Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's account was hacked into a couple of days ago and over 1k £ has been taken. Just to warn anyone who may have made the same mistake, she had used the same password for both her email account and her paypal account.......I didn't know.....:mad:
Her email account was attacked first and used to send out spam messages and then the paypal account followed suit.

Not sure if this helps but I thought it wouldn't hurt to put a post up

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
My wife's account was hacked into a couple of days ago and over 1k £ has been taken. Just to warn anyone who may have made the same mistake, she had used the same password for both her email account and her paypal account.......I didn't know.....:mad:
Her email account was attacked first and used to send out spam messages and then the paypal account followed suit.

I've never had a paypal account but when my debit card was cloned i declared it to the bank as a legal fraud and had my money back in 2 working days. Don't know if this is the same for paypal as paypal seems to have appeared from nowhere over the last few years the financial ombardsman must be able to help in some way

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is why i don't leave any money in paypal.

Good to let people know though :thumbup:
she didn't leave money in the account...she registered our debit card on it!!:mad: so the dosh has gone str8 out of my current account.....:cry:
:D maybe I'll win the lottery this weekend......maatter is being investigated tho....

·
Posh Bird
562 Posts
OUch !!!!

Hope it all works out ok.....

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
You should be covered then, i had someone rob me a few years back (i am with Halifax) and i reported it to the relevant fruad department and it was investigated. Although i never found out exactly how they got my details, i was reimbursed the full ammount.

It wasn't through Paypal but you should be covered none the less.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OUch !!!!

Hope it all works out ok.....
Thaks guys and gal:thumbup:, I am sure it will be sorted. I just thought I'd better share.....Braclays too were good at refunding the money when my card was cloned some years ago.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I've been a bit silly in also using the same password for my paypal - well it was until around 20 mins ago, now changed.

Hope it all get sorted Tony:thumbleft:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it's a bit late now but, under NO circumstances, ever use a debit card on the Internet
exactly what I said......:thumbup:

I've been a bit silly in also using the same password for my paypal - well it was until around 20 mins ago, now changed.

Hope it all get sorted Tony:thumbleft:
Great u see...? I just saved you loads of money, now if you meet me in a pub you will know what to do!:D:D

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know it's a bit late now but, under NO circumstances, ever use a debit card on the Internet
I understand why you are saying that but I don't have a credit card.Perhaps I ought to get one just for internet shopping and make sure it is all paid off every month.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Supreme UltraMuppet
58 Posts
Just worth noting with paypal - paypal the company prefers you to have a bank account signed up as the transactions are free for them to use. I dont have a bank account registered with paypal and make sure its only my creditcard which is registered. if my paypal account is hacked and payments made, if paypal dont sort it out i can dispute the transactions with my creditcard company and get my money back. That was a tip learned the hard way. another thing is NOT to have the same password for paypal as your ebay account as Ebay accounts are often hacked.

if you dont have a creditcard, it is worth getting for all internet spending as then you are covered for companies going tits up or the item not arriving, etc etc etc and for cases of fraud like this.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
I understand why you are saying that but I don't have a credit card.Perhaps I ought to get one just for internet shopping and make sure it is all paid off every month.
Where do I start!
If they hack your credit card, you can rest reasonably easily as long as you weren't negligent.
If you use a debit card, your money leaves your account, your bank might say tough titty and then you can spend an age 'trying' to get your money back.
I work in IT and see the grief of hackers, spammers etc...
My wife used to do risk assessment and Money laundering checks for a bank and if I were to use a debit card online, I would quickly be made female by her.
She sees the grief everyday of people using debit cards.
DO NOT USE A DEBIT CARD ONLINE
There, I think that's clear:D:D:D

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I understand where your coming from and i nearly always use my debit card, only place (uptil now after typing this) that i've had problems was when i stopped for lunch in local pub, that was where my card got cloned. They made small payments to virgin mobile on my card which set the alarm bells ringing for 2 reasons, 1 there should have been more money available in the account and the second reason was that at the time i was with o2. Declared it to lloydsTSB as a legal fraud all money taken was then back in my account within 2 working days

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
If you use a debit card, your money leaves your account, your bank might say tough titty and then you can spend an age 'trying' to get your money back.
NOt true, you sign the legal paper work declaring the fraud. If it a fraudulent claim and found to be so you get charged. AS long as it's not a fraudulent claim there is no issue, i never had any issues just deal with reputable firms and shops

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
I had my debit card cloned. Luckily my bank (First Direct) picked it up straight away when only £15 had been taken (apparently it's quite common for the card to be 'tested' with only a small amount in the first instance, before they go for the jugular). Anyway, in conversation with the Bank's Fraud Detection Unit they made the point that they will refund fraudulent internet payments if paid directly by credit card, but not if they are made through Paypal drawn on your credit card - it is then Paypal's responsibility. So be careful out there!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I've had loads of cards cloned etc. Happens to me about every 15 - 18-months either my personal or my business credit card suddenly has loads of items on the bill or the fraud department ring up having spotted something.

But I do also use a debit card online - to buy my motorbike tax from the DVLA, otherwise there is an additional charge for using credit cards.

On the bright side, any probs Tony, let me know, they don't like journalists ringing them up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts