Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My tranny just died while out in spain, the con rod snapped appaently!

I have my eye on a 1996 PD06 engine to replace the old one. I hear that the 1996 engines had a "new whole electronic (TCI) ignition system (new ignition unit, new impulse ignition coils, new ignition advance, etc)".

I wondered if any one had direct experience of putting one of these newer engines in an older model?

I've already established the silver engines directly swap with the original black ones, but am not sure about the 1996...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently fitted a 1998 engine to a 1988 Transalp and it seems to have worked okay. You can keep the old CDI units and wiring loom. You will need to fit the old pulse generator coils and the old rotor plate if you can salvage them. By changing these parts, you fool the circuitry into thinking the new engine is an old one.

The job can be done without removing the clutch basket. I used the old penny trick.

98clutch07.jpg

The old rotor has just one tang on it; the new rotor has nine. and looks a bit like Oor Wullie's hairstyle!

98clutch02.jpg

p05qghh9.jpg

The new rotor is a touch thicker than the old, so I also had to add a thin, wide washer to stop the old rotor from wobbling.

98clutch06.jpg

Only other difference in the engines seems to be the external oil lines?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing! Thank you very much for the advice! Just had a quick go at taking off the old rotor plate bolt and it seems well and truly tight! Will try a bigger breaker bar... I shall be working on the bike next weekend and will report back how I fare. Just another quick question, did your original carbs fit on ok? I noticed that the newer bikes have new carbs and was worried that the fitting might be different?

Thanks agian!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't know the carbs were different. Mine fitted no problem. They do sit at a slight angle, but it was the same with the original engine.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. Today I have been painting the front spokes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again! Well as usual, that took longer than expected! But the end result is a successful 97 engine in an 87 bike! Took her for her first outing this morning and she is purring away happily. It feels more powerful too, though that could be wishful thinking...! Your penny trick worked a treat! I can't thank you enough for your advice. The carbs also went on just fine, so if they did change carb, they didn't change anything about the engine ports.

The old engine I took apart, the big end went. This would explain the nasty rattle I had been hearing at certain revs.

My most sincere thanks to this forum for saving my bacon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts