Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
having a problem that when I run to reserve, the petrol just trickles out. Taken off the petlock, cleaned filter etc- seems it is a sealed unit.

When I pass air through it (on reserve),using a compressor , acting as petrol- some air is returned back to the tank- while some goes to the pump (in theory)

Any ideas or help please

regards

rod

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right - update!
Cleared the fuel lines(air compressor)& changed the petrol filter inline.
The bike now runs until empty - with the fuel pump ticking away!

I have now lost the ability to switch from "on" to "off" or reserve to off- the "off" does not stop the fuel

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

rod

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'm assuming this is on an RD07?

If so, I'd hazard a guess that the plastic knob has been attached to the petcock with it in the wrong position possibly.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming this is on an RD07?

If so, I'd hazard a guess that the plastic knob has been attached to the petcock with it in the wrong position possibly.

Bob- I thought that also! (you know me well;))- i will check again, but at no position does the fuel supply stop/dry (off)

Yes- its an RD07a

·
2,701 Posts
have you checked that the plastic piece is actually turning the tap.

from memory the tap has a square section which the plastic part fit's over, remove the plastic part and turn the tap with pliers. (if you have'nt already)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies- update...
York to Bath today on business on the @;)
Ran out of fuel at 135- switched to reserve & heypresto- it worked!- got another 60miles of fuel in her!

All is coolio in the house of Rod!

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'm hoping you didn't have a full tank Rod, because 135 miles to reserve sounds lousy MPG!!!

What was the issue with the petcock in the end, did you solve it??

Bob

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bob- i have always got around 135-150 to reserve and 70-100 to pushing!, making around 250 per tank full- obviously dependent upon the level of spirited riding i'm observing-;)- is 230-250per tank bad?- what should I be getting?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hi Bob- i have always got around 135-150 to reserve and 70-100 to pushing!, making around 250 per tank full- obviously dependent upon the level of spirited riding i'm observing-;)- is 230-250per tank bad?- what should I be getting?

RD07 obviously works a lot different to RD03/04's it seems, although I do realise the tank and stuff are completely different.

I get 160-170 until amber light comes on.

190-200 until red light comes on as well.

210 ish til I have to turn the right fuel tap on

220+, and it's then a case of pushing!!!!

Nah Rod, 230 to 250 sounds pretty good to me!!!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Don't you have both taps "on" all the time?

Nope, never, on any of the AT's I've owned.

I always leave the right side off, that way, if I'm ever stupid enough to ignore both level lights and run out of fuel, I know that I've got about 10 miles reserve in the lower right of the tank.

If you do it on the left side, where the two level sensors are located, it can confuse you and the lower (red) sensor.

Bob :thumb:

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
I do hope that is not my old bike Rod - she produced 185 untill reserve and I worked on the basis that 250 was when I needed to look for a garage!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts