Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought recently a new HD camcorder, i can play all movies back using the software that sony supplied, my TV and the ps3 but not using windows media player.

Does anybody know if you have to get a codec for it and if so where can i get one

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
actually that probably wont help, thats for ripped/compressed movies that are in mkv format.

It sounds like you need something to play them in the camcorder format of AVCHD.

Try doing a search for AVCHD codec Download AVCHD Codec I know that VLC player is good for HD movies, a m8 uses it.

I just did a quick AVCHD Codec search on google and it was bringing up lots of players etc for AVCHD so you should be able to aort it out.

p.s. You will need one powerful pc to edit HD movies ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Do you know what type of file the vid is saving as eg .avi. .mov .mp4
?

If you try to play the vid in windows media player does it moan at you and if so what does it say.?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Do a search for the k-lite codec pack. Seems to include every codec you'll ever need. It's never let me down yet.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Really does depend on the camera, we recently picked up a couple of Zi6's (they're great as they have a 720P 60fps mode for bike/car mounting) and their format is MOV (probably due to a kodak/apple tie-up) though the codec is avc1 but any h264 decoder does.

Jason, try GSPOT (no dirty comments from anyone please) as that will give you information about the container and the audio/video codecs within that container

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for help guys & gals will try to find the codecs in a bit. I'm using the standard media player that came with Vista and the camera is a Sony HDR-XR106 HD Camcorder

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The latest ffdshow codecs do avchd so you should be fine with lazyman or cccp
Just downloaded both the suggested codec packs and have the same problem. Windows media player picks the clip i wanted to look at "codec aquired" comes up in the bottom of the screen for a few seconds then goes away and i'm left with a blued media player screen with a large musical symobol across it. The file i'm trying to get it to play is a m2ts file

L

·
0 Posts
Did you reboot afterwards? (M2ts is the container (a bit like MOV/MKV) and not the video codec which is avchd)

windows media player is known to be funny, try a free alternative with VLC instead that will very happily play those files

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Really does depend on the camera, we recently picked up a couple of Zi6's (they're great as they have a 720P 60fps mode for bike/car mounting) and their format is MOV (probably due to a kodak/apple tie-up) though the codec is avc1 but any h264 decoder does.
Have you tried this on a bike yet Kymmy? I have a cheapie camera for bike use but the video ripples and shimmys a bit due to vibration. Is this one solid and what is the quality like? Can you post a video?

I've looked for that before but couldn't find it :toothy2:

(no dirty comments from anyone please)
Ahh. Can you see what I have done? I'm in trouble now.

L

·
0 Posts
Have you tried this on a bike yet Kymmy? I have a cheapie camera for bike use but the video ripples and shimmys a bit due to vibration. Is this one solid and what is the quality like? Can you post a video?
All camera's will bounce, it's the post processing that realy counts. For a cheap solution to bounce try post-processing with vReveal which for less than £30 is a fantastic bit of very easy to use software

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
All camera's will bounce, it's the post processing that realy counts. For a cheap solution to bounce try post-processing with vReveal which for less than £30 is a fantastic bit of very easy to use software
Just had a look and I can't see any options that get rid of this ripple. Its not so much the whole frame that's bouncing around more while the frame is being grabbed it moves and causes ripple.

Have a look at Serowpapersrun.flv video by Ratcatcher_photos - Photobucket for an example. Not my video but posted here before I have have similar problems.

L

·
0 Posts
Hmmm, the ripple is normally induced by the encoding not coping with camera movement.. Not had any of that with the Zi6 though we haven't tried it on a bike yet (and not likely too for a bit)

Just uploading a quick test vid (no sound though) taken from the dash of a car a few weeks ago in 720P HD 60FPS mode

1 - 19 of 19 Posts