many people on the other boats made a donation.

The ferry docked at 2pm and we were off shortly after to be greated by Mudwiz. Stopped for a brief chat and headed off in the direction of Cardiff. Lots of traffic and sunny day meant it was very slow going. After a refreshment stop we pressed on to meet up with DDW at Newport J24 M4 McDonalds at 5.15 pm where we swapped all the luggage over and parted company at 6 pm for DDW to take Meesh home the rest of the way.

I decided to just head up the motorways A449 M50 M5 M6. Got to Frankley Services and after a refuel had a cat nap for 40 mins. The rest of the route was OK till I got to the M6 where there were road works and standing traffic from J17 to J14 and also further North. Filtered for about 20 miles. Got home 9.05 pm. Put all gear away, clothes in the wash, fed, showered and bed at last.

327 miles done since getting off the ferry at Fishguard

Meesh did incredibly well and lasted most of the mileage / hours in the saddle before she needed a leg stretch.

Total mileage for the weekend = 1540. The bike did well averaging mostly 50+ mpg, on a pace, two up with luggage. It has hardly used any oil from what I can see as the mark has not changed since I checked it before leaving.

Once again, another year, fantastic company, organisation and ride. Big thanks to all who made it possible

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
feck me - im knackered after reading that..and I was there!

Cant for a minute imagine turning round and coming back again even though we rode gently compared to you lot...and we never stopped at a single pub or had a single pint of guinness!

There should be an award for the maddest return journey!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hi Paul...
Rode with you and an RD04 for the first bit in the Rain then you and Meesh turned of and I followed the RD04.. ( sorry not sure who it was ), any way
he pulls into a layby to tell me he is not doing the Run but I was on the right road :rolleyes:

set of on my own and the hooked up riders 36 & 37.... fast pace and made it intime for the first ferry.. ( but was booked on the second !! )

got to The Bunkhouse as you and Meesh were suiting up !!

Hello I must be going.. well done you two :blob:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
feck me - im knackered after reading that..and I was there!

Cant for a minute imagine turning round and coming back again even though we rode gently compared to you lot...and we never stopped at a single pub or had a single pint of guinness!

There should be an award for the maddest return journey!
Thanks Farky

It was a tough decision but the only one and proved to be the right one

The hardest bit was when the sun was just rising above the road surface and I was riding along the N25 striaght into it for 20 miles ish. I daren't squint incase my eyes closed:toothy3:

You made it too. Well done :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Paul...
Rode with you and an RD04 for the first bit in the Rain then you and Meesh turned of and I followed the RD04.. ( sorry not sure who it was ), any way

got to The Bunkhouse as you and Meesh were suiting up !!

Hello I must be going.. well done you two :blob:
That was Jaqueslemac (James)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Brillant report mate :thumbright:

Rubs salt by the bucket load into my broken wrist and makes me realise just what I missed :(

But these brillant reports are the next best thing to being there :D:D:D

Well done mate, and all of you, on a brillant ride :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brillant report mate :thumbright:

Rubs salt by the bucket load into my broken wrist and makes me realise just what I missed :(

But these brillant reports are the next best thing to being there :D:D:D

Well done mate, and all of you, on a brillant ride :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:
Missed you on the ride too Tom. Glad to be able to share the experience. See you soon mate :thumbup:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Good report Paul, theres no way I could have done what you and Meesh did!!! Feel tired after just reading it.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks peeps

·
Apprentice Mud...wiz
442 Posts
Awesome report, must say, made me tired reading that, and as someone else said, I was there..
At huntingdon services you met, me-Ollie, BT-dad 2, and matt-littleport2003 now muddysuvner..:hitler:
Nice to have met you, and hope to do so again :p

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome report, must say, made me tired reading that, and as someone else said, I was there..
At huntingdon services you met, me-Ollie, BT-dad 2, and matt-littleport2003 now muddysuvner..:hitler:
Nice to have met you, and hope to do so again :p
Was it your bike the lights were cellotaped back on?

Thanks see you next time

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Great ride report Paul and a big big well done to you and all the others for yet again a great achievement, still gutted I had to pull out...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts